Review: Manker E11 - AA/14500 XP-L

Budda

Enlightened
Manker was kind enough to supply me a E11 for the review.

DSCN0516_zpstj2o0epj.jpg

DSCN0537_zpsjmf44oid.jpg

Manker's specs:
- Max lumens output: 400lm (Eneloop Pro Ni-Mh battery), 800lm (IMR 14500 li-ion)
- Circuit: Most efficiency constant current circuit, maximum runtime up to 266 hours
- Material: Aircraft-grade aluminium body
- Surface treatment: Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- Clip: Titanium coated stainless steel clip.
- Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
- Tail stand
- Water proof: IPX-8 (2 meters under water)
- Impact resistance: 2 meters
- Size: length 82mm x diameter 20mm, Weight: 39g(without battery)
- Brightness Levels:
Eneloop PRO: Moonlight 2lm 171hrs, Low 60lm 11hrs, Medium 200lm 2.2hrs, High 400lm 1.2hrs, Strobe 400lm, SOS 200 lm, Beacon 50lm (
IMR 14500: moonlight 10lm 44hrs, Low 100LM 12hrs, Medium 320lm 1.7hrs, High 800lm 0.4hrs, Strobe 800lm, SOS 300lm, Beacon 80lm

Note that this sample will be tested with nimh only. Manker will supply me another sample with up to date driver that fully supports 14500 batteries, I'll test it and I'll update the review.

The E11 comes in a small cardboard box.
Inside the box: light, clip, spare o-rings, lanyard and manual.
DSCN0520_zpsjzhygovb.jpg

DSCN0533_zpsnxga4heo.jpg

There is knurling on the light, and the anodization is good.
DSCN0522_zpsnw3iuioo.jpg

DSCN0525_zpsxaeazqqr.jpg

DSCN0529_zpsvikggz3p.jpg

DSCN0590_zpsrbzmiu8f.jpg

The E11 has a electronic switch at the head, while the tailcap is flat/recessed, with a lanyard hole. This design is similar to the one of the other Manker Quinlan lights, and allows tailstand.
DSCN0540_zpsnwgnyqz3.jpg

DSCN0548_zpsl8tiaabm.jpg

The clip doubles also as anti-rolling device, and is the same for the T01.
DSCN0559_zps5finkyxr.jpg

In the small OP reflector there is an XP-L emitter, CW. The reflector is made of aluminium and is threated (it screws in the head).
DSCN0549_zps2ebnfscb.jpg

DSCN0551_zpsx8womtvt.jpg

The battery orientation is indicated under the switch. I find the switch to be a bit lighter, compared to the ones of the U11 and T01. It protrudes a bit.
DSCN0592_zpsuhpoagf8.jpg

The body has anodised threads, so you can physically lockout the light by untwisting the tailcap or the head of the light. At the head of the light there is a slightly raised golden positive pole. No physical protection against polarity inversion.
DSCN0543_zpsxndwgpyz.jpg

DSCN0545_zpseiswq7ii.jpg

Some pics with other 1xAA lights that I own: the bigger brother T01 and the Thrunite T10, which I stole form my father (it's one of his bedside light) for the pics.
DSCN0554_zpsey5zssdw.jpg

DSCN0561_zpszlcyki9m.jpg

UI
The E11 in practical terms is a simpler version of the Manker T01, without the program feature and with less modes.

From off, one short click turns the light on at the lowest level.
From off, a long click turns the light on at the last used level (low mode doesn't count).
When the light is on, a double click gives you strobe mode.
A single click when the light is on advances in the next mode (low medium high turbo if you are in the constant output mode, strobe SOS beacon if you are in the flashing mode).

Output, Beamshots, Runtime.
Powering the E11 with a nimh and a 14500 battery will lead to different output and runtimes.
To get the 800 lumens output you'll need high quality IMR 14500. Regular 14500 may stop to work in the light because the PCB will kick in when many amps are required.
To get the 400 lumens output you'll need high quality nimh batteries.
I tested the output using Panasonic Eneloop XX 2500 mAh, at room temperature.

Real world beamshots, around 30 meters at the most distant trees. The light is brighter compared to the pics with 4" exposure, but the next settings on my camera is 8". With 8" they came overexposed, so here are the pics with 4" exposure.
E11%204sec_zpskyvzgvou.jpg

The XP-L emitter makes a wide and smooth beam. With an AA nimh it illuminates brightly short distances, I'd say not more than 30 meters.

