Acebeam EC50 initial impressions

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
Opened up the package today and gave it a once over. Ships in a nice padded box with the battery inside the light which was odd to me as all of my other lights I ordered had the battery inside the packaging, not inside the light. No big deal, just odd. It had a plastic tab to keep from the battery from making contact with the rear clicky.

The o ring and threads were came lubed well and the threads are painted black. The contact points are gold plated and the one in the head looks as though it could use some Deoxit. The rubber o ring inside the tailswitch is bulging a bit through my spring, I tried to loosen the retaining ring inside the tailcap but is on extremely tight and I will need to use my nice snap ring pliers I have at work tomorrow to loosen it up and hopefully position it better. The light is advertised as having two springs, one in the tail and head, I cannot see or feel a spring in the head section. Also in the literature, it mentions its weapon mountable. I am hoping someone can explain why I can't see or feel that head spring :shrug:.

Turned it on and ran through the modes. Nice operation with the button by the head to change the modes. Seems like it will become natural over time kind of like my Nitecore P12 did. When holding down the mode selector switch for MAX, there is an small audible noise (which is kind of cool) and you will get the sun coming out of the end of that flashlight. But only for a short time. With the battery being close to dead from the factory, I could only achieve MAX for a few seconds and it would kick me into firefly mode. Most of the time it would stay in firefly mode no matter how I clicked the mode changing button, but if I clicked the tails witch off then back on I could re cycle through the modes.

This is worrisome as I'm not sure if this is how it is designed to work or if this is a malfunction. I changed the battery on my Nitecore D2 charger for about 2 and a half hours and took it outside. I live in a suburban area so I do not have access to a large area but was able to run it out to about 30 yards. The beam has a somewhat defined hotspot but is definatly made for flood. At 30 yards it will light up a 50ft tree well. There is a big noticeable difference from 1700 lumens to 2500 lumens. With the battery around 50% full I could only achieve 2500 lumens for about 15 to 20 seconds before again it would kick me out into firefly. I would be forced to turn off and then back on the light in order to change modes again.

I am thinking this is either a safety feature for the light so it doesn't melt itself and when you turn it off and back on it resets possibly? Or the light is malfunctioning and I need to send it in for repair. I want to give it a full charge and a full day at work with me before I decide. Also any input from knowledgable members here about this issue would be much appreciated.

Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to get a full report on how it's fared in my travel and useage. I will also try and get some pics up. Any info on the above mentioned issues would be appreciated.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the initial info. Looking forward to hearing your extended observations. How is the tint? Fully cool white, neutral end of cool white, more fully neutral white?

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
I would describe it as a neutral white to neutral end of cool white. Definatly not nearly as cool as some of my other cool white led flashlights.

ven

Flashaholic
The cells should come 50%(ish) charged during storage/transit and also usually inside the light due to flight regulations. They have to be contained basically...........not loose.

Once the cell is under a set V it will not sustain a high output, so it will drop off. Best bet is too fully charge the cell(might take a bit on the D2!) and try again, even after a couple of hours charging it might not be much over 4v..............just thoughts.

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
Voltage was right at 3.7 when I put on chager. Took about 4 or 5 hours for full charge on the d2.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Wow. I'm surprised it is that fast. What brand battery is it? Is battery protected?

ven

Flashaholic
Ideally a 2a charge rate will see you right, if no rush then no problemo!! For a well priced single bay charger, check Xtar out, the sp1 will do 2a rate to name one.

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
Is your light the 5000 or 6000k?

I believe its a 6000k as I remember reading that the 5000k will be released later. It does not say on the box which it is. It is surprisingly warm for a "cool" light.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ckellyme3,
Is it possible the head spring is contained-I have had a couple lights where the spring in in a brass casing(think like a .38 cal spent casing). It maintains the spring but in cases of violent motion it prevents the spring from bending in half and short circuiting the light. When you push in the battery from the tail section does it "give" like a spring? Just a possible explanation...

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
Ckellyme3,
Is it possible the head spring is contained-I have had a couple lights where the spring in in a brass casing(think like a .38 cal spent casing). It maintains the spring but in cases of violent motion it prevents the spring from bending in half and short circuiting the light. When you push in the battery from the tail section does it "give" like a spring? Just a possible explanation...

I was thinking the same thing when I first discovered the lack of head spring. There is no give whatsoever when I press the battery into the head. Stay away from this light. It is garbage. I had it one day and it is already broken. See video below I took for customer service as they are trying to argue with me that it's the battery... Tried a different battery and same results just to be safe and it will be apparent from the video that it is not the battery causing these major issues. The build quality is sub par at best with the tail being over tightened to the point of the o ring inside the tailcap assembly where the spring comes out is bulging out in the spring and I am unable to loosen the ring inside the tail cap as its on so tight.

Biggest disappointment I've had in a long time. I will never buy a light from Acebeam again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HMnryd0WDk

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What brand is the other battery? It does sound like a battery issue, but you may be right about having a defective light.
I was thinking the same thing when I first discovered the lack of head spring. There is no give whatsoever when I press the battery into the head. Stay away from this light. It is garbage. I had it one day and it is already broken. See video below I took for customer service as they are trying to argue with me that it's the battery... Tried a different battery and same results just to be safe and it will be apparent from the video that it is not the battery causing these major issues. The build quality is sub par at best with the tail being over tightened to the point of the o ring inside the tailcap assembly where the spring comes out is bulging out in the spring and I am unable to loosen the ring inside the tail cap as its on so tight.

Biggest disappointment I've had in a long time. I will never buy a light from Acebeam again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HMnryd0WDk

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
The other is a nitecore 18650 that was taped to insure proper fit. I use that battery in other lights with no issues. From the little I know of flashlights, I dont see how this could be a battery issue.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Lightmalls isn't someone I would buy from. Hopefully Acebeam will step up to the plate here. I commented awhile back on my Fenix PD35Tac & how much I liked it. Due to a language barrier Fenix thought I was having problems & offered to correct any (their concern for their reputation spoke volumes for me)....this is what I expect from a flashlight co. A malfunctioning light is one thing & can be fixed...lack of a headspring is more serious. Hopefully Acebeam can get its act together.

ckellyme3

Newly Enlightened
Lightmalls isn't someone I would buy from. Hopefully Acebeam will step up to the plate here. I commented awhile back on my Fenix PD35Tac & how much I liked it. Due to a language barrier Fenix thought I was having problems & offered to correct any (their concern for their reputation spoke volumes for me)....this is what I expect from a flashlight co. A malfunctioning light is one thing & can be fixed...lack of a headspring is more serious. Hopefully Acebeam can get its act together.

An Acebeam rep emailed me and basically threw it back on lightmalls. Lightmalls is playing games with me and not trying to refund me. This is beyond BS. $140 lesson learned.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like thermal regulation is gone.

Once upon a time I had an issue with a failed light. It was much easier to get help from the vendor, not the seller. But they asked me full information available on the seller and S/N of the flashlight.

texas cop

Enlightened
Lightmalls no longer list the Acebeam EC50. I understand long distance frustrations, PayPal is the only way I order from China. I myself wanted this light also for its size and output. I'll be ordering from Vinh his attention to detail and customer service is A+.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Its best to learn a bit about a company before purchasing their lights. I know Fenix's warranty is void if not purchased from an authorized dealer. I am not sure about Acebeam,this could be why they told you to deal with lightmall.