Melbourne CPF 2016 winter/spring meet.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys;

As mentioned before in the last meet and recent thread, we better get things rolling before people lose interest and wander off... No dates as yet and the location hasn't been determined. Always open for discussion.

Its always a logistical challenge to organise a meet where its easy for for everyone due to the location of those attending, some have to drive for hours and look for overnight accommodation just to attend. Some are shift workers and may have to work a shift that night or organise for a replacement. Not easy I know. Sometimes the weather also doesn't want to cooperate...

The purpose of this thread is to hold a discussion as to the next location for the meet in 3/4 months time. Please post your suggestions along with some info and pics if possible.

To get the ball rolling, I was looking at this place called Crystal Brook Picnic area in Cardinia Reservoir.

The thing that excites me most about this place is the ability to have a campfire/BBQ and the ability to see wild kangaroos hop around during the meet and the vast open spaces... check it out!

20160411_143920_zps4sqra9pm.jpg

20160411_143916_zpsqagdvdzs.jpg

20160411_143253_zpsqmhif9qw.jpg

20160411_141042_zps5dfazdws.jpg

20160411_141018_zps2nwxg06o.jpg

20160411_141025_zpsuq2wlqll.jpg

20140531_181814_zps8z2wsvuz.jpg

20140531_181754_zps6jgpvh6t.jpg

17580013_zpsb98cf7ab.jpg

17570010_zps81ea334c.jpg

Last edited:

Trevtrain

Enlightened
I think this is where we were the last time I made a meeting. We did a late-night walk along the wall trying to see who could reach across the lake to the other side.
This is a nice area and wood is provided for the BBQ/Fire pits.

But Shepp could also work for me. I have family up that way.

Making sure I've subscribed this time. Missed the last one through inattention.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before our next meet, I am looking forward to a casual 1-2 hr night bush walk at a place like Steavenson Falls, King Lake National Park or similar. Its more of an impromptu kinda thing, planned a few days before hand. Anyone care to join me?

bdogps

Enlightened
Before our next meet, I am looking forward to a casual 1-2 hr night bush walk at a place like Steavenson Falls, King Lake National Park or similar. Its more of an impromptu kinda thing, planned a few days before hand. Anyone care to join me?

If I can get the day off, I am in. Word of warning though, I am not the fastest walker.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a slow walker too, I remember you live around Ringwood right? We could go somewhere near that area if you know of any good walking tracks. Dandenong Ranges near Montrose should have some good tracks. Sherbrooke Forest near Poets Lane Reception has some pretty good walking tracks.

Last edited:

bdogps

Enlightened
I am a slow walker too, I remember you live around Ringwood right? We could go somewhere near that area if you know of any good walking tracks. Dandenong Ranges near Montrose should have some good tracks. Sherbrooke Forest near Poets Lane Reception has some pretty good walking tracks.

Hey Mate,

I am not too familiar with walking trails in my area, but if you have one in mind, let me know, we can arrange a time to walk it.

Lambo3534

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I'm a newby and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the state I'll just keep an eye on this post.
Any rules or suggestions for this newby? Also will there be sellers attending? It would be a great opportunity to check out their wares.
Cheers

bdogps

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I'm a newby and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the state I'll just keep an eye on this post.
Any rules or suggestions for this newby? Also will there be sellers attending? It would be a great opportunity to check out their wares.
Cheers

If it's in regards to buying torches, you can buy whichever you want and what fits your budget. If your question is based on the meet up, just respect everyone really. This was my first time this year and it was fun. We each brought our own collection of torches. I had the smallest collection of everyone and that's okay. We mostly ended up talking about torches and past CPF meet ups. I am not too sure about anyone selling anything, unless it's discussed here.

It's more of a recommendation than a rule really, but if you are just starting out, buy protected cells from a reputable brand.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each week is different for me but I'd be interested depending on when exactly you decided on.

Its probably going to be decided a week before, so keep checking this thread every week, usually by wed so we have abetter idea what the weather will be like on a sat night.

Hey Mate,

I am not too familiar with walking trails in my area, but if you have one in mind, let me know, we can arrange a time to walk it.

I am going to have to take a look at the trail at Sherbrooke in the Dandenong Ranges.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/dandenong-ranges-national-park/things-to-do/sherbrooke-sherbrooke-picnic-ground

<a href="http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/dandenong-ranges-national-park/things-to-do/sherbrooke-sherbrooke-picnic-ground" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Hi Guys,
Cheers

Welcome to CPF! Getting lights is quite personal preference kinda thing, go with what suits your taste and usage needs. The VIC CPF meet is a great way to have a look and play around with lights to see what you like/dislike. Just like what bdogps said, its all about mutual respect for others at the meet and sampling other people's collection of lights, our VIC meets are conducted with lots of fun, hardly any "mine's better than yours" kind of attitudes.

I know old4570 has quite a bit of lights and stuff to sell, you can PM him and ask what he has for sale, he has over 100 lights and counting!

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
Hi Lambo3534,
Our last meet was a ripper. Normally, as FusionM8 says, old 4570 brings a heap of stuff to look at / buy. The meet gives everyone a chance to put a face to the user names, and try different lights. I dont know if there has ever been a dealer, as such, at a meet ( Gav? ). I think the idea of a walk prior to the torches, was touted for the next meet also. Just something to do, if you feel so inclined.