The End of the Golden Age?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am not alone in feeling deep sadness over no longer having access to the collars anymore. They were an absolute revelation in the throw light world. As you all know I have focused almost exclusively on throw lights for 10 years. And while it has always been my first love to reach out and touch someone a mile away with a directed energy beam:D it is not my only love. I am taking this opportunity to bring meaning to the name OMG Lumens!

I have found designing flashlights to be immensely pleasurable. The knowledge gained researching materials and techniques. The blending and application of my artistic and engineering sides. It has been satisfying to know that I made the best of something in the world but more so knowing how much joy these lights have brought people over the years. Indeed one of my lights actually helped save a drowning man's life!

Looking back on 10 years of making lights I am struck by how fast the industry has moved. It truly is amazing and I have wondered for a while how long this "golden age" in flashlights will last. One of the biggest reasons for the amazing speed of development in our world has been due to us enthusiasts. We have driven the rest of the industry. They have followed our lead in countless ways.

Where will we be in ten years time? Will there be any reason for a flashlight junkie to get out of bed? I'll admit that even though I have a distinctly more intimate view of the future flashlight world than most, my view 10 years out is murky. I know there will always be those wanting to push the boundaries no matter how crazy a level we get to. I know that in the near future the boundaries are going to receive a walloping punch. I'm feeling a bit fisticuffs. The Golden Age is not done yet. ;)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights somehow happened to be on the same step with computers. They are merging as far as I see. Next step is laser, not LED emitters (look at BMW). I am not an expert, but I guess we are not even close to the end :)

But yes, this area is extremely competitive (like computers) -- a little delay and you feel years behind the leaders. That might discourage.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, I don't own any of your lights, but I wish you well as you pursue the "Lumens" side a bit more ( if I am reading your post correctly ).

Your work is greatly respected here, and I look forward to seeing you continue to be a flashlight pioneer. [emoji106] :)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights somehow happened to be on the same step with computers. They are merging as far as I see.

What is most definitely not on the same level as computers are batteries. When it comes to making leaps & bounds batteries are complete garbage!! The weak link of technology! If batteries improved (and prices came down) at the same rate that computers have over the past 50 years it would be a different world that we live in.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights somehow happened to be on the same step with computers. They are merging as far as I see. Next step is laser, not LED emitters (look at BMW). I am not an expert, but I guess we are not even close to the end :)

But yes, this area is extremely competitive (like computers) -- a little delay and you feel years behind the leaders. That might discourage.
How right you are. I developed a system quite some time ago but regulatory concerns have kept me from bringing it to market. It's a matter of time before someone does though.

Michael, I don't own any of your lights, but I wish you well as you pursue the "Lumens" side a bit more ( if I am reading your post correctly ).

Your work is greatly respected here, and I look forward to seeing you continue to be a flashlight pioneer. [emoji106] :)
You are reading correctly ;) And thanks :)

Michael, make me an IR light I can use for rifle hunting with NV!
I'm sorry bud. I would love to but it's not in the cards right now. For multiple reasons. I really really want to get the development work done on the new light for one. Also I don't feel right releasing anything unless I can significantly beat what is currently on the market. To do so to my satisfaction would take a lot of time.

What is most definitely not on the same level as computers are batteries. When it comes to making leaps & bounds batteries are complete garbage!! The weak link of technology! If batteries improved (and prices came down) at the same rate that computers have over the past 50 years it would be a different world that we live in.
In comparison to the rate of progress of computers I suppose "garbage" is halfway appropriate. But 5-7% annual increase is not too shabby. I follow batteries not only on the flashlight side but I'm also into electric cars and the progress I'm seeing is encouraging.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In comparison to the rate of progress of computers I suppose "garbage" is halfway appropriate. But 5-7% annual increase is not too shabby. I follow batteries not only on the flashlight side but I'm also into electric cars and the progress I'm seeing is encouraging.

Price comes into play a lot. Those LiFePO4 batteries look incredible, however you almost fall over when you see the price for a LiFePO4 battery bank for home solar power! It's the price of a new car! AND the lifespan is 7 years, that's the real killer, to spend that kind of money every 7 years isn't feasible for many. Contrast that with the price of TVs! They fell so much.

What is your take on Nickel Iron batteries? I actually just found out about these, 25 yr lifespan!! As incredible as that is though it sadly gets back to how much batteries pale in comparison to computer advances...these batteries are HEAVY!!! And they might even be MORE expensive than LiFePO4s. And they have another disadvantage they have a fast discharge rate when left idle. Now if batteries were like computers, by 2016 you'd be looking at 10 lbs of batteries that cost $500 that could power your whole house with solar.

