Review with Video: Thrunite TN40 Throw King, 1151meters, 4450Lumens and Fun Facts

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, super excited today, got my Thrunite TN40 in the mail and here we go, the first hands on review! I am not an expert with all those graphs and charts or numbers, but at least I can tell you what a normal guy can tell you - it's crazy!

The light is, of course, powerful, but that is not the main point. The first question I have in mind is - will it blend?

I blended the Thrunite TN36-UT and TN30 Mini's tube with their battery holders with the light and IT WORKED! Biggest mystery solved! It si not going super smooth, some hiccups in the transition of the modes and turning it off, but it worked, and if you have nothing around, at least have light is better than no light! So, our biggest mystery is solved, and what's next?

Throw power VS Nitecore TM16GT --> spoiler, haven't done the comparison in video yet, but already did it myself off-camera. It's for sure much more focused and beams further than the Nitecore TM16GT, so the claim from Thrunite IS legit. TK70 and other so called throwers are all now backing off and bowing to this new King in the hose. Uh oh.

With 4 bulbs, I never expect there can be such a crazy throw, but this light has outperformed my expectation. It's not THAT hot either, only a bit of warmth after my testing outside and playing around that "light saber" in the dark while people walking by. It's a joy to see how people look at you when you shine it down the road while there are still people... lol!

Video below!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. This light should nicely fill the gap between the T6 and the RC40 2016.

Larger diameter head = more throw.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. This light should nicely fill the gap between the T6 and the RC40 2016.

Larger diameter head = more throw.

somehow it look very alike with the nitecore TM16GT side by side, like they are meant to be put together lol! I kinda like the large head. I know people don't like the battery pack, but to me, it's okay. There are battery packs that can be purchased if one got damaged (from what I heard) and just like my nitecore TM series, the long bp52 and such is indeed a nice add on. I only wish they can make the board accept the 3.7v battery holder from the TN36 and TN36UT safely, so maybe something like auto-detect your battery and adjust the light's output. I am sure we don't mind a lower output but have an option of going 18650 and back to the normal batts if needed (safely).

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
beamshot comparison, fun to see a flood vs throw here..!

Last edited:

ProCharger

Enlightened
Awesome review. This light was a no go for me initially due to needing a battery pack but I do have a TN36UTvn....so hmmm. If Vinh can get his hands on one of these and confirm it will work I am all in! Glad you were experimenting :thumbsup:

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
Battery tube of TN36 is 4s (10.5 - 17.5 volts), TN40 is 2s/2p (5 - 9 volts).
So if you won't kill your TN40 at least you shouldn't use the TN36 battery tube.
This is why the TN40 flickers while switching off when he tested the wrong battery.

But perhaps he can look what's inside the battery pack. I guess changing/desoldering the 4 cells shouldn't be a problem when it is neccessary in 5-10 Years.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
not sure why the tn40 is actually using less voltage but more powerful output somehow? anyone can explain the science behind for me? Anyway, I have already put a warning on the video with annotation to warn people not to use the other battery tube, so that is at least dealt with. whew!

TK70 comparison today, lol! Big light king in the past is now history

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hey guys, super excited today, got my Thrunite TN40 in the mail and here we go, the first hands on review! I am not an expert with all those graphs and charts or numbers, but at least I can tell you what a normal guy can tell you - it's crazy!

The light is, of course, powerful, but that is not the main point. The first question I have in mind is - will it blend?

I blended the Thrunite TN36-UT and TN30 Mini's tube with their battery holders with the light and IT WORKED! Biggest mystery solved! It si not going super smooth, some hiccups in the transition of the modes and turning it off, but it worked, and if you have nothing around, at least have light is better than no light! So, our biggest mystery is solved, and what's next?

Throw power VS Nitecore TM16GT --> spoiler, haven't done the comparison in video yet, but already did it myself off-camera. It's for sure much more focused and beams further than the Nitecore TM16GT, so the claim from Thrunite IS legit. TK70 and other so called throwers are all now backing off and bowing to this new King in the hose. Uh oh.

With 4 bulbs, I never expect there can be such a crazy throw, but this light has outperformed my expectation. It's not THAT hot either, only a bit of warmth after my testing outside and playing around that "light saber" in the dark while people walking by. It's a joy to see how people look at you when you shine it down the road while there are still people... lol!

Video below!

Hi CYMac,

1 I know you from youtube, with your flashlight comparisons...testing, in Honk Kong....do you live now in Canada?

Very nice video,s you make.

2 This must be a real beast, that Thrunite TN40.........does it outThrow...reach much farther, than the TK70, from Fenix?

3 I think, so much blinding power, is a bit dangerous, when shining around, in the city, isn't it?

I want the light so much, i can only use it, where there are not much people?

