Best portable solar charger?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Anker 15w folding solar panel, and it works great. It has been replaced by the 20w version. I use it to charge one of my power banks rather than trying to charge a device directly. That way it can be busy charging a power bank while I use the device I just charged from my power bank.

There are several very good threads on solar charging, etc. that you should read. Chris is kind of like our resident expert on the subject as well.

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Good question on Power Banks.

Had one for my cell phones but not sure it's the best. Is 2 or 3 years old. It's a Ravpower deluxe

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two 15000 mAh Maxboost power banks. I really like them, especially the digital power level display. The only drawback is that apparently by design or happenstance, the circuitry won't read a draw of less than .5A. I use one of those little USB LED lights to see to get around at night, but it only pulls .25A, so the power level display never leaves 100%. As soon as I plug something in that draws more than .5A the level display drops till it gets to the real power level, which is fine by me.

If for some reason I ever buy another one, I would probably buy an Anker. I have their folding solar panel and really like it. It works great.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I also have an Anker but it's 21w. I also use Anker power banks of which I have a few. The 26800 model is my largest.
Anker products are well built.

Lateck,

czajunia

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with the new RavPower 16W solar charger? Martin Lorton reviewed the older 15W one which was really good (apart from the weight) and I was wondering how well the new version performs.

After doing a bit of research Choetech 19W charger seems to tick the most boxes for me but I would like to know how the new RavPower compares. I have a feeling they both use similar or even the same panels but because the RavPower is a newer product I thought that maybe they improved something.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power banks, I like the TOMO V8 - 4 18650 Battery Charger.

I bought one of these from Tomo last month and while only plastic, it seem like it's up to the task and I like the ease in which I can remove the cells.

I also have a Ruinovo 4x18650 PB that HKJ has reviewed and while it's a bit more involved opening it up, the cells can be replaced.

Finally, I bought a genuine Xiaomi Mi 3x18650 PB and like that, but the cells are fixed. It's 10,000mAh rated with 6250mAh measured.

My solar panel is a Sunkingdom 14w folding jobbie for $40 and it works well enough. I would like to get the Anker 21w PowerPort charger down the road.

Chris

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with the new RavPower 16W solar charger? Martin Lorton reviewed the older 15W one which was really good (apart from the weight) and I was wondering how well the new version performs.

After doing a bit of research Choetech 19W charger seems to tick the most boxes for me but I would like to know how the new RavPower compares. I have a feeling they both use similar or even the same panels but because the RavPower is a newer product I thought that maybe they improved something.

Thanks for your input.
I thought I was the only person who has learned from Martin Lorton. :)

I expect advances in portable solar panels to increase each year, but from what I know now what is most important is not how many watts, but is what is the efficiency of the solar panels. Some internal panels are arranged in series where just a bit of shade reduces current to that entire circuit.

Last edited:

czajunia

Newly Enlightened
I thought I was the only person who has learned from Martin Lorton. :)

I expect advances in portable solar panels to increase each year, but from what I know now what is most important is not how many watts, but is what is the efficiency of the solar panels. Some internal panels are arranged in series where just a bit of shade reduces current to the entire circuit.

For me this is the best source of practical, hands-on information regarding solar panels on the web. Plus it's great that the web site is being updated with new chargers every now and then. It would be great if there were also reviews of the latest chargers with more efficient panels such as the RavPower I mentioned earlier or the EasyAcc 15W charger (which is probably 10W max by the looks of it) but they will be probably included at some point. Anyway, these videos and the web site are great as they are.

Better efficiency is great but it's always good to know what is the actual power output of a solar charger and that's one of the reasons these reviews are great. There a are plenty solar charger videos and reviews on the web but most of them are sponsored and none are as comprehensive as this one.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me this is the best source of practical, hands-on information regarding solar panels on the web. Plus it's great that the web site is being updated with new chargers every now and then. It would be great if there were also reviews of the latest chargers with more efficient panels such as the RavPower I mentioned earlier or the EasyAcc 15W charger (which is probably 10W max by the looks of it) but they will be probably included at some point. Anyway, these videos and the web site are great as they are.

Better efficiency is great but it's always good to know what is the actual power output of a solar charger and that's one of the reasons these reviews are great. There a are plenty solar charger videos and reviews on the web but most of them are sponsored and none are as comprehensive as this one.
I totally agree.

