• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

JEERS to Curator - be aware of this Thief !

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Hello!

Thats the first time in my life something like this happened to me, someone ripped me off.

His Name is Mark or Steve, dont really now. His Synonym here is "Curator". He seems
to live in Manchester/England.

First up! If anyone nows this Person or can help me in any Way, please shoot me a PM!
I have started legal Action here in Germany. Upper Authorities then the local Police will
forward the Facts to the local Authorities.

I dont really know, if this will end up in a Jugdement, but i will do everything i can to get this Person.

I was looking for a Hanko Trident Ti Twisted for my Fathers 75.Birthday. The hole Family collected
Money to make this Possible. Curator shoots me an Email and send me some Pictures of a Gen.2 Hanko
he pretends to have. 3 different Pictures in 2 different Situations. I am such an Idiot to have him paid
by Paypal Gift, but he was very pleasent, i dont know why i did this. He aggrees with me to send only
fully insured and with tracking, due to a high Value Light like this. Althuogh i never had a lost Package
coming from the UK.

Now are 5 Weeks are gone. Nothing!

He still anwsered my Email and posted here once, that he has shipped both Lights. He seems to have
tried or sold another Hanko, he pretends to have. He NEVER provided any Trackingnumber to me. He
said his Wife has send it and forgot to send it insured / trackable.

Due to the fact i paid by Gift i had no chance starting a Claim thruogh Paypal. But Paypal Germany
did start a Claim as a Gesture of Goodwill. At the End Paypal UK closes the Claim, because he again
pretends to have send the Light and provided to Paypal a tracking Numer - "003345678" and refers
of a non existing Parcel Company. Pretty mysterious, but again he lies and cheated Paypal and me.
I tried to complain against the Decision Paypal UK made. The only Way on the Website was to change
the Claim to the Fact i got it, that is how the Website is working. The Person Curator is now lucky
because he thinks that he is prepared once the Police will contact him.

Be aware Curator, you will get jugded!

You never shipped anything, or if you really did, not insured as you promised (your fault!!!).
You never provided a tracking Number.
You cheated me and Paypal with a wrong Tracking Number.

The worst fo me, was the Situation when i needed to explain to my whole Family that i lost
the Money and have to Hanko...

This is what you have done to me Steve or Mark or whatever is your Name. I will never forget this!

Any Help and Informations are HIGHLY appreciated. Once the Police Contacts Paypal the need to
give his Adress to the upper Authorities.

Last edited:

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Best of luck in resolving this. Lesson learned for me in being truthfull in the PP gift thing.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Yeah Lesson learned. Somehow this Person will be jugded. If its not
me, it will be Karma.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear this & i hope things will turn in your favor..
I barely escaped the exact same issue with a purchase of a JK Twisted trident too, just a month ago. The saving grace for me was that i wasn't able to pay via gift to get a discount & hence i was able to get all my money back.
The "seller" took the photos of the legit owner & posed as the owner trying to sell the light he never owned..

There are just too many of these scammer/fraudsters that its difficult to know who are the legit ones & who are the fakes.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
That sou ds intersting...hmmm can sou foward the pictures to me?
Perhaps these are he same?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lesson for all unless you know the person and have built up trust never ever send money via Pay Pal gift as you are asking for trouble in the event of a claim.On a personal note, I will never fall for the scam of buyer pays the fees either.If I am selling something I cover the fees and do not expect the buyer to.

One tip for UK users not sure for rest of the world,if possible when buying expensive items outside of Pay Pal always use a credit card as they will get your money back in the event of problems.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
The lesson for all unless you know the person and have built up trust never ever send money via Pay Pal gift as you are asking for trouble in the event of a claim.On a personal note, I will never fall for the scam of buyer pays the fees either.If I am selling something I cover the fees and do not expect the buyer to.

One tip for UK users not sure for rest of the world,if possible when buying expensive items outside of Pay Pal always use a credit card as they will get your money back in the event of problems.

