• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fenix Outfitters Odd "Accept Then Reject" Policy

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little over a week ago, Fenix Outfitters took my order by website, accepted my VISA credit card as payment, sat on my order for a week, then sent (via paypal, so the notice looked spammish, not from FO themselves) a notice they'd cancelled my VISA order and wanted paypal instead. When I checked my VISA statement online, no refund was visible.

I called Fenix Outfitters and got a churlish rep who argued that I'd placed a "high value order" (an HL35 for $45) and was a "first time customer," so therefore I was suspect, and they would not take my VISA to complete the order--even though they'd accepted it a week ago.

"Why did you accept my VISA in the original order, in that case?" I asked. They knew I was a first time customer at the time of the order, because they gave me a small "first timer" discount. "And why did you wait a week to inform me of this policy? And why isn't that policy stated on your website?"

The rep had no answer, just went into "salesman repeat mode" where he reiterated that I was a first time customer who had made a "high value order." Then he shifted into "shout the customer down" mode, and would speak over me, whenever I tried to speak. I offered to answer any security questions he had about my VISA, but he was not interested. He repeated several times that on subsequent orders I could use VISA.

"There will be no second order, nor first order," I informed him, and hung up. Now I am waiting for the VISA refund, but will call VISA and discuss this order with them.

FO can refuse credit card orders if they want to--it's their choice to limit their universe of customers however they want. But they should not accept VISA orders in the first place if that's their policy, and not cost the customer a week's waiting to figure it out.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed.

I wanted to give a smaller outfit a chance, rather than just default to Amazon.

Yes, I *COULD* have opened a paypal account to complete the transaction but...why? Why jump through those hoops for the eccentricity of one odd vendor?

My order went to Amazon for +$4. But at least they'll take my order and send it to me without playing games. I needed this light for a CERT exercise coming up this weekend, and now I'll do without. I was also looking to supply my crew of a dozen employees with this light (if I liked it), but now that business goes elsewhere.

I'm sorry if Fenix Outfitters had someone buy from them using a fake VISA card, but that's no reason to punish all people who pay by VISA on a first order, and it's no excuse to continue to accept VISA on the website, when FO has no intention of fulfilling those orders.

Honestly, if the rep had said, "Could you do me a huge favor and repay through PayPal?" the request would have at least been sympathetic, but he was in the typical salesman mode of "The Customer Is Wrong" and very combative. These salespeople think they're the police, and can force people to obey. News flash: It's easy to take your business elsewhere.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see you posted your experience in a polite post. I had a poor experience on my first purchase with Fenix Outfitters and haven't been back since. I had a DOA and visibly beat up $200 + dollar light arrive from them. When I called them the woman I was talking with was condescending. The conversation turned into a "you sold me a bad light" and "what did you do to break the light". They refunded my money. The experience took all the fun out of my purchase. I bought another light from Battery Junction. They are excellent to deal with for any concern.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is strange. I have used them several times, everything went smooth. However, I used PP. I use PP everywhere, including walk in stores that takes it.
From Credit Card experiences, it seems you don't usually get hassled if the purchase is under $50. Some places don't care if they have a signature under $50. I think CVS or Walgreens is that way. For those who may not know, they are "Drug Stores".

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a DOA and visibly beat up $200 + dollar light arrive from them.

Oh, ouch, that's the worst. Ow!!

I've never been clear, under what conditions a seller can just box up a return (possibly even a dead return) and sell it again. I know it happens at Home Depot all the time, and you have to pick through their stock to find unopened / unused / unreturned stuff. Maybe more of retail is like this, than I'm aware. :ohgeez:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, ouch, that's the worst. Ow!!

I've never been clear, under what conditions a seller can just box up a return (possibly even a dead return) and sell it again. I know it happens at Home Depot all the time, and you have to pick through their stock to find unopened / unused / unreturned stuff. Maybe more of retail is like this, than I'm aware. :ohgeez:

The light I received from Fenix Outfitters appeared to be new but there were 3 areas where the anodized finish had been repaired. I figured I would just ding the light anyway and why care. Then I put the batteries in and turned it on. Low - medium- then flash. The light was dead. It was a TK70. I called Fenix Outfitters and spoke to a man. A few questions later he said send the light back. He was soft spoken and very nice. After I hung up I realized I forgot to get an RMA number. When I called back I got the woman described in my previous post. I too needed the light for a canoe trip I was going on that weekend. I wanted another light and was willing to pay for a second light until the first one could arrive at their store for their inspection. Then I could be credited. I decided to just return the light to them and order another from Battery Junction.
This story was a few years ago and maybe the people I spoke to are no longer there. I just decided to stick with BJ and GG. Ive had warranty issues with both of them and they have always been easy to deal with. Especially BJ.

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
I just got 2 flashlights from them. A "Refurbished" PD40 and a "returned" PD35 Tac. I'm so glad I didn't see the OP's post or this thread cause I had a great transaction. Lights were perfect. Packaged well and looked brand new. They discounted them heavily and I was overall quite impressed with the company and would not hesitate to use them again (based on my order).