Battery Holders

Eidolon

Newly Enlightened
Looking for those plastic cases that I see people posting for holding CR123s and AA size batteries but I can't Google up similar products. Can anyone direct me to a few options? I have also been drooling over various CPFers Pelican setups for storage - you guys continue to cost me a lot of money. Do people EDC any spare batteries? How many?

I've considered doing some battery storage in the car but I have concerns about heat during 100 degree days amplified by being inside the car as well.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the type you're looking for?

Also welcome to CPF!
Those are called StoreACell, and work quite well for AAA, AA, C, and D cells. I have seen comments where they were not recommended for protected Li-Ion cells as the protection circuits added to the diameter of the cell enough to make a very tight fit. Enough so that the wrappers sometimes tore, exposing the bare cell casing. I have used them for 14500 IMR cells without that occurring, but then again, IMR cells aren't protected.
Amazon, Ebay, Banggood, Gearbest, all sell the semi-transparent polyethylene cases that snap open and closed, usually in two or four cell versions. They look a lot like the travel cases one can buy to pack a bar of soap, and usually sell for a couple of dollars.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Eidolon said:
Looking for those plastic cases that I see people posting for holding CR123s . . .
For CR123 Batteries I'm using these:

F3XdNLTl.jpg
9EFw7jSl.jpg

Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Those are called StoreACell, and work quite well for AAA, AA, C, and D cells. I have seen comments where they were not recommended for protected Li-Ion cells as the protection circuits added to the diameter of the cell enough to make a very tight fit. Enough so that the wrappers sometimes tore, exposing the bare cell casing. I have used them for 14500 IMR cells without that occurring, but then again, IMR cells aren't protected.
Amazon, Ebay, Banggood, Gearbest, all sell the semi-transparent polyethylene cases that snap open and closed, usually in two or four cell versions. They look a lot like the travel cases one can buy to pack a bar of soap, and usually sell for a couple of dollars.

I also have some which are made just for 18650 which works but never tried to put a protected 14500 in my AA ones.

Woods Walker

The clear case ones are also good though have broke the inside plastic divider slit things on a few but that did not degrade the field effectiveness.

Eidolon

Newly Enlightened
That's exactly what I was looking for gentlemen, thank you very much.

Woods Walker

SF makes (not sure if they still make them) some of the best battery holders. I think they have a smaller 4 battery holder as well. It's probably the most durable on I own.

The below one can carry 2x18650 or 4XCR123 depending on orientation.

Eidolon

Newly Enlightened
I actually picked up the MD2 because of your review of it Woods Walker. It's such a great light, and one of the reason I now need a reason to stock and store 123s!

I'm going to dremel off that lanyard holding part of the clip tomorrow with an abrasive cutter, then sand it down with a wheel. But otherwise the light is a dream.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
A case that I use is a waterproof match case- holds an 18650 or 2 cr123's.

Can be found in any camping supply store or online for about $2.

Woods Walker

I actually picked up the MD2 because of your review of it Woods Walker. It's such a great light, and one of the reason I now need a reason to stock and store 123s!

I'm going to dremel off that lanyard holding part of the clip tomorrow with an abrasive cutter, then sand it down with a wheel. But otherwise the light is a dream.

Cool! Gene makes a nice light and drop-in. The Malkoff junkies have cost me a bunch of money over the years. Then again I guess I am a junkie as well.

Jbones

Newly Enlightened
I really like the case star 18650 battery cases on Amazon, they'll hold 2 18650's or 4 cr123a's each and are waterproof. Keep em in the tool bag at all times. The batteries rattle in there a little bit so it's not a tight fit but they can handle it

They're similar to food containers that have the silicone bead that seals it up airtight with 4 snaps

david57strat

Enlightened
Pelican 1010 cases are my personal favorite.

08-31-17 - I Edited out all the dead picture links, since I was previously using Photobucket. No more. My newer contribution to this thread, with some newer pictures added, as well, can be found in Post # 35.

You can go two layers deep, with 18650 batteries, or you can house 4 26650 batteries.
Airtight, crush proof, water proof, with one-way air purge valve. Amazing little cases!

Last edited:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the StorACell and Pelican systems, I use the BatteryClip (Available in 8x CR123 & 10x AA clips) and Thyrm's Cell Vault (3x CR123 or 2x AA).

MX421

Enlightened
I like the storacell holders on B&H or Powerpax brand on Illumn. Although probably not as durable, I also like the single cell silicone 18650 holders on Illumn. I also have a few of the plastic cases and have tried the match holders and pill cases. Best of all though, i like to get flashlights to hold my batteries :)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the Stor-a-Cell (a.k.a. Powerpax) holders with my Eneloop Pro batteries, but they did not work.

The batteries were so tight that the wrappers were in danger of being torn.

Those holders depend on a tight fit. For primary batteries that's probably fine. You only need to put a primary battery in the holder once or twice during its lifetime. When, however, you have a rechargeable battery that you expect to push in and out of the holder hundreds of times, the tight fit will inevitably lead to rubbing and abrasion.

In addition, the metal contacts on both ends of a battery are exposed when it is clipped into a Stor-a-cell holder. One end is recessed; the other is not. If you toss one of these into a tray of small screws and nuts, and shake it up a little, a short-circuit is unlikely. It is not, however, impossible.

I decided to go with holders that encase a battery completely.

Woods Walker

Mine seem to hold Duracell Durlocks (Eneloop pros rebagged I think) just fine. That said it wouldn't take much of a manufacturing size disparity to negate that.