Runtime
Sampling rate is 2" for turbo mode, longer for the other tested levels.
E11%20XX_zpsutk7ytpn.png

Edit 10 July 2016
Efest 14500 IMR v2 700mAh, charged each time at 0.5A.

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20All_zpsfayoyfuh.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20Hi%203_zpsl52cenj3.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20Hi%20and%20Mid_zpsfpqeyeri.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20and%20AA_zpsr3teh6ow.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20and%20AA%20Hi%20and%20Mid_zps8s1mbbeb.p  ng

My thoughts
The E11 a compact but powerful 1xAA light. The fit and finish are great. Getting more than 400 lumens by a single AA nimh battery is not so common, but for Manker seems a no-brainer.
The regulation is great: only the needed stepdown after 3" of turbo mode, and after that it stay on at 300 lumens. The light will let you know that the battery is running low with short notice, just few minutes.
There are new AA lights being sold right now that have an output of less than 200 lumens on the brightest mode, while the E11 has double output.

I like direct access to low mode and a higher output mode. This light, as all the other Manker I tested, gives you accesso to a low mode and a mode higher than low (the last one you used). I'd like to see quick access to low, real turbo and maybe another level.
While the clip was fine on the T01 (since it rests in a recessed part of the light), here it protrudes too much and has a strange bend on the outside. This one is also too tight all the way to fit on thick clothes, like my jeans. I simply bent it at the end with pliers wrapped in clothes (for not leaving marks), and now it is more comfortable. I'd like that the bended part inside the loop of the clip to be more long, like on the U11.
Accessing to strobe mode is easy, maybe still a bit too much. I would decrease the delay for the light to consider two single click a double click, let's say a 1/10 or 1/5 of a second. Manker has already done so compared to the U11 and the T01 models (it is more difficult to get into strobe accidentally), but I'll decrease it even more.

I leave mine on the turbo mode. So, when I need a low level, I turn it on with a short click and get 1 lumen; when I need more light, I turn it on with a long lick and I get the turbo mode.

The MSRP price of the light is very reasonable, 30$ when this review is written.

Thanks to: AntoLed (for lending me the Camera and the Luxmeter), P.P. (Beamshot location), Manker (sponsoring the batteries).

EDIT 28 June 2016
Lot of people worried about the tint.
Mine is not bad at all for a CW (for you cool white lovers this is a bit on the neutral white).
Here's compared to a Thrunite T10 with an XP-G Led with a CW tint.
The distance at the wall is same for both lights. I set them to a comparable brightness level (can't do miracles, yet).
T10%201-30_zpsqo6dqake.jpg

E11%201-30_zps1t58lwyr.jpg

I pushed further the camera, and I don't know why the colour for both lights changes. Use this pics only to see the differences in the beam appareance, not the tint.
T10%20-%20E11%201-60_zpsbzadtiof.jpg

T10%20-%20E11%201-125_zpssknikmra.jpg

The T10 is not known as a thrower. The E11 has a wider beam.

For you Candle guys, nothing really new is said in this video, but you can still admire the light moving in my hands while I delight you with my english.
[video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VitqyD-D8oM[/video]

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
Thanks for the informative review Budda! Manker has burst on the scene w/some really interesting enthusiast lights, and the build quality seems above average comparatively speaking. Kinda wish they had a US dist./dealer (being in the US) since I've had the NW version of this light on order for approx 3 weeks through Amazon's source EDCgear and the USPS tracking link has yet to show anything...might be waiting another 3 or 4 weeks just to get one.

markr6

Flashaholic
Meanie greenie! :green:

SC52w on left.....Manker E11 on right
IMG_6270.JPG

As usual, the comparison makes it look better than by itself (actually somewhat white here), but still this one is really bad. Very unfortunate, since everything else about it is 100%. Actually it looks ok in this photo, but alien diarrhea green in person. Damn, stumped again!

IMG_6273.JPG

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! Would you mind enlarging the first minute of the run time plot? The output drops fast in there.
Also, how's run time with 14500?

Andreii

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Budda. Very good review. I have some questions. Is this flashlight waterproof and If i want to buy this flashlight but I am not Living in USA? Where can we buy this flashlight ?

Budda

Enlightened
As usual, the comparison makes it look better than by itself (actually somewhat white here), but still this one is really bad. Very unfortunate, since everything else about it is 100%. Actually it looks ok in this photo, but alien diarrhea green in person.
Damn, stumped again!
Ouch. Mine is fine.
I'd advise you to change your emitter (in all manker lights is very easy) to one with a tint of your choice. I usually go for warm white.

Thanks for the great review! Would you mind enlarging the first minute of the run time plot? The output drops fast in there.
Also, how's run time with 14500?
Thanks. No testing with 14500, yet.
No problem, here is 10 minuts closeup.
Manker%20E11%20Runtime%20magn_zpsuwi5xarv.png

Thank you Budda. Very good review. I have some questions. Is this flashlight waterproof and If i want to buy this flashlight but I am not Living in USA? Where can we buy this flashlight ?
Thanks. Both the ebay and the amazon Manker Shop are located in China and will ship from there.
I have not tested the waterproof capability of the light. All I can say is that it has big o-rings everywhere.

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Thank you again for the plot! I really appreciate that.

Streamer

Enlightened

SC52w on left.....Manker E11 on right
IMG_6270.JPG

As usual, the comparison makes it look better than by itself (actually somewhat white here), but still this one is really bad. Very unfortunate, since everything else about it is 100%. Actually it looks ok in this photo, but alien diarrhea green in person. Damn, stumped again!

IMG_6273.JPG

Good God, is that a Manker Cool White Emitter puking GREEN? E11 Neutral White emitter has to be better than that.

markr6

Flashaholic
Good God, is that a Manker Cool White Emitter puking GREEN? E11 Neutral White emitter has to be better than that.

Oh I forgot there were two flavors. I have the NW version. I now wish I went with the cool white. A decent cool white is always better than a dirty green neutral. I'm putting this in my car/EDC pouch which will probably never get used.

Streamer

Enlightened
Oh I forgot there were two flavors. I have the NW version. I now wish I went with the cool white. A decent cool white is always better than a dirty green neutral. I'm putting this in my car/EDC pouch which will probably never get used.

You can fix that tint with a piece of the LEE salmon-colored photo film sample kit. I did so on a greenish EagTac S-4 tint and now is very accetable tint. It was a CPF member who first posted about this technique. EZ install on the Manker because of the EZ screw-off bezel.

markr6

Flashaholic
You can fix that tint with a piece of the LEE salmon-colored photo film sample kit. I did so on a greenish EagTac S-4 tint and now is very accetable tint. It was a CPF member who first posted about this technique. EZ install on the Manker because of the EZ screw-off bezel.

I have a big roll of the pink -1/4 green film, but I gave up on that. It's just too sloppy and not the result I wanted. It definitely helps though.

Budda

Enlightened
Lot of people worried about the tint.
Mine is not bad at all for a CW (for you cool white lovers this is a bit on the neutral white).
Here's compared to a Thrunite T10 with an XP-G Led with a CW tint.
The distance at the wall is same for both lights. I set them to a comparable brightness level (can't do miracles, yet).
T10%201-30_zpsqo6dqake.jpg

E11%201-30_zps1t58lwyr.jpg

I pushed further the camera, and I don't know why the colour for both lights changes. Use this pics only to see the differences in the beam appareance, not the tint.
T10%20-%20E11%201-60_zpsbzadtiof.jpg

T10%20-%20E11%201-125_zpssknikmra.jpg

The T10 is not known as a thrower. The E11 has a wider beam.

markr6

Flashaholic
I wish I went with the CW :( (yes, probably the first time in my life I said that)

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see if this works, being my first image embedding.

I realize it's not great beamshots as the spills overlap and it was hastily done in my garage against a dirty door, but I thought it'd be an easy illustration to line up multiple lights to see how the tints compare.

Thorefire TA13 (budget zoomie, CW), Manker E11 NW, Olight M3XS-UT (dedome), Nitecore EC4SW (NW).

The Thorefire is quite blue. The Olight is quite green. The Nitecore is a good neutral. The Manker has a very faint yellow/green. Honestly the Manker would seem neutral if it weren't for the Nitecore as reference.

Maybe I'm not as picky as others about the green, maybe mine isn't as bad as yours, maybe the Olight is so green that the Manker looks anti-green (that's a thing, right?) to me. Whatever the case, I really don't have a problem with my E11 NW.

27937573386_b0c924cd2f_z.jpg

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened
Using Efest 14500 IMR v2 700mAh, charged each time at 0.5A.
Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20All_zpsfayoyfuh.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20Hi%203_zpsl52cenj3.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20Hi%20and%20Mid_zpsfpqeyeri.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20and%20AA_zpsr3teh6ow.png

Manker%20E11%20-%2014500%20and%20AA%20Hi%20and%20Mid_zps8s1mbbeb.png

Also, dumb video

Latest posts