Review: Spyderco Endura 4 Flat Ground Folding Pocket Knife (FRN, VG-10)

mhanlen

Enlightened
Spyderco Endura 4 Review

Ok so this has been years in the making. My favorite knife ever is my Spyderco Endura 4 Flat ground. It's a perfect larger EDC knife that's fairly light and thin which fits well in my pants pocket. I've never had any problems with either one of the 2 Enduras I've owned, and neither have blade play or blade retention issues after years of use. I take this with me literally everywhere. Anyway, the review is short so check it out... and beware of some NSFW language.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Spyderco knives despite having an issue with my first one and then being disappointed with their customer service. Regardless I like their products, designs, and the variety of steels/materials they offer. I'm a fan of the flat profile and easy deployment with the big thumb hole.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Which knife did you have a problem with? I do like them... I prefer this over the much more expensive lil lionspy I own.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the model, it was an all stainless steel blade/handle with a lockback and 3 inch blade, brought it a very long time ago (maybe 30 years ago). The lockback went after a few years of use, slight pressure on an open blade would close it, like a slip joint. Returned it and they told me it was 'unrepairable' and caused by 'misuse/abuse' which did not sit well will me because I didn't flick it much. They did offer me a replacement at cost but still thought they should have just replaced the knife flat out.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Back in the early 90's I had an Endura with integral pocket clip that within a few weeks failed to say locked open. Called them, sent it back, and received a new one free, which I still own. My only Endura.

Bill

mhanlen

Enlightened
I don't know the model, it was an all stainless steel blade/handle with a lockback and 3 inch blade, brought it a very long time ago (maybe 30 years ago). The lockback went after a few years of use, slight pressure on an open blade would close it, like a slip joint. Returned it and they told me it was 'unrepairable' and caused by 'misuse/abuse' which did not sit well will me because I didn't flick it much. They did offer me a replacement at cost but still thought they should have just replaced the knife flat out.

That's not cool, maybe their customer service (and workmanship) has gotten better.

Back in the early 90's I had an Endura with integral pocket clip that within a few weeks failed to say locked open. Called them, sent it back, and received a new one free, which I still own. My only Endura.

Bill

Hopefully I have this or these as long. My wife bought the second one for my birthday after I thought I had lost my first one.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Thanks for the review mhanlen. I'll add this to my list of purchases that I shouldn't make but probably will at some point! [emoji106]

Oh I've gotta big running list of that. I'll buy that... Then I tell myself- hey it's for YouTube!

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
Love the reviews. But I have to ask, since you show all the stuff you carry every day including keys and wallet, do you not carry a cell phone?

mhanlen

Enlightened
Love the reviews. But I have to ask, since you show all the stuff you carry every day including keys and wallet, do you not carry a cell phone?

Yes I do. It's an iPhone 5s, but I didn't think anyone cares about it. So I didn't put it in the shot. I don't upgrade my phone as often as most people do

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
Yes I do. It's an iPhone 5s, but I didn't think anyone cares about it. So I didn't put it in the shot. I don't upgrade my phone as often as most people do

Haha, ok. Thought maybe you were just really hardcore. Maybe you could get into cell phone reviews - that would be entertaining :laughing:

mhanlen

Enlightened
Haha, ok. Thought maybe you were just really hardcore. Maybe you could get into cell phone reviews - that would be entertaining :laughing:

Oh God. A cell phone review would take me months to complete. In this modern age, maybe all you need to be hardcore is a 2 generation old smartphone. 16gb bro??? That's roughing it!