Anyone collect Pentagon lights?

DETROIT.357

Newly Enlightened
Just seeing if anyone collects pentagon lights. I have three of them, one is a daily used L2 and I have two new in box X3's. I am really not sure if there are any value to them, but they make me happy for some reason. I was thinking of modding one of my x3's. Im still undecided.

Please add or share on modding or...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site! Very cool first post.

I found a couple of nip 1aa 'molly' lights by them.

Nifty little 4" tall right angle light with a red filter and a (sucky working) compass on the tail cap.

I like the dang near silent clicky switch (w/momentary) at the top.

At 40 lumens it's not a bad guy blinder by any means. Folks here have turned them into much brighter little lights.

If I recall correct you can "malkoff" that L2 with a Malkoff Devices M61 module and some work on the spring.

Search "Pentagon" lights for some blast from the past modifications of them.

They got beat in court by SureFire some years back and agreed to quietly go away.
But on Australian eBay there are a slew of Pentagon G2 lights for sale. Direct copies of the SureFire G2. Twisty tailcap and all.

They were well made flashlights.

The 'molly'.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the Pentagon lights I've seen are weapons lights not hand held.
From what I saw of the quality, they were close to Surefire.
Sucks when the courts rule you infringed on someone else's patient.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not trying to get a debate started....

IMG_20160423_102740_zpspr7zo3aa.jpg

IMG_20160423_102657_zps5y1bvt2x.jpg

But it's kinda obvious why the judge agreed.

Pentagon and Brinkmann made some real nice flashlights.
But both companies were run by folks who shoulda (and probably did) known better.

At one point Streamlight, Eveready, and Rayovac were doing the copy cat thing too. But Pentagon was like a lot of small companies over the years that created look alike items only to be run out of business.

If Pentagon had just done like Pelican we'd still be talking about them in a present tense. Pelican out 6P'd the 6P beam wise. But did it in a new way and to this day they still make that light, which is still fairly popular with incan purist types.
Why build a plunger like SureFire when using Conrad Huberts (eveready fame) long since passed patent of placing a small ring of direct contact area that with a half twist (not 2 or 3 like SureFire) locks out the cap?

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I used to build LED conversions for several of the Pentagon Light series. They are pretty decent flashlights. Way ahead of their time when they designed the MS2 tailcap. Well engineered. You can make a LED conversion for your X3 fairly easily. A 35mm reflector is available from DealExtreme that can work with a little filing. The X3 needs a 31mm dia reflector. Not a 35mm. The pill can be built around the AX2002 driving an XML LED at about 1.5 amps. Much brighter than the sucky stock incandescent. Here's a link to other mod's. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?305484-Build-Log-PentagonLight-X3

DETROIT.357

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome guys, and for the info on modding my L2 and one of my X3's

bykfixer

Flashaholic
These are not from the American Pentagon firm. These are chinese Suferire knockoffs sold by the Greek firm Pentagon that makes military gear mainly.

http://pentagon.com.gr/pentagon/

Which is another company called Pentagon who makes direct rip offs as opposed to a former company named Pentagon who was shut down for copy-cats?
Imagine the confusion on my part...

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good-ole Pentagon was closed down being unable to counter (finacially) a Surefire lawsuit on the momentary swith design. (and yuo may read this any way you like)
They made some SERIOUS flashlights, and some consider them batter made than the SFs....
And they were pioneers in inductive charging

Edit: not much remains on the web anymore, especially pictures.
But yuo can check them out in this page
http://www.knifeworks.com/browsepro...att-LED-Flashlight--Hard-Anodized-Finish.html

edit2: here is their 2008 catalog
http://www.maegroupint.com/catalogs/managed/PentagonLight 2008 Catalog.pdf

detroit.357, nice move starting this thread!

Last edited:

DETROIT.357

Newly Enlightened
I took some advise and I bought a Malkoff M61 for me L2. Its a nice upgrade for CQCB but I lost allot of throw. So now i need to modify one of my X3's.... and the addiction begins!

When i first bought my L2, i picked it over a SF. The build and detail of pentagon just seemed better, I truly felt pentagon was gong to be a top contender in this market.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I have the S2 19-LED, its a light with 19 separate LED's in the head. It came with a non-clicky tail cap and another that slid into a belt swivel. This clip allowed the light to hand and swivel of my belt. I still use the light today, has tons of short-range intensity. It also came with a round tin that contained maintenance parts - spare glass lens, o-rings, and a small tub of silicone grease, alcohol swabs and some Velcro. I can't post pics but will as soon as they let me.

hakuin

Newly Enlightened
I have had a X2 Xenon for years (got it when they were clearance priced from my fav store). Is there an upgrade for this model? Being a noob, IDK if there is a direct equivalent or not.

IMG_0547_zpscwrrhksj.jpg

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is mine. It is an L2 with a 85 lumen Luxeon 3 watt. I bought it when it first came out years and years ago when they were still in business. It is in near mint condition and still works great. Too bad they went out of business, they were great quality lights.

YxMTH8w.jpg

7izG9bE.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just scored a "field kit".

$10.... so I bought a slew.
To go with a couple of dynamite second hand ones from a 'lightknot' fs thread.

The X1 came with a Malkoff M31 that was the spring from the stock assembly sandwiched between the M31 and body. The M31 is not quite the same OD as the ID of the bezel, but careful reassembly results in a centered reflector without any o-rings or other modifications.

The X3 is stock.

Coming soon a K2 with its retractable bezel and belt clip.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Scored some factory sealed X3's.

Just had to open one.

Peanuts! Woohoo!!

Awe, yeah.
It went back in the box to be used as spare parts if ever needed. The other 3 will remain factory sealed.

Got some new lamps too.

Anxiously await the K2's arrival.
And more lamps. These are for the K2's that are enroute.

Saw an NIP MD2 dual light but decided against it. A small LED lamp fastened to the 2 cell incan with a pressure switch attached to the incan light.
There was also one (I forget the model) that had a hi/lo pressure switch attached.
I'm going for hand held versions only.

It's a shame SureFire and Pentagon couldn't work together for the sake of the troops because Pentagon had some great soldier lights. So did SureFire, but combined there's no telling how much AWESOME would have resulted.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The K2 Porcupine:

Factory sealed

Unwrapped

Came with batteries.
I put them in the battery collection and slid in some new cells.

Wow Wow Wow that's sharp.

Tailstander
These crenalations are more blunt (thank goodness) but will still sample DNA if need be.

A couple of clockwise twists and it is TSA approved...
Maybe.

Without the collar.

The FL2 now has an incan playmate.

Obligitory wall pic.
The crenalations don't show in real world scenarios.

Not bad for a measely 70 lumens.

The tail switch is easy to operate and with typical Pentagon style pretty dawg gone quiet. It can be felt easier than heard.

The body has a super coating with a dull-dull-dull finish. A true tactical light with the battle field in mind, even if hand to hand is required. Easy to grip but easy to deploy.
Nice n light for saving grams during long hikes.
Burley like a 6P, lightweight like a TL2 shockproof.
This was one serious weapon light.

A little work with a dremel
The opening of the K2 is a bit narrower than a P60 module. Perhaps 30 minutes with a dremel could update this to a Malkoff'd Pentagon.

Last edited: