Video Review: Astrolux S41 Quad Emitter 18350 flashlight

mhanlen

Enlightened
Astrolux S41 Review

Got a new review for a pretty cool light here- The Astrolux S41. TheS41 is a quad emitter light available in two editions… a cool white XP-G2 version and the Nichia NW version seen in this review. The flashlight requires a high drain 18350 battery, and as you could imagine has short runtimes on the higher modes. I tested the output to over 1400 lumens with a Keeppower, so it's a real scorcher.

I test outputs, runtimes, demonstrate the UI, and walk around with it indoors and out. The moonlight is pretty low on this unit- which is awesome too. Anyway, Bangood provided this for review… and it's also rebranded as the Manker E14 elsewhere. Oops… forgot to say… no visible PWM on any modes. So it's a suitable for people sensitive to it… and good for photography and videography.

GODOFWAR

Banned
I recently posted on YouTube channel on zebralight review and I asked you for a review of the Astrolux sc I love your reviews good luck and keep up the good work

mhanlen

Enlightened
Love all of your reviews, especially your "desperate attempts to be funny."

BTW, good-natured poke at Surefire owners was great.

I only mention that because someone really said that under my Noctigon Meteor review. I was like uhhh.... Sorry but your surefire isn't over 6000 lumens. On a side note... a 180 degree shutter is 1/48 a second. Which is a much faster exposure than most nighttime still beamshots.

I recently posted on YouTube channel on zebralight review and I asked you for a review of the Astrolux sc I love your reviews good luck and keep up the good work

I remember... I'm working on that one I promise! I actually started doing that one before this one... and both of those lights are pretty awesome too. I needed to finish this one first, because it was sent to me. I bought the other models, so I've taken more time with those.

Yup, another fine, informative, funny and entertaining review. :twothumbs

Thanks man!

Great video as always!

Thanks!

mhanlen

Enlightened
Great review mhanlen, thanks. This is a fun light- though it seems like you had more fun than I did. [emoji15][emoji38]

You must mean the PG-13 stuff! Either that or you didn't like yours. So I think it's the first one...

wolfgaze

Enlightened
"And finally level 7, otherwise known as holy ****"

:laughing:

What I like most about your reviews is all of the footage of you shining the light around in various environments. Really gives the viewer a good idea of how using the light will be experienced.... Thanks

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
that was an awesome review! You obviously put a lot into your videos. That being said the S41 is kind of like an answer to a question nobody asked. The new breed Zebralights are a tiny bit bigger take bigger cells and have almost as much output.

mhanlen

Enlightened
that was an awesome review! You obviously put a lot into your videos. That being said the S41 is kind of like an answer to a question nobody asked. The new breed Zebralights are a tiny bit bigger take bigger cells and have almost as much output.

That's fair. I own one of those Zebralights and like it a lot. This is not a light for people who like long runtimes- and it's a lot like putting a small block in a Metro.

Correct! I love my light but we are just good friends.
smile.gif

Noted!

DMS1970

Enlightened

I'm with CelticCross74 on this one. Bought one, put a battery in it, turned it on and said "wow". Sold it yesterday. The weight and size with the copper made it no advantage to carry over my SC63, and the clip kinda sucks.6 half clicks to get to turbo, I'll pass.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bear in mind that you CAN get an 18650 battery tube for the S14 for just a few more bucks. In fact, I would consider the 18650 tube MANDATORY for this light. It actually makes it a practical and usable light.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Actually 1 long click after you turn it on for turbo. If you start out in moonlight just press and hold a second and release, so two clicks. Then again I don't really like the Zebralights 1 short click turbo either. Oh yeah it ain't light, that's for sure. Yeah I see what you mean about the clip, there's that little lip to get over- so you might have to wiggle it. That said, the sc600 clip ripped an interior pocket because it's so tight. The A6/astrolux clip is slightly less tight- so I don't lift it as hard. My perfect pocket clip is my Endura 4... it slides right in and has the right amount of tension. But then again, some people complain the paint on those clips wears too easily. The Manker clip would be much better served though, if it was closer to the tailcap then it wouldn't need for that design. Oh well... all important points. These help improve products.

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

As wolfgaze mentioned, I like how you actually use the light in the video instead of spending 90% of the time sitting at a desk narrating and 10% of the time actually showing the light being used (and not at a desk or wall). I especially like shots when you just have the light shining in one spot or moving slow enough so I can get a better idea of what the hotspot/spill may look like in person. Sometimes with reviews, its hard to get an idea what the beam actually looks like when used.

Keep up the good work!

recDNA

Flashaholic
But not hi cri and ZL costs more than twice as much

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm with CelticCross74 on this one. Bought one, put a battery in it, turned it on and said "wow". Sold it yesterday. The weight and size with the copper made it no advantage to carry over my SC63, and the clip kinda sucks.6 half clicks to get to turbo, I'll pass.
I got mine into the 4 mode ui. I like it much better but getting to turbo only takes 1 click and one long soft press whether you use the 7 step ui or the 4 step ui.