Spy got wet

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
So I dropped my Spy out of my kayak earlier. I grabbed it out of the water and shook it off. It operated fine. Now hours later I go to use it and it won't function much at all. I open it up and it has a bunch of moisture/water inside. I just shook and blew as much of the water out of it as I could and now letting it dry out tonight...hope it works tomorrow, I don't want to lose my favorite light

It didn't even cross my mind to open it up and check. I totally assumed the light would be sealed up enough to take a quick dunk.

Anyone else had water get in the light?

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
Got it dried out and working.

Still a bit confused by the amount of water inside it from a less than 2' dunk and less than 15 seconds under water

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank goodness it was shallow water! I dropped a few things in the bay on a kayak trip in Maine....just watched them sink. :sick2:

Tether that SPY!!

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
Leave it open and in a warm place for a couple days in case there is still some moisture in it. :poke:

I got it dried out and tested it late last night. Works fine but moisture still behind the lens.

Is there any upgrade o-rings I can add to the battery cap to help seal it up?

I hate to leave it home because it is my favorite light

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
Thank goodness it was shallow water! I dropped a few things in the bay on a kayak trip in Maine....just watched them sink. :sick2:

Tether that SPY!!

I have a retractable tether attachment on my kayak so I won't have total loss

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it dried out and tested it late last night. Works fine but moisture still behind the lens.

Is there any upgrade o-rings I can add to the battery cap to help seal it up?

I hate to leave it home because it is my favorite light

Leave it home!!! :scowl:

Please take the batteries out and leave it open in a warm place till all the moisture is gone. At least for two days. A warm place would be under a light that heats the SPY up to 100-120 degrees.

To keep it water resistant you have to keep nyogel on the o-ring. The o-ring has to be in good condition too. If it ever starts to show dry rot replace it.

Cheers
Dave

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Put it in the sealed box of rice for a day or so. It should take out all the moisture out of it.

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
Leave it home!!! :scowl:

I just mean for future kayak and water borne trips, not leave it home always.

It is drying at home and I will get a hair dryer in it again tonight when I get home to warm it up and further dry it out.

I will lube and really check the o-rings

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
BTW, What did you say when you dropped it?

~ C.G.[/QUOTE]

I think I said "Fxxx" right before the kayak rolled over. The "K" came out under water

Then I said xxxxxx as I rose out of the water and grabbed the light, my iPhone, and Strider knife out of the water

EDIT - sorry admin...I didn't know profanity was not allowed

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should bring a little zip lock bag to put your Spy in before getting on the Kayak.
I was in Disney last summer and everyone was doing this for their cell phones before getting
onto water rides.

Just a thought :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the boat or heavy rain conditions I use some small Ill Gear waterproof Dry Bags. They are cheap $3, and much better than say a zip lock. Fill with air and they could float. check eBay.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
NyoGel 760G Synthetic Flashlight Silicone Lubricant grease 1oz Jar

this can be found in lots of places online

recDNA

Flashaholic
You should bring a little zip lock bag to put your Spy in before getting on the Kayak.
I was in Disney last summer and everyone was doing this for their cell phones before getting
onto water rides.

Just a thought :)
If you forget to bring one a lot of places have plastic dog poo bag dispensers around. Has saved my cell phone a couple of times at the beach when rain storms pop up.