Test/Review of Charger Xtar SV2 Rocket

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Charger Xtar SV2 Rocket[/size]

DSC_4554.jpg

DSC_4555.jpg
DSC_4556.jpg

This Xtar charger can charge NiMH and LiIon batteries, it can handle fairly large cells and can also use a both low and fairly high charge current.

I got the charger in a retail cardboard box from. The box has a lot of specifications printed on the back.

DSC_4549.jpg

The box contained the charger, a mains power supply, a car adapter a instruction sheet and a warranty card.

DSC_4558.jpg

The charger has a DC input socket (5.5/2.1mm) where either the power supply or the car adapter can be connected.

DSC_4560.jpg

The user interface is a display, two leds and one button.
A short press on the button will change charge current between 0.5A, 1A and 2A, a double tap (Why?) will change to 0.25A, a long press will turn the display off. With display off a short press or removing/inserting batteries will turn it on again.
The CH1/CH2 leds are red while charging and green at all other times.

DSC_4689.jpg
DSC_4687.jpg

The display shows selected current and how much the batteries are charged. After some time the brightness will be reduced, but it is still easy to read the display and a press on the button will return it to full brightness.

DSC_4561.jpg
DSC_4562.jpg

The charger uses the typical slider construction with a metal rail and works smoothly from about 30mm to 71mm, i.e. the charger can handle long protected 18650/26650/32650 cells.
Notice the long metal bar at the plus connection, this makes it possible to handle 32650 and D cells, it also means that flat-tops with very retracted plus pole may need a magnet to connect (The flat-top cells I tested worked directly).

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_4630.jpg
DSC_4631.jpg
DSC_4632.jpg
DSC_4633.jpg

DSC_4624.jpg
DSC_4622.jpg
DSC_4623.jpg
DSC_4625.jpg
DSC_4626.jpg

DSC_4635.jpg
DSC_4628.jpg
DSC_4629.jpg

The charger can handle 71 mm long batteries, including flat top cells.
Many high current 18650 can be charged at 2A with only a minor impact on lifetime.

[size=+2]Measurements[/size]

• When not powered a LiIon will discharge with about 2.3mA.
  • When not powered a NiMH will discharge with about 0.8mA.
  • When LiIon battery is full the charger will charge with 0.6mA.
  • The charger will restart if battery voltage drops below 3.94 volt.
  • Charge will restart charging after power loss, or battery insertion.
  • Charger will charge from zero volt with about 100mA
  • Below 2 volt the charger assumes NiMH
  • Between 2 and 3 volt the charger uses 10% charge current
  • Above 3 volt regular LiIon charging is used.
  • Power consumption when idle is 0.6 Watt (0.9W with bright background light).

[size=+2]Charging LiIon[/size]

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(PA18650-31)%20%231.png

Nice and fast CC/CV voltage charging with 65mA termination.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(PA18650-31)%20%232.png

It is the same on the other slot.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(SA18650-26)%20%231.png

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(PA18650-34)%20%231.png

Other capacities are handled just as fine.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(BE18650-26)%20%231.png

Also the old cell is handled as fast as possible, but due to the higher resistance it will spend more time in CV phase.

Xtar%20SV2%200.25A%20(KP14500-08)%20%231.png

Again a good CC/CV curve and the termination current is lower at 35mA.

Xtar%20SV2%200.5A%20(AW18350-IMR)%20%231.png

Also a good charge curve.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(2xPA18650-31).png

The charger easily handles two cells at 1A.

Xtar%20SV2%202A%20(2xAWT18650-30).png

At 2A the temperature raises, but the charge curve is the same nice one.

Temp3209.png

M1: 45,3°C, M2: 45,8°C, M3: 48,0°C, HS1: 62,9°C
At 2A the charger is warm.

PowerOnLiIon.png

The charger needs 2 to 4 seconds to start, as can be seen the current slowly ramps up.

CurrentChangeLiIon.png

This is also the case when changing current, when increasing current it is ramped up, when reducing current drops immediately.

[size=+2]Charging NiMH[/size]

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(eneloop)%20%231.png

The charger start charging NiMH with a low current, then after about 10 minutes it goes to the selected charge current. Termination looks to be on voltage in this case here, followed by a two hour top-off/trickle charge at 50mA (Charger displays done).

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(eneloop)%20%232.png

It is the same on the other channel.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(eneloopPro)%20%231.png

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(eneloopXX)%20%231.png

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(powerex)%20%231.png

The 3 high capacity cells are also handled fine, two of them with -dv/dt termination.

Xtar%20SV2%200.5A%20(eneloopAAA)%20%231.png

I use a lower current here, this also means the top-off charge is done with slightly lower current.

Xtar%20SV2%200.25A%20(eneloop)%20%231.png

With a 0.25A current there is no -dv/dt signal to termination on and it looks like the charger terminates on time.
This is not a fault with the charger, but use of wrong charge parameters for the cell.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20full%20(eneloop)%20%231.png

The charger takes some time to detect a full cell, first the 10 minutes with slow charging and then a few minutes with full current.
It do also use the top-off/trickle in this case.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(2xeneloop).png

Two cells at 1A is no problem.

Xtar%20SV2%202A%20(2xeneloop).png

Neither is two cells at 2A, but things are starting getting warm.

Temp3203.png

M1: 46,7°C, M2: 46,7°C, M3: 46,1°C, M4: 57,6°C,HS1: 63,2°C

PowerOnNiMH.png

The charger needs about 4 seconds, before it starts a low current charge.

PowerOnNiMH2.png

10 minutes later it will switch to full current.