At the very least it would be great if you could combine the lifespan of Nickel Iron batteries with the weight, and slow idle discharge rate of LiFePo4s. Bottom line is that because of batteries solar power is not economical. Batteries are definitely the most expensive part of solar power.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really sad to hear about the unavailability of these "collars" and the end of production of the Deft-X and Rev Victor. I've only recently discovered that I am ALL ABOUT THROW. I guess I found out about 7-8 months too late. :mecry:

That said, if any owners of a REV Victor Enthusiast are interested in selling please feel free to send me a PM.

Sorry if TTTing this thread caused anyone to shed any needless tears.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the Earth's population grows (7.4 billion) low consumption electrical energy for light and other needs will be needed in the wake of 'Peak Oil' and pollution from all other fossil fuels being currently used.

Solar energy production in combination with battery technology will be a growing industry. The coming of quantum electrodynamics will change most everything.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solar energy production is so ineffective that it will stay experimental for some 50 years at least.
With peak oil and the use of fossil fuels to produce today's energy needs creating serious environmental problems, capital or investment income will be moving away from the 19th century technologies. The fossil fuel and coal industries will in the future not have the influence and political capital that they do today.

Coal which was first discovered in China in 3490 BCE took a very long time to be developed and used.

Last edited:

vinceca2000

Newly Enlightened
Really sad to hear about the unavailability of these "collars" and the end of production of the Deft-X and Rev Victor. I've only recently discovered that I am ALL ABOUT THROW. I guess I found out about 7-8 months too late. :mecry:

That said, if any owners of a REV Victor Enthusiast are interested in selling please feel free to send me a PM.

Sorry if TTTing this thread caused anyone to shed any needless tears.

I have the orifinal deft x if you are interested.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solar energy production is so ineffective that it will stay experimental for some 50 years at least.

Recently solar hit a huge milestone by reaching price parity with coal. This is for an installed commercial utility system. I think you will find the transition to solar will happen faster than you ever imagined.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently solar hit a huge milestone by reaching price parity with coal. This is for an installed commercial utility system. I think you will find the transition to solar will happen faster than you ever imagined.
I agree!

Solar energy will be a better option than a 'cold turkey' withdrawal from all fossil fuels.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates to the collars?
No update. Sorry. Losing the ability to use this technology is really depressing for us throw junkies I know. I may revisit trying to reacquire rights in the future but it is not in the immediate future unless the company who owns it reaches out to me. I am continuing development of a monster light. Hopefully I can solve all the technical hurdles in a few months time but development has never been expeditious for me. ;)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights somehow happened to be on the same step with computers. They are merging as far as I see.

Since the advent of powerLED emitters and multimode drivers, I see no difference. Modern flashlights are technically embedded computers.

Michael, make me an IR light I can use for rifle hunting with NV!

I just learned something pretty cool earlier tonight watching a recent NOVA episode about metals. The episode describes the James Webb Space Telescope which uses a gold collimator instead of silver, because it is an IR telescope. Gold is a near perfect reflector for IR light. You will get considerable more performance out of an IR flashlight if it uses a gold or gilded reflector, as opposed to silvered aluminum reflector (ahem, Surefire Vampire designer this is also directed at you).

False. Solar, even in its limited recent development, has already outpaced nuclear in $/Wh, but only when we don't hide the true cost of nuclear, which necessarily must include the massive development cost, massive government subsidies to power companies without which no nuclear plant could have been constructed, and the long-term storage and security of nuclear waste. Solar is not perfect, but had humanity poured the same resources into developing Solar since the 1940's as has been poured into nuclear, it would likely be ridiculously effective by today. Unfortunately, we needed fuel for bombs, which is the only reason nuclear power was initially developed. Also, unfortunately, the government vastly overestimated its need for fuel for bombs. Solar can't really make us fuel for bombs.

Any updates to the collars?

True reason for my post.... excuse my ignorance... what is this? Is there a picture or description of what a collar is and what it does? Thanks.

Last edited:

magnum70383

Enlightened
I monster light without the use of the collar... hmm I wonder what it'll be! ;)

No update. Sorry. Losing the ability to use this technology is really depressing for us throw junkies I know. I may revisit trying to reacquire rights in the future but it is not in the immediate future unless the company who owns it reaches out to me. I am continuing development of a monster light. Hopefully I can solve all the technical hurdles in a few months time but development has never been expeditious for me. ;)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
True reason for my post.... excuse my ignorance... what is this? Is there a picture or description of what a collar is and what it does? Thanks.

It is a reflector that is hemispherical. It collects the light that would be lost to the sides in an aspheric flashlight and reflects it back to the LED making it brighter than it would otherwise be.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not fully understanding the uses of the collar (outside of flashlights), what would be an industry application where a collar would be used?