Malkoff 5000k m61/91 drop in

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi is there any malkoff m61 m91 drop ins for an elzetta host which could be 5000k 80/90cri?.
are these anywhere available or can someone custom build one ?.

Has to be 5000k white.
80/90 cri will do.

thanks.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 80 CRI spec shouldn't be too hard to meet, though I doubt 90 CRI will be possible without an emitter swap. Gene made a batch of custom 5000K M61 XM-L2 T6 experimental drop-ins numerous years ago. They come up for sale here occasionally.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
Worth buying a drop in and swap emitter for 5000k?.

Your 80 CRI spec shouldn't be too hard to meet, though I doubt 90 CRI will be possible without an emitter swap. Gene made a batch of custom 5000K M61 XM-L2 T6 experimental drop-ins numerous years ago. They come up for sale here occasionally.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
Worth buying a drop in and swap emitter for 5000k?.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks is there a possibility one could be built?.
Custom runs are not routine, and not really for making just a single module, but have certainly been done on occasion.

If you are serious about the issue, phoning Malkoff direct would likely be the next step.

You might need to source the emitters, since those specs are rather specific and difficult to find. I think Samsung 3535 may have a 5000K / CRI 80 emitter bin.

Oslon SSL80 has 5000K / CRI 82 bins, too.

I don't know much about the Luxeon TX, but there seems to be a 5000K / CRI 85 bin for those.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
Malkoff got back to me with this reply which is understandable;

"Malkoff Devices IncI genuinely appreciate the inquiry and your faith in my abilities. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for customs anymore. There is a lot more to it than just putting an emitter behind a reflector. It takes time and prototypes to get it right.

3 hours ago · Sent from Web "

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm with you on this 5000K at 80 or 90 CRI!! That would be perfect!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, agreed ... that is quite reasonable and even expected.

I have little doubt, though, that as emitter tech continues to improve in tint and color rendering ... eventually there will be a Malkoff that will meet (or likely exceed) your requirements :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
5000K Malkoff's are very uncommon but:
  • The first-run M61W's and M31W's were 5000K - I have two of the 5000K M31W's and I like them very much. However, they were made with some of the earliest non-cool XPG's available so were probably 80CRI tops.
  • The second 'W' runs were 4000K-4500K IIRC (have only read this here on the forum).
  • Subsequent runs were ~3700K, with the official "Neutrals" @ 4500K. I know that 500K is splitting hairs but I can easily see the tint difference when comparing my 4500K M61N to my 5000K M31'W's.

I happen to own the only 5000K Malkoff M91N in existence, :devil: although there are a couple of custom 4000K M91N's out there as well.

More info here:
Rare Malkoff P60 dropin compendium - listing & pics

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
JMhFrGa.jpg

Mine is also the "N" ( not "W" version) .... Corrected above, to clarify :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I haven't run it in years. I'm not much of a photographer, but maybe I'll try to get a beamshot ?

The only part of its purchase history I remember is ... that I bought it [emoji14]

Did you sell me yours, by chance, lol ?

archimedes

Flashaholic
ETVdSUr.jpg

Looks pretty true to "neutral white" to me, I must say, on both low and high.

On high, the hotspot is frosty white, with just a hint towards green in the corona. I should note that I am highly sensitive to green in light tints.

On low, there is less apparent tint divergence, and it looks rather flat white, though not snow white.

My extremely unscientific and unmeasured guesstimate would put this at ~ 5100K.

I have a strong preference for warmer tints, and this is not a warm white tint.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. PM me if you're looking to pass it on.

ETVdSUr.jpg

Looks pretty true to "neutral white" to me, I must say, on both low and high.

On high, the hotspot is frosty white, with just a hint towards green in the corona. I should note that I am highly sensitive to green in light tints.

On low, there is less apparent tint divergence, and it looks rather flat white, though not snow white.

My extremely unscientific and unmeasured guesstimate would put this at ~ 5100K.

I have a strong preference for warmer tints, and this is not a warm white tint.