Why Does Prometheus Lights Use The 219 "A" ?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there everyone -

for all this HCRI,...does Jason still use the Nichia 219A rosy pink LED in his lights considering that there's other newer Nichia LED's available?.
some prefer the Old School Nichia?, but theres newer, more efficient.

jason being the true grand master that he is, I'm certain there's something behind why he does in his great work.

Thank You.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a few theories. Keep in mind these are only theories.

1. Jason bought a big reel for Nichia 219A and has not used them up. He could switch when he finished his reel. Considering all.the massdrop and kickstarter runs, this may not be true.

2. There just isn't enough difference to justify the change. You might get a touch more output or runtime using 219B, but the amount is quite small. 219C would be a big change but they don't come in 90+ cri and the circuit may need to be reworked depending on the desired levels etc.

The 219A is often 4500K, the 219B is often found at 4750-5000K and, more recently, 4000K. I've compared them all. They do differ but it's only slight differences in tint and I still really like 219A.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few theories. Keep in mind these are only theories.

1. Jason bought a big reel for Nichia 219A and has not used them up. He could switch when he finished his reel. Considering all.the massdrop and kickstarter runs, this may not be true.

2. There just isn't enough difference to justify the change. You might get a touch more output or runtime using 219B, but the amount is quite small. 219C would be a big change but they don't come in 90+ cri and the circuit may need to be reworked depending on the desired levels etc.

The 219A is often 4500K, the 219B is often found at 4750-5000K and, more recently, 4000K. I've compared them all. They do differ but it's only slight differences in tint and I still really like 219A.

Number 2 is the more accurate reason. Choice CRI with the best tint. Here is Jasons explanation about the Nichia219 in an Alpha light. Click NC18-B link here Begin Qoute :

About the Nichia 219:
The Nichia 219 High CRI (Color Rendering Index) is specifically designed to deliver accurate color rendering to the human visual system. It is the most powerful High CRI LED on the market. On a scale of 1-100 it scores a 93+. The LED tint is neutral white and comes in a CCT (Correlated Color Temperature) of 4500K.

Unlike the more powerful cousins, the NC18-B uses a 1.4 Amp (vs. 2.8A) driver that provides double the run-time and can be operated indefinitely without concern for excessive heat build up.

This light is designed specifically for professional use.
The NC18-B is an ideal choice for people whose lives and/or jobs depend on superior color rendering accuracy. A few examples include outdoor chefs, fashion designers, interior designers, doctors, EMT's, photographers, wildlife biologists, film makers, aircraft mechanics, airline pilots, building inspectors, contractors, crime scene investigators, detectives, etc.

End Quote

GL

Last edited:

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Hello there everyone -

for all this HCRI,...does Jason still use the Nichia 219A rosy pink LED in his lights considering that there's other newer Nichia LED's available?.
some prefer the Old School Nichia?, but theres newer, more efficient.

jason being the true grand master that he is, I'm certain there's something behind why he does in his great work.

Thank You.
I think he uses "B" now. It's in the specification page. The link is broken but the led is "(NVSL219B R9050)(4500K)" The min r9 is at least 50. It's nice that he could get it. I'm having a hard time finding one.
http://www.darksucks.com/specifications.html

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased two Beta QR v2 lights within the past few months and both of them are using the N219B LEDs. Maybe it was just the v1 Betas that used the N219A LED.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Why Does Prometheus Lights Use The 219 "A" ?

Yeah I'm pretty sure he uses a 4000k 219B for the Beta v2 and a 4500k 219B for the Alpha custom.

Unsure about the past…