2- day 20 miles with Hammock, Parastove and plenty of lights. Night hiking to camp.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
As part of a challenge to get out there and use a knife, the MLL Amazon I went on a two day 20 mile backpack outing. I wanted to hike the harshest terrain around. A place I went through 10 years ago, avoiding doing so again till now. Also wished to use a shelter system which combines a hammock, tarp and hot tent characteristics. With the exception of a few storms and one extreme cold snap it has been an easy winter. Even in the hills there is only the rarest patch of snow hidden away in shadowed nooks. My pack was on the heavy side which was also part of the physical challenge.

Ready to go!

Hard ground started off right way. Not much time to warm up.

I have a full fire kit which has tinder plus 3 modern means of igniting a fire. These include Bic lighters, matches and firesteel. Despite having cotton balls mixed with petroleum jelly tinder why not use what is within nature so to conserve the packed resources for another day when such opportunities are not available or time doesn't allow. Bushcraft skills aren't just for bushcraft outings alone. Let's get some cedar and White birch bark. I tend to gather these resources at the first opportunity as don't know when the next chance will occur.

Cedar. I can take to hanging bark without harm to the tree.

White birch bark from a fallen tree. Ideal however even if alive careful removal of the hanging bark is harmless. In this case it doesn't matter. Can't hurt dead things.

Dusk in the hills is a wondrous time.

This was going to be a long night hike. Lots of small streams with good water. Not worried about filling up but would wait till camp. One pro of a hammock shelter system is the ability to pitch camp in more areas so long as there are properly spaced trees. I don't need a rock/brush/root free or even a level spot though flatter ground is nicer for camping. Something that can be problematic in these woods.

A glacial erratic. I suspect one day the mile deep ice will return moving this boulder yet again.

The terrain started to get harsher.

My pack was bottoming out on the rocks. In spots it would hardly squeeze through some gaps. Other places I didn't have a spot for my next step. It was uglier than I remembered 10 years ago but then again everything is harder in the dark, worst still there was a deep leaf cover which never got degraded over the winter as there was no real snow base. Right in the middle of the action I lost the medium mode on my headlamp. Forgot it was used for a recent blackout. I keep an extra flashlight in an easy to access spot during long night hikes for just such an issue. Initial field testing of a Armytek C1 Prime Pro.

I like the Fenix HL30 headlamp but it's a PITA to change the batteries and more so in the dark. It was too floody to see far enough ahead to work out the best way to scamper down. Normally an extra floody beam is a pro for a headlamp but not always. I used the flashlight's greater throw for a spot light in addition to the headlamp. That said I needed to put the extra flashlight back in my pocket each time after working out the best next 100 feet as needed at least 3 points of contact to avoid falling.

Changing batteries on the fly for both the photo camera and headlamp. Sorry to say my extra set of Rayovac's were dead. Not sure why but had even more batteries within my pack. Might need to toss those.

Still had the hardest terrain ahead.

Finally after what seemed like forever I made it to my planned destination. First order of business was a snack and water.

I found two nicely spaced trees over flat ground. Ideal with the exception of these multiflora roses.

Invasive and downright nasty. Unless literally cut out they would be a constant problem. No joke. These things are nasty and this is a good spot for camp. Not native to the area aka invasive and nasty evil thing. Out yea go!

Your new home. Odds are those nasty things will regrow.

Ok it's not a bow drill set but these are the jobs that have gotta be done or I would need to find another spot which there wasn't any better. With that life and death struggle won, mostly as they did manage to stick a few thorns into my hands I decided to call it a night setting up the hammock. One downside to packing a wood stove is convenience. A pocket rocket and alcohol stove would have been instant gratification. I wasn't in the mood to mess around with much of anything at 1 AM.

Nice sunny day. I slept in!

So how do I fit a tent stove with pipe inside my pack? The pipe rolls up and stove is collapsible. Total weight is under 3 lbs.

The Kifaru Parastove is the smallest box stove I have ever seen. I don't think any smaller would be practical but this works. Yes it does.

The stove is set up and ready to GO! I have the birch and cedar bark as tinder. Quickly gathered and split wood, just enough for breakfast and to warm up. I will work on more wood later.

Despite having a Bic and packed tinder I will be using a firesteel, knife and natural foraged tinder. Why not use what nature has to offer saving what's inside my pack for another day when such opportunities aren't so readability available.

And we have fire!

Better yet we have fire under a tarp. I have done this during heavy rain without much issue as the stove is scooted a bit under the tarp. The smoke is being directed away. Not only that but it turns the wood to a fine ash plus is totally off the ground. The spark arrestors keep embers down. It's the ultimate in leave no trace fire IMHO.

Yes that's bacon. It was cold enough to keep just fine.

Real bacon mixed with MH freeze dried eggs. Cooking on a flat stove top in the woods has a very civilized feel compared to most backpacking stove pot supports.

Wild edibles right near camp. Not as good as the bacon however.

Something we hardly ever talk about. How do yea keep the cameras running in the field? Battery packs and extra batteries.

I like to hang my clothing and sleeping bag out if possible.

Going to split up some wood for the stove. It runs best on dense split wood however will also burn twigs and round stuff.

Nice pile of split wood. This is very dense energy which will burn for many hours in that little firebox.

Split wood stacked. Notice how the stove is actually under the tarp.

Twigs to stoke the stove and supplement the split wood. Believe it or not this small pile lasted for 7 hours of constant burn. The split wood is really responsible for the lion's share but the twigs helped.