CurrentChangeNiMH.png

With NiMH the current do not ramp, but jumps directly to selected value.

TrickleChargeNiMH.png

The top-off/trickle charge is done with current pulses at the selected charge current. The pulse is 1 second wide each 21 second. This gives 47mA at 1A charge current.

[size=+2]Charging LiIon and NiMH at the same time[/size]

It is possible to charge one LiIon and one NiMH battery in the charger at the same time.
As usual the temperature sensor is on the opposite cell.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(eneloop+PA18650-31).png

In this curve I recorded the NiMH battery, it looks the same as above.

Xtar%20SV2%201A%20(PA18650-31+eneloop).png

The LiIon also looks the same as above.

Testing the mains transformer with 2500 volt and 5000 volt between mains and low volt side, did not show any safety problems.

[size=+2]Conclusion[/size]

This charger can handle from 10440 cells to 32650 cells or AAAA to D cells, the only requirement is that the user selects the correct charge current. The display is rather simple with only current and charge percent.

For a "simple" charger this is a very good charger for both LiIon and NiMH.

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

The charger was supplied by Gearbest for a review.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger
Read more about how I test USB power supplies/charger

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears this is the replacement for the XTAR SP 2 charger.

scintillator

Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed review HKJ very helpfull as usual.
I have been using this charger for about a month now and it is easy to use.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting to compare the thermal imaging temperatures to other chargers, e.g. compare this to the Opus BT-C3100. But you don't seem to always list the conditions (e.g. current, ambient temp, etc) under which the thermal imaging was performed, so we could be comparing apples to oranges. Perhaps you could update the reviews with this info if you still have it (and maybe it would be useful to attempt to devise a "standard" context to make comparisons easier).

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
It would be interesting to compare the thermal imaging temperatures to other chargers, e.g. compare this to the Opus BT-C3100. But you don't seem to always list the conditions (e.g. current, ambient temp, etc) under which the thermal imaging was performed, so we could be comparing apples to oranges. Perhaps you could update the reviews with this info if you still have it (and maybe it would be useful to attempt to devise a "standard" context to make comparisons easier).

I always use highest charge current for thermal imaging. For ambient look for the lowest temp., that will be very close to ambient (You can see it at the bottom of the scale).
I cannot do a standard ambient temperature, in our country air condition is fairly rare.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always use highest charge current for thermal imaging. For ambient look for the lowest temp., that will be very close to ambient (You can see it at the bottom of the scale)...

How about an example. Using the images in your Opus BT-C3100 review, and based on what you know about your test environment, could you please explain how to infer which charger is heating the cells more, the Opus or this XTAR?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
How about an example. Using the images in your Opus BT-C3100 review, and based on what you know about your test environment, could you please explain how to infer which charger is heating the cells more, the Opus or this XTAR?

That would be the SV2, it charges with highest current and has no fan. The cells are around 45C in SV2 at 2A and only about 37C in C3100 (At 1A), both with an ambient around 21C-22C. This is also obvious when looking at the black lines on the charge charts, the temperature is not the same but again the SV2 is warmest.

HKJ

Flashaholic
What happens if you charge an Eneloop AAA at 2 amps by mistake?

Probably nothing (Except extra wear), eneloop are very robust.
Anyway an exploding NiMH is not nearly as violent as an exploding LiIon cell. The problem with LiIon is that it will self ignite when above a certain temperature and they contains combustible chemicals.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now what happens if you charge a 10440 at 2 amps by mistake? Is there any safety features to prevent an accident.
Probably nothing (Except extra wear), eneloop are very robust.
Anyway an exploding NiMH is not nearly as violent as an exploding LiIon cell. The problem with LiIon is that it will self ignite when above a certain temperature and they contains combustible chemicals.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Now what happens if you charge a 10440 at 2 amps by mistake? Is there any safety features to prevent an accident.

I am not going to do that test and if you do I would suggest doing it outdoors. :grin2:

With most round cell chargers it is up to the user to select the correct current, there is no safety.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be the SV2, it charges with highest current and has no fan. The cells are around 45C in SV2 at 2A and only about 37C in C3100 (At 1A), both with an ambient around 21C-22C. This is also obvious when looking at the black lines on the charge charts, the temperature is not the same but again the SV2 is warmest.

Thanks. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me enough to figure out in general how to use those images to do thermal comparisons. For example, at what time during the charge was the image taken? Do you always use the same cells? If not, big differences in IR could cause big thermal differences. One would have to design a carefully controlled standardized thermal test in order for any sort of comparison to be meaningful.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me enough to figure out in general how to use those images to do thermal comparisons. For example, at what time during the charge was the image taken? Do you always use the same cells? If not, big differences in IR could cause big thermal differences. One would have to design a carefully controlled standardized thermal test in order for any sort of comparison to be meaningful.

Instead of all your problems with my test, why don't you do your own.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
My remarks were meant to be constructive. With just some minor changes, one could make a first step towards being able to do thermal comparisons of chargers. This would be very useful information to have given that heat plays a significant role both in cell health and safety matters.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ, thank you for your time and effort on another great review!
Really wish Xtar would make 2A charger with voltage readout for charging/resting voltage instead of the percentage readout.

markr6

Flashaholic
Really wish Xtar would make 2A charger with voltage readout for charging/resting voltage instead of the percentage readout.

Yes. That's my requirement for any chargers moving forward. The percentage thing is useless to me. I love my VP2, being able to throw a cell in and do a quick voltage read. During charging it's obviously reading higher, but good enough.