Surefire tail cap disassembly Z41 switch mod.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! But we have to give credit to @Tana for coming up with the original idea. He is the man behind the original mod & graciously allowed me to build/sell them.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow and Double Wow!!

That looks like my stuff that VOB just installed for me. I bought the switches from DellSuperman (last switch on batch 3 and first switch on batch 4) or 3 and have been very graciously treated by VOB re multiple drop-ins and mods over the past year. Intriguing to see how VOB did it.

I'm happy to see VOB's rousing endorsement of the DellSuperman/Tana switches. I bought them to use with both an XHP50 and an XHP70 drop-in that VOB made for me. I also expect to try the natural tailcap along with a non-current limited SF KL3 head that VOB modded for me with an XHP50 that will go on my C3 body that Precisionworks just bored for me. (Normally I expect to use the Natural RPM tailcap with McClickie I've earmarked and saved for the C3 with KL3.)

I'm delighted to have these talented modders accessible through CPF!

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the actual tailcap disassembly operation is NOT as easy as described in the video.
I've done this for some years, and every instance of tailcap disassembly is different and has had its own challenges.

Taking out the stock core is already a pain. Sometimes it's as easy as 123, other times you'll have to resort to the "punch through the boot side" option, but only after successful removal of the rubber boot (again very difficult, so proper lubrication required).
Then there's the stuck Delrin retainer ring inside. Be very careful not to mar it, because it's just too easy to. If heating alone doesn't help, then freeze it afterwards for 30 minutes and the threadlocking should be defeated with ease.

BTW this is the first time I see a custom Judco clicky installed on the McClicky retainer ring (albeit in the reverse direction). Is this clicky a reverse type?