• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New XT2C w/ XPL HI

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=128&id=115

Very exciting to see Klarus move into XPL HIs. Hoping my beloved XT1C is next in line for this treatment.

One question here: the specs say 14762 cd, which is basically exactly the same as the previous version that had an XML2 (I think). I'm guessing this is a mistake on the current specs? All the competitors are getting >20k cd with this LED, usually in heads that are a few mm smaller than the 26mm listed in the specs. Wondering if this is a mistake in the specs, and you have an update?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=128&id=115

Very exciting to see Klarus move into XPL HIs. Hoping my beloved XT1C is next in line for this treatment.

One question here: the specs say 14762 cd, which is basically exactly the same as the previous version that had an XML2 (I think). I'm guessing this is a mistake on the current specs? All the competitors are getting >20k cd with this LED, usually in heads that are a few mm smaller than the 26mm listed in the specs. Wondering if this is a mistake in the specs, and you have an update?

The XTC2 is what I am considering.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love everything about that light, except the fact that Klarus only managed 14k cd out of an XPL HI, which in lights this size, every other company can reach that number with an XML2. The whole point of the XPL HI is the drastic increase in candlepower, and every other company has managed to deliver that in abundance, which similar sized lights doing 20k-25k cd. I'm still hoping this is a typo on the specs, and that 14kcd isn't really the best Klarus could do

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love everything about that light, except the fact that Klarus only managed 14k cd out of an XPL HI, which in lights this size, every other company can reach that number with an XML2. The whole point of the XPL HI is the drastic increase in candlepower, and every other company has managed to deliver that in abundance, which similar sized lights doing 20k-25k cd. I'm still hoping this is a typo on the specs, and that 14kcd isn't really the best Klarus could do

Joe,
What does 20-25,000 cd mean in lumens? I have a XTC2 sitting in a "cart" waiting for me to buy it. :) Do you carry it in your pocket, or in a bag?

radiopej

Enlightened
Joe,
What does 20-25,000 cd mean in lumens? I have a XTC2 sitting in a "cart" waiting for me to buy it. :) Do you carry it in your pocket, or in a bag?
Candela doesn't translate directly into lumens. Lumens = total output. The peak beam intensity is the thing measured in candela (cd), and it refers to the intensity of the hotspot. You can have high lumens with lower candela = flood, but you can also have higher candela from more lumens that are focused = spot beam.

Some lights will have have higher candela simply because they have so many lumens coming out that the hotspot is just intensely bright, but because of the candela:lumens ratio they'll still be floody lights. Somebody one made a post about candela:lumen ratios around here, I thought it was clever when I came up with it but it turned out that was already bathing.

radiopej

Enlightened
Such a nice light. It's like a streamlined version of the XT11S, for people who know they only need high and strobe from off, and who don't need charging.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe,
Did you understand radio's reply? Lumens and candela are not translatable. Lumens is total output. Candela is brightness of the hotspot. In terms of lights for defensive use, higher candela means the bright spot is brighter and more blinding, a real advantage of this usage.

There are a few LEDs that will pump out 1000ish lumens for this sized light. The reason to use this particular LED -- xpl hi -- is because it so drastically increases the candelas (that is, the light is more blinding than a light with the same lumens but lower candela). And, if I haven't beaten the dead horse enough already, that's where I come to the XT2C's incredibly poor 14kcd. I have a far smaller Eagletac that's putting out 22kcd. There's a similar-sized Nitecore doing 25kcd. 14kcd is such bad performance in a light this size, I'm still somewhat convinced it's a typo that needs to be corrected on the website; all other vendors are getting close to that level of performance with XML2s and the like. I can't believe Klarus engineering is this bad ... I think they need to re-measure the light and update the specs

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candela doesn't translate directly into lumens. Lumens = total output. The peak beam intensity is the thing measured in candela (cd), and it refers to the intensity of the hotspot. You can have high lumens with lower candela = flood, but you can also have higher candela from more lumens that are focused = spot beam.

Some lights will have have higher candela simply because they have so many lumens coming out that the hotspot is just intensely bright, but because of the candela:lumens ratio they'll still be floody lights. Somebody one made a post about candela:lumen ratios around here, I thought it was clever when I came up with it but it turned out that was already bathing.

Thank you for the explanation.

Such a nice light. It's like a streamlined version of the XT11S, for people who know they only need high and strobe from off, and who don't need charging.

I do want high and strobe from off. :)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
To continue on the theme, we're now starting to see lights in the exact same form factor as the new XT2C, using LEDs with domes, and similar lumens, that get higher candlepower than the XT2C with XPL HI. I think Klarus must have completely mis-understood the demand for XPL HIs ... we didn't ask for it just because it's some fancy new LED, we asked for HIs because of the increased candlepower. It just doesn't make sense to put an XPL HI in, and then de-focus it to the point that it's getting LOWER candlepower than similar lights than regular domed XPLs.