Solar panel reviews need to know the difference between marketing partial information and a more holistic understanding of all current information.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind is that the capacity as stated by the supplier is usually not the capacity one can get out the door, so to speak. The example I am most familiar with is the Anker 15w portable solar panel. Yes, the cells may have a maximum output of 15w, so one would expect 3A USB output, but by the time it goes through whatever circuitry to convert the panel voltage to USB output, the available power is 10.5w (2.1A total output between both jacks). I don't have any experience with the solar panel/charge combos but would expect the same type of thing happening. Chris, you may be better able to address that issue.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind is that the capacity as stated by the supplier is usually not the capacity one can get out the door, so to speak. The example I am most familiar with is the Anker 15w portable solar panel. Yes, the cells may have a maximum output of 15w, so one would expect 3A USB output, but by the time it goes through whatever circuitry to convert the panel voltage to USB output, the available power is 10.5w (2.1A total output between both jacks). I don't have any experience with the solar panel/charge combos but would expect the same type of thing happening. Chris, you may be better able to address that issue.

The guys above were talking about this guy's site and his solar panel reviews:

http://www.mjlorton.com/portable-folding-solar-panel-chargers-tested-the-results/

If you look at the specs that he measures, they're not all that close to rated numbers, but they are what they are and when you're without power, anything's better than nothing.

Remember, a lot of panels are manufacturer tested in labs and under ideal lighting conditions and not all light is the same, so we shouldn't expect perfection.

The two Ankers (14w/15w) hit about 50% of their stated output. Of all the ones tested, the Sunkingdom put out the most actual watts, (12+ watts,) but it's supposedly a 39w panel. The two Goal Zeros had the highest price per 'actual' watt, so none of them are perfect.

Much like fish tanks, buy the biggest one you can afford.

Chris

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guys above were talking about this guy's site and his solar panel reviews:

http://www.mjlorton.com/portable-folding-solar-panel-chargers-tested-the-results/

If you look at the specs that he measures, they're not all that close to rated numbers, but they are what they are and when you're without power, anything's better than nothing.

Remember, a lot of panels are manufacturer tested in labs and under ideal lighting conditions and not all light is the same, so we shouldn't expect perfection.

The two Ankers (14w/15w) hit about 50% of their stated output. Of all the ones tested, the Sunkingdom put out the most actual watts, (12+ watts,) but it's supposedly a 39w panel. The two Goal Zeros had the highest price per 'actual' watt, so none of them are perfect.

Much like fish tanks, buy the biggest one you can afford.

Chris
+1

The amount of energy an average automobile produces in the engine cylinder is reduced by as much as 80% and more by the time energy reaches the driving wheels and road.

The newer solar panels are becoming more efficient.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I've been very pleased with my sturdy, well-made 14-watt Suntactics charger with 2 ports-- it boasts generating the same power as an outlet and it reconnects after a cloud has passed which they call a retry feature so you don't have to unplug & plug your USB cord.

(They also sell 5 & 8-watt ones but only the 8&14 have dual ports.)

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
Anyone using any of the PowerFilm brand of solar chargers? Opinions? No mjlorton quality reviews found. Just a few poor to ok reviews and PowerFilm product YT videos. Made in the USA (Iowa), bit on the pricey side per lableled watt and larger in unfolded/unrolled size relative to most other panels of = labeled wattage. 15.4V output. Sized from 5watt(0.3A)to 120(7.2A)watt. Can be daisy chained together. Plug is a female car port charger. Their male car port to USB adapter output is labeled at 12V/1A, but description notes delivers 500mA of current (confused?). Using a Xtar VP2 and VC2 charger. VP2 12V/2.1A input, VC2 5V/1A input.

Have inquire out to PowerFilm support regarding their USB converter and use on hardware with the VP2 and VC2 specs.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone using any of the PowerFilm brand of solar chargers? Opinions? No mjlorton quality reviews found. Just a few poor to ok reviews and PowerFilm product YT videos. Made in the USA (Iowa), bit on the pricey side per lableled watt and larger in unfolded/unrolled size relative to most other panels of = labeled wattage. 15.4V output. Sized from 5watt(0.3A)to 120(7.2A)watt. Can be daisy chained together. Plug is a female car port charger. Their male car port to USB adapter output is labeled at 12V/1A, but description notes delivers 500mA of current (confused?). Using a Xtar VP2 and VC2 charger. VP2 12V/2.1A input, VC2 5V/1A input.

Have inquire out to PowerFilm support regarding their USB converter and use on hardware with the VP2 and VC2 specs.

PowerFilm was/is in that Big 4 category with Goal Zero, Brunton and Global Solar and for better, or worse, has/had a US DOD contract for their bigger folders.

I went a different route with two 30w, 12vdc, rigid, mono panels when I built my emergency, zombie apocalypse, SHTF, solar jobbie some 5 years back.

Here's a post I did on it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?342073-Portable-solar-charging-setup-I-just-built

The folding panels are nice, but the warranties are a lot less than rigids due to the thin wires between segments breaking, so 3 years, or closer to 2 years and that's it. The PF rollable chargers are nice, but a bit bulkier, if you're a backpacker.

I've since supplemented my 12vdc with a little 14w Sunkingdom 5vdc USB folder and that works decently enough in a pinch, with my various USB chargers.

Chris