Organizing the camp for the second night.

I keep gear under the tarp but not directly under my body in case the hammock should fall in the night. With my luck I would get impaled on something crushing my kit as well. The ground cloth (optional) and closed cell pad are kept away for the edges of the fly. If beyond the fly it would collect runoff from the tarp flooding my gear. Groundwater wouldn't harm me sleeping as this is yet another pro of a good hang. Still I packed a larger tarp so my stuff wouldn't get wet in case of rain.

Water for the night ready to drink. This is all potable however keep a kettle of untreated water on the stove to utilize the heat during startup. Once the stove is properly stoked that kettle will be boiling ready to go for hot beverages or cooking. Again using natural resources to supplement my tablets and filter.

Dusk is turning into night. I expect temps to drip just below freezing as was the case during the first night. The heat and light from the stove are welcome at night. Going to use the same method of fire starting.

The stove is stuffed with White birch bark and twigs. This will take off fast!

The sun is going down but the stove is burning great!

Remember that kettle on top of the stove? Using that to boil some funky grain which takes 14-18 minutes. Normally if packing a gas stove this would be a no go. When using wood cook times aren't as big of a deal.

Bacon!

Looks good!

Coffee is ready.

I like warm socks before going to bed. Yea they look funky.....

Smoke and fire. I really like running a hanging lantern in camp. Makes camp easy to find if walking away at night and it's nice to get the headlamp and boots off.

Packing up the next day. Some gear items I found useful.

1. MLL Amazon knife.
2. Folding saw.
3. Kifaru Parastove.
4. HL30 headlamp.
5. 4/7 2XAA mini plus DIY lantern attachment. Armytek C1 Prime pro on a field test.

Ready to head out.

Cool looking wolf tree.

We have these old remains of homes etc in New England. Both the tree and these rocks are probably connected. Perhaps the tree provided shade for some long gone yard? The people and most of their work is gone but the tree remains. Nature is just like that.

Only the occasional patch of snow. It was an easy winter.

Snow is expected soon per the weather forecast so I hope these survive. Then again they always do.

Here is a video of this outing.

Thanks for looking!

scout24

Flashaholic
+1 on the cool posts! LOVE the parastove, so compact yet puts out so much heat for it's size. Enough stove for my tipi. I'm sure you've been through Doodletown in Bear Mountain State Park, those foundation pictures of yours remind me of there. You were a bit further away from civilization though, I'm sure... That must have been one heck of a night hike.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah that stove is badass! I recently met a guy with a similar stove and a tarp/tent me made from scratch. I think they're generally referred to as hot tents. Man, that thing was nice and warm with the hammock running thru it.

Woods Walker

Yeah that stove is badass! I recently met a guy with a similar stove and a tarp/tent me made from scratch. I think they're generally referred to as hot tents. Man, that thing was nice and warm with the hammock running thru it.

Hot tenting is the term. Normally that stove is with my Paratipi during the margins of the seasons, late Autumn and early Spring. Like so.

Thanks for the positive remarks everyone. :)

ncgrass

Enlightened
Thanks for this post. Great to see all the gear in action, especially since I have the same armytek =)

I'm waiting for my work contract to expire so I can do the same as I'm backpacking across Canada. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas! Please keep them up, there's a lot of us that enjoy these posts.

Edit: spelling correction

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thoroughly enjoyed your trip Woods Walker! As I hiker, I can appreciate the terrain. I've been considering one of those stoves for some time; looks like it worked great. By the way, I also sleep only in a hammock, what hammock is that?

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Thanks for this post. Great to see all the gear in action, especially since I have the same armytek =)

I'm waiting for my work contract to expire so I can do the same as I'm backpacking across Canada. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas! Please keep them up, there's a lot of us that enjoy these posts.

Edit: spelling correction

Thanks! The little C1 did ok. Had some flood but good throw as well given the size of LED to reflector etc etc. Upon retrospect I should have taken a different headlamp but it all worked out well.

Thoroughly enjoyed your trip Woods Walker! As I hiker, I can appreciate the terrain. I've been considering one of those stoves for some time; looks like it worked great. By the way, I also sleep omly in a hammock, what hammock is that?

Hennessy Hammock Explorer DLX. Maybe 12 years old at this point. If not for that and the Downmat during deep winter I wouldn't go out as much. Good sleep!

Woods Walker

On a side note that older XP-G1 4/7 2XAA Mini worked great as a DIY hanging lantern on medium. Not sure why this light never really got much love on CPF. It has gotta be the most UL 2XAA available. Maybe it's 2XAA that's gone a bit to the wayside?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I love the fact that you actually use your stuff for what it was intended.i do the same. It drives me nuts when someone gets a light for a piticular reason such as hikeing and then post that there is a speck of dust on the lens! Great post!

Woods Walker

I love the fact that you actually use your stuff for what it was intended.i do the same. It drives me nuts when someone gets a light for a piticular reason such as hikeing and then post that there is a speck of dust on the lens! Great post!

I am actually ok with people collecting kit and coddling it. But I rather use it! Thanks for looking.

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Like watching a movie.

What knife is that? Looks similar to a BHK.

Woods Walker

Like watching a movie.

What knife is that? Looks similar to a BHK.

MLL Amazon and it's really good. BHK also rocks. For the most part my preferred knife makers are BHK/LT, Jeff White and Mora though would consider another MLL in the future. Thanks for looking!