Review: NexTool TaoTool KT5509

xelario

Newly Enlightened
When NEXTORCH contacted me about reviewing their new lantern UL360 (review) they also asked me if I wanted to take a look at a tool for opening packages – TaoTool KT5509 by their brand NexTool. I figured why not, it's a tool I'll actually use.

I am not a "professional unboxer" and don't open packages all day, every day, so having a specialty tool for this purpose never was a must, but TaoTool marketing material was spot on and reminded me of more than a few situations where I struggled with scissors and different knives.

Specs provided by the manufacturer:
Material: Sandvik 12C27
Coating: Teflon®
Open Length: 110.6mm
Closed length: 68mm
Weight: 32g

TaoTool is packaged in a clear plastic box with the tool itself presented in the middle.

TaoTool_01_zpsjmx25n4n.jpg
TaoTool_02_zpscbqtd1u4.jpg
TaoTool_03_zpsfx0vlsxt.jpg

There are no accessories in the box, just the tool itself. TaoTool is key shaped, meant to go on your keychain.

TaoTool_04_zps2y5l8glm.jpg

The blade is made of Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel and coated with non-stick Teflon coating to repel glue from packaging. It locks tight with lockback mechanism.

TaoTool_05_zpssctmdzjn.jpg

To close it, latch must be pressed:

TaoTool_06_zpswcpv1jkw.jpg

TaoTool is 5.4mm thick.

TaoTool_07_zpsalco0ucb.jpg

At 68mm, TaoTool is a bit longer than a regular key, about the length of a small AAA keychain light, like a Fenix E05.

TaoTool_08_zps3lleoi5r.jpg

Both hook and blade parts of the TaoTool came sharp enough to cut a padded envelope and a cardboard box, and it was breeze. I especially liked opening a box closed with sticky tape, just "hook it in" and drag.

Teflon coating seems to work, I haven't noticed any gunk accumulating on the blade yet.

Overall, it works as advertised and does what it's supposed to pretty well. TaoTool KT5509 is a handy little tool to have and it will be used for all my package opening requirements from now on.

TaoTool KT5509 was provided by NEXTORCH for review.
Thank you for reading.

Last edited: