Mysterious AAAA explosion

Illum

Flashaholic
Yesterday around 2-3AM I heard what appeared to be a muffled gunshot just outside my room by the hallway near the front door. I got up quietly, grabbed my 9mm and started clearing the rooms all the way till I made it to the front door. The front door was intact, nothing appeared missing or misplaced, there was no burning electrical smell or any indication that was amiss. I went back to sleep.

Today I did a little investigation [actually I was looking for something] when I stumbled on this. A pack of Radioshack Enercell Alkaline AAAA's exploded and shot out of the carton holding it. Originally bought for my stylus which has gone missing YEARS ago I had forgotten I still had those batteries. Dated 2011 they were obviously expired, but what surprised me was how violent they blew out, apparently shorting themselves.

Carton
dh3ku1.jpg

4kfj1i.jpg

What was found, one of the batteries innerds was still intact, but both are completely hollowed out and completely lined with carbon
2zsxob4.jpg

Close up of one of the "guts." The central carbon rod is still in place, although missing a segment
13ypkw2.jpg

Cell pictures
261btif.jpg

2lsdsg3.jpg

10dio34.jpg

zohsy.jpg

Obvious expiration
9t1w1f.jpg

The innerd found was glued to the rear of the drawer here, blew "salt" and "pepper" all over the drawer.
2s80iti.jpg

Someone give me a theory on what the heck happened:candle:

Last edited:

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday around 2-3AM I heard what appeared to be a muffled gunshot just outside my room by the hallway near the front door. I got up quietly, grabbed my 9mm and started clearing the rooms all the way till I made it to the front door.

You're leaving out some crucial information.

What light did you use? :D

But seriously, glad nothing more adverse occurred.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My god that really is an event,only today I have ordered some new plastic cases that hold 4 AA or 4 AAA and after reading that glad I did.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
something in the design of the aaaa cell makes them prone to this.9v uses 6 of these and i have seen plenty of those with the ends popped out.they build up gas and instead of leaking they pop.
those were best before 2011 so no surprise.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSSHHH do you want them to ban alkaline battery`s from being shipped my air also :ohgeez:

I have a few Alkaline AAAA myself for a Samsung Stylus from when i had an Note, Just sitting there as nothing else uses them.

John.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSSHHH do you want them to ban alkaline battery`s from being shipped my air also :ohgeez:

I have a few Alkaline AAAA myself for a Samsung Stylus from when i had an Note, Just sitting there as nothing else uses them.

John.

Who on earth decided to invent AAAA ? Over here in the UK they are expensive and I can think of only one torch that uses them.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who on earth decided to invent AAAA ? Over here in the UK they are expensive and I can think of only one torch that uses them.

They were unbelievably expensive in the states too, a co-worker had a pen light that used them and he always complained at their cost, so I told him "Just buy and disassemble a 9v and get 6 for the cost of 2". :)

Capolini

Banned
Maybe you could ask the manufacturer/RadioShack

Unfortunately MOST of the stores are gone and "OUT OF BUSINESS".I use to take my L.Ions there to recycle them........1 mile from my house.

Not many left in PA,closest one open is 25 miles away!.........Hopefully he will have better luck in FLA.:)

GENERAL WIRELESS BOUGHT THEM LAST NOVEMBER.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were unbelievably expensive in the states too, a co-worker had a pen light that used them and he always complained at their cost, so I told him "Just buy and disassemble a 9v and get 6 for the cost of 2". :)

I have used that trick as well lol.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear you are okay. It must be scary to wake up thinking a gun has been fired in your house.

It is good to see that your exploding batteries did only limited damage.

Illum

Flashaholic
Both batteries exploded at the same time? Or did the heat buildup from one of them cause the other one to fail also?

I just heard what appears to be a single report, only it sounded odd. I woke up from it thinking someone fired a shot into the door with small arms fire. Honestly I really don't know whether both exploded at the same time. It scares me to know that the two exploded at separate instances.... that means they are not only internally unstable, but thermally as well

Yustax

Newly Enlightened
Jesus, were these left under the sun or what? I hope you were ok when it happened.