Signal Mirror

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shot in the dark question, anyone have any experience with Coghlan's signal mirror model #0905? It's the plastic encased glass model as opposed to the laminated all glass (both 2x3).

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my take but I would rather have an unbreakable stainless steel or highly polished aluminum mirror with a cut or star cross or X in the center of the mirror for sighting the plane,boat or vehicle you want to get the attention of. They were included in survival packs for USAF crews.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a stainless steel mirror I use for working around the home and such but it's all scratchy and hazy. Fine for what it's used for but I was looking for something for kayaking. Plastic (acrylic) encased is more durable then glass and floats but I wanted to hear from someone about the reflectivity as it's glass under the plastic (this model).

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not purchase a compass with the mirror? The Silva Ranger is a good heavy duty model and kills a few birds with a single purchase.

No need for a compass/mirror combo (too big), just wanted something small as a way of signaling if necessary.

tex.proud

Enlightened
They come in a felt lined pouch to keep from getting scratched while packed away. I've had the old metal one's as "unbreakable", but they got scratched very easily. Keeping the countycomm mirrors in the pouch in my pack they stay pristine. I haven't HAD to use them, but I do take them out while outdoors for the sake of using the gear I carry, and making sure that it is a truly useful piece of kit. I still keep them in my 2 bags.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my spare CR123 batteries in their delrin cases. Even use one to carry 2 weeks worth of my blood pressure medication in.

OK tex there is another similarity derlin case and blood pressure medicine. Kinda getting scary now. I was telling my girlfriend about it she said how funny he's just like you;)

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it will work well and I'm happy with it, seems better made then the other acrylic/plastic ones I've seen in the stores. I'll try to post some pics below.

Last edited:

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
This looks similar to a back up one I keep around. If it is, you can also take the mirror out of this plastic casing. Unless you can manage to keep it protected well, it will scratch.

But mine does work! And yes, it has been used on several occasions.