Sad day: SPY007 XM-L MIA FOUND IT!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were on a road trip to our daughters graduation over the weekend.
I was carrying both my Tri V3, and the SWGG XM-L Spy.
We had a few stops on the 8 hour drive ( gas, lunch etc), and when we got to the hotel the SPY was not be be found. Was hoping I had left it at home.
Got home last night, searched the house. NOTHING.
Searched the car. NOTHING.

My best guess is, it was in my pocket at the first stop for lunch, and it must have fallen out.
Will call the restaurant later today, but that was 6 days ago.

My guess is, it is long gone & whoever found it has not idea how to use it, as the lock was on. So they will only get 1/2 power for 10 seconds.

Thankfully the Tri-V3 was in my jeans pocket.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sad day: SPY007 XM-L MIA

I feel your pain. I lost an Oveready DD light last year, and what worries me most is that someone puts the wrong cells in it and destroys it. Well, that and not finding it.
P

BarryG

Enlightened

Very bad news for a great member!
Hopefully someone found it, couldn't get it to work and turned it in to the manager. Good luck on the recovery!

msim

Enlightened

So sorry to hear that... :(

I worry about losing my higher end lights so usually when I travel I'll take some of the 'B-Team' along with maybe one of my higher end favorites. (of course I don't have anything as high end as a SPY007.)

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hate to say the obvious, but that's why I sold mine. I had a few close calls, including leaving a SPY velcro-mounted on my bike locked on the street over night!

Bottom line is they make it possible to take a 1000 USD hit just from pocket failure or an ever so slightly absentminded lapse in attention. It's not like wearing a 1000 dollar watch. It's like carrying a 1000 dollar watch in your coat pocket. Or was it in your cargo pants pocket?

Thank goodness it wasn't your Tri-V.

Sorry for your loss.

I put a paper inside my lights with my name and phone number on the off chance that someone might be nice even when they find something shiny.

obi

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put a paper inside my lights with my name and phone number on the off chance that someone might be nice even when they find something shiny.

obi
That's such a good idea. As long as they bother to look inside. If they found it after they'd run the battery down the chances are that they'd already found it useful and will keep it, though.
Maybe I'll get mine engraved with my cell number.
Good thinking.
P

archimedes

Flashaholic

Oh man, so sorry to hear that :(

I have had major problems with a Tri-V in the past :poof: ... and that is just an awful and absolutely sick feeling :sick2:

Since these are such an obviously unusual and valuable item, might it be worth putting up photos / flyers and offering a substantial reward if found ?

As you note, it is likely that whomever finds it will not know how to use it properly.

Even the batteries are of a type that most non-CPF people don't want to have to buy. Did it have primaries, or rechargeables inside ?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

It had IMR's in it, and I was going to put a paper around them with my contact info. I will be doing that tonight for the rest of my lights.

mendhammarsh

Enlightened

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Spy-007. I am considering adding a rider to my insurance policy (if possible) to cover some of my flashlights (in case of loss).

archimedes

Flashaholic

There's even some (admittedly remote) chance that someone doing a websearch will stumble across this thread.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. That is a very proud moment I'm sure. Many years of hard work on everybody's part.

I'm sorry to hear about your flashlight. I will offer you and Archimedes a substantial discount on a new flashlight.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Very kind offer @Data ... thank you

I'm all set for torches at the moment, but it is appreciated

magellan

Honorary Aussie

Just noticed this thread. Really sorry to hear about your loss.

I rarely take my really expensive lights out of the house. By "expensive" I mean at least a few hundred to over $500. But I just don't even use the few that I have that are over $1000 outside the house as I'm too worried about dropping them or losing them.

Hope it turns up and again sorry about your loss.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave, that is very generous.

I have never been afraid to use my lights, that is why I had 2 on the trip.

This is the one I use a whole lot at the cabin on a Gorillapod. Lights up the kitchen table nicely when placed on the propane fridge.

Exeter354

Enlightened

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. That is a very proud moment I'm sure. Many years of hard work on everybody's part.

I'm sorry to hear about your flashlight. I will offer you and Archimedes a substantial discount on a new flashlight.

That is what I call a true gentleman.

Sorry for your loss Launch Mini. Had a few close calls myself...sickening feeling.