Powder coated custom colour mini pry bar

James3

Enlightened
I've been going a bit mad powder coating everything I can find!
I coated an EDC bottle opener tool prybar thing and it came out pretty good
I had a thought to do some mini pry bars (3 inch / 7.5cm)
They are stainless steel, and can be coated in any colour
Colours I'm thinking:

Gloss:
Lime green
Hot pink
Orange
White
matte black
Mid-blue
Yellow

Matte:
Matte black
Matte olive

Candy:
Cobolt candy

Other:
Copper shimmer

I can also do candy colours (costs more) but would look cool

Possible Prices:
£20 shipped in the UK and £25 international (for gloss & matte)
£28 shipped in the UK and £33 international (for candy & other)

Shipping discounts for more than 1

image_zpss6bws5og.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpsk0vbihpr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

anyone?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks cool. I'd be interested in one. Anywhere we can see the colors on items?

James3

Enlightened
Some of the ones so far, bottom right is candy purple, there is other candy's, textured finishes, etc. etc.

Candy is the most expensive due to the process of the chroming and candy coat

IMG_3317_zpsjybegok2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nbp

Flashaholic
Nice, I like it. I know we aren't making art here, but how durable is powder coat compared to other common finishes such as Cerakote or Type III anodizing for example?

James3

Enlightened
If you search "Paint vs anodizing vs powdercoat - in a sandblast cabinet" on YouTube you'll see the results

Powdercoat is really durable, more so than anodising

it's used on things like alloy wheels and industrial tools

nbp

Flashaholic
If the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in a lime green one, maybe more for gifts. If you decide to start offering these, probably would be good to post the details of the sale in a more appropriate sales area, but we can certainly discuss ideas for coating tools and gizmos here. :)

James3

Enlightened
The price massively depends on the amount per colour Ie. If 10 people order lime green it will be cheaper than doing 10 separate colours (due to the princess of switching out the powders etc.)
I could just stick to one colour for a set price, then increased price for different colours?

if anyone can let me know the price they are happy with I can try and steer in that direction

and also if people would like the 'prying area' covered or left bare?

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah you're probably better offering fewer colors at least to start with. I don't know the price of the bars or the powder but for me personally I'm thinking maybe $25? It seems practical to leave the prying area bare but it would look cooler to do the whole thing and save you the work of taping them off. If the coating is very durable it may be just fine to coat the whole thing. Have you sprayed any of these pry bars as a kind of "first article"?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool rigs. Bare pry area, no clue on price. I guess I am most curious to see finished pieces. I have a weak imagination. ha

James3

Enlightened
Yeah you're probably better offering fewer colors at least to start with. I don't know the price of the bars or the powder but for me personally I'm thinking maybe $25? It seems practical to leave the prying area bare but it would look cooler to do the whole thing and save you the work of taping them off. If the coating is very durable it may be just fine to coat the whole thing. Have you sprayed any of these pry bars as a kind of "first article"?

ill see what i can do, I've tested on a similar item, but not on the bar above yet, which should be here in a couple of days, I'll post pics When I've done a sample

James3

Enlightened
First 'prototype' done, Lime green, with bare ends, (looks white in the photo, but its polished SS) I think it will look better fully coated in my opinion.

IMG_3337_zpsdmabflgo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey that's not bad! I like the lime green! I agree full coat probably would look better though.

James3

Enlightened
Yes I think I'll strip it off tomorrow (with some methylene chloride, nasty stuff!) and try a full coat, these are hardly going to be used for heavy duty tasks just being small, so the full coat shouldn't make a difference functionally, but will make it look better cosmetically

was also thinking about a 2 tone fade..? Could look pretty good

the other colours I did today are in my other thread (some pocket clips)

James3

Enlightened
I'm forming a bad idea...

How possible do you think it would be to do a Halliburton briefcase? Example: http://cdn.instructables.com/FM9/B9X6/F6B7SSI6/FM9B9X6F6B7SSI6.LARGE.jpg

Depnds on on the size!

its possible to powdercoat pretty much any size, but curing is the problem, ie. I have a curing oven that is about 2ftx1ft, great for small parts, not so much for larger things, but a large curing oven is £3000+!

Larger things can also be cured using heat lamps in a box, but i don't know how good the finish would come out as I've not done that yet

nbp

Flashaholic
Agreed, much better fully coated. Are you making these available in a sales thread somewhere or not yet?