Southern Grind

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking into getting a Southern Grind Spider Monkey or Bad Monkey. Anyone have any insight into these 2?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was comparing these 2 knives that I already have. The Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and a 511 Tarani. The back straps are identical. The blades are different for obvious reasons, but when I stack them on top of each other, the lines are identical. The Southern Grind Bad Monkey looks very similar to the 2 here.
cc6769d75c54370a89ec24237cd0f5cb.jpg

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. No one has any insight on Southern Grind? I am surprised. I bought a Spider Monkey, just waiting for it to come in.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
21e8b0b922f0276e78b9c8ba5a8cc20b.jpg

The Spider Monkey is on top. The bottom 2 are the Bad Monkey. I must say that the Spider Monkey is a really nice knife. Very well made.

mistercoffee

Newly Enlightened
The Southern Grind Bad Monkey is the best 'Emerson Wave' equipped knife I've ever used... That's the patented system that allows the knife to be engaged (i.e. opened from it's folded position) in the same motion that you draw it out of your pocket. I'd previously owned an Emerson CQC-6 knife with the wave feature, but the Southern Grind Bad Monkey is exponentially better in that it never fails to deploy (unlike the Emerson), and it's also seriously mean looking! Take a look:

IMG_7102.jpg

doug5551

Newly Enlightened
I have a bad monkey and I highly recommend it. Very sharp and great quality. However it is very large so if you don't like large knives you should pass.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Southern Grind got off to a slow start sales wise but have really picked up lately. Great knives but a little to expensive for my blood