Words of wisdom^^

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sou ds intersting...hmmm can sou foward the pictures to me?
Perhaps these are he same?
That person removed all photos right after the deal was done, cant help u on this. Sorry man..

I was supposed to be 'buying' a brass Twisted trident from a person named Pat Hasbrook..

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Toby, I'm greatly troubled to read of your, and your familie's, situation. I'm sure it was a very unpleasant task to inform them that do to fraud someone was able to swindle you out of the money they entrusted to you. I hope your family can forgive you.

~ Chauncey Gardiner

sticktodrum

Enlightened
That's really rough, I'm sorry to hear that. In the states, Hankos go for $1000 USD or so...and frankly I have no idea why anyone would send that much money to someone as a PayPal gift.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Yes i dont know why i did that...i was in a Goodwill. Dont know why.

And Chauncey sure my Family forgives me, due its my Family. :)
So my Father got a McGizmo haiku from me.

Yes i dont know why i did that...i was in a Goodwill. Dont know why.

And Chauncey sure my Family forgives me, due its my Family. :)
So my Father got a McGizmo haiku from me.

Do they realize that when you committed fraud against PayPal you removed the protection provided to buyers, and that is why you can't get a refund?

~ Chauncey Gardiner

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, I feel bad now. I remember when you posted the WTB. I almost contacted you to offer you mine. I was thinking really hard about upgrading to a super fancy Zirc version. But, this is sad, especially when you consider what a great guy Toby is. Junk like this is why I pretty much so stay away from any Gift payments. Unless I have done business with them before. Not that this is the case this time, but other reasons not to Gift: even things out of the sellers control can happen. They could fall gravely ill, auto accidents, family tragedy heck they can even die. One way I justify the 4% fees. It usually costs you less than a $1 a day to HELP protect your purchase.
Just remember, even with using Goods & Services there are ways you can be scammed easily as both the buyer and seller. I won't post how it is done. In fact if you read all the scams you can figure it out. But there are ways to try and protect yourself there too.

If someone is insistent on using Gift, especially high dollars, I walk. I liken it to a Money Order. Once it leaves your hands, it is a gone pecan. All the times I got burned on buying stuff and never getting it, I stupidly used Gift. Granted it was relatively "cheap" stuff. But still. In Toby's case, I would feel sick. Sorry to hear brother.

Story time (only read this if you are bored) lol: I mixed up things shipping once. The buyer thought I was scamming him. I sold two lights. One expensive, and one cheap. I shipped a cheap light to wrong guy (on the West Coast), and the expensive one went to the wrong person on the other side of the US. I had a family tragedy the day I was shipping and I got mixed up. The first email I got was from the guy who got wrongly got the cheap light. He was totally freaking out cause he gifted the money and called me all kinds of nasty things. But, after all the insults, I gave him my cell number and talked to him and explained it was just a honest mess up. In the end, I made it all square. I owned a huge thank you to the guy who got the expensive light and helped me by not trying to skip off with it, and shipping it directly to the correct buyer. That dumb little mix up cost me almost $100 in overnight shipping expenses.
After I thought about it, the guy who got the expensive light, could have just never responded and kept the light. I would have been out of the light and the money!!

Skeeterg

Enlightened
So sorry to hear this,and I do hope you can catch this scum bag. Was it shipped to a po box or an address? Take care

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to see old and respected members getting ripped off. Good luck to you Toby and let's all keep an eye on this thief...

toby_pra

Flashaholic
So sorry to hear this,and I do hope you can catch this scum bag. Was it shipped to a po box or an address? Take care

What you mean? He hasnt shipped anything...i was trying to sell me a Hanko Trident Ti, i paid him,
but he never shipped. AND he seems to do that not only once. Paypal told me, that there are several claims
regarding this Paypalaccount. :(

sinner-cpf

Newly Enlightened
So sorry to hear the trouble you have to go through because of this, I hope he gets what he deserves and you get justice.
I've been in a position where i had to justify someone elses mistake to my family and it isn't the best feeling.