But all in all, you make nice flashlight comparisons.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Hi CYMac,

1 I know you from youtube, with your flashlight comparisons...testing, in Honk Kong....do you live now in Canada?

Very nice video,s you make.

2 This must be a real beast, that Thrunite TN40.........does it outThrow...reach much farther, than the TK70, from Fenix?

3 I think, so much blinding power, is a bit dangerous, when shining around, in the city, isn't it?

I want the light so much, i can only use it, where there are not much people?

But all in all, you make nice flashlight comparisons.

First of all, thanks for the message and support, but I never did any video in hong kong at all. I am always in Toronto. The whole channel all feature videos done in Toronto, Canada.

The light is very blinding, but I don't think I am gonna do anything dangerous - not shining at the airplanes or cars (drivers) then we are all good and happy. Mostly just shine around places with no one around, then it's pretty good enough. But there is no law that restrict us from using flashlights though. I think as long as you use common sense while using your light, you are all good. I mean, you don't just bring it out during your supermarket time and then shine around for fun right? LOL

ProCharger

Enlightened
not sure why the tn40 is actually using less voltage but more powerful output somehow? anyone can explain the science behind for me? Anyway, I have already put a warning on the video with annotation to warn people not to use the other battery tube, so that is at least dealt with. whew!

TK70 comparison today, lol! Big light king in the past is now history

The light is drawing more current (amps) to power the led's.

Take a 120 volt circuit for instance. A 120 volt circuit with a 30 amp feed creates the same power potential as a 240 volt circuit with a 15 amp feed. Both provide 3600 watts of power.

Basically the LED's are still being fed similar wattage by adjusting the amperage.

Watts = volts * amps

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review CYMac. You bring a lot of energy to your reviews!

This TN40 looks like the new throw king of factory multi reflector lights. Very impressive.

By the way, I have never heard the tailcap referred to as a "butt" before! Love your work. :D

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review CYMac. You bring a lot of energy to your reviews!

This TN40 looks like the new throw king of factory multi reflector lights. Very impressive.

By the way, I have never heard the tailcap referred to as a "butt" before! Love your work. :D

hahah thanks, I really just use any words that comes to me sometimes, lol! Butt is at least more scholastic than "@ss" tho. :shrug:

vid of da day... throw king vs flood king, lol!

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
The light is drawing more current (amps) to power the led's.

Take a 120 volt circuit for instance. A 120 volt circuit with a 30 amp feed creates the same power potential as a 240 volt circuit with a 15 amp feed. Both provide 3600 watts of power.

Basically the LED's are still being fed similar wattage by adjusting the amperage.

Watts = volts * amps

thanks for the science lesson! :) No need for more voltage but my brain is already heated up from reading it, time to get myself some cooling fins just in case my head explode more. LOL! To be honest, to me, electricity math is hard, not only that I am bad with this in school but it just fries the brain. Then funny thing is, when I start teaching my disciples the chinese magic stuff with intense theory, people get the same kinda "brain frying" feeling with head heated up, lol! I wonder how many voltage our brain can create afterall..! :thumbsup:

Altema22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the video, looks like an awesome light. For my personal use, I tend to dislike lights with s small intense hotspot, but I can see where this would come in handy! I wonder if that girl thought she was going to get beamed up, lol.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the video, looks like an awesome light. For my personal use, I tend to dislike lights with s small intense hotspot, but I can see where this would come in handy! I wonder if that girl thought she was going to get beamed up, lol.

hahahahaha it's hard to spot girls at night, that is why we need a Thrunite TN40, good enough reason for most guys here to buy one, LOL

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome review man! Seen your stuff on YT good stuff. I wonder why they did not include a manual? Is that not kind of dangerous when dealing with a light that powerful? The light does not seem "huge" to me at all. My ET MX25L2 Turbo Head now that is huge. The TN40 seems roughly the same size as a TK75. Man that TN40 is incredibly powerful! Your camera really couldnt handle it inside very well. I am sure the tint in person is a touch warmer more XML2 U2 like which is a good thing. I love TN's awesome one switch control. Super easy well built and reliable. No OLED display screens etc. I like it a lot. What I do not like is being stuck with a proprietary battery pack. Guess I will go look it up but I much rather prefer being able to take the cells out and charge them on a good stand alone charger.

Would love to have the light but where I live there is really nowhere to use it. My Javelots etc already throw farther than I can even see. Great to see TN step it up and basically eat Fenix and NC's lunch with this light.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
awesome review man! Seen your stuff on YT good stuff. I wonder why they did not include a manual? Is that not kind of dangerous when dealing with a light that powerful? The light does not seem "huge" to me at all. My ET MX25L2 Turbo Head now that is huge. The TN40 seems roughly the same size as a TK75. Man that TN40 is incredibly powerful! Your camera really couldnt handle it inside very well. I am sure the tint in person is a touch warmer more XML2 U2 like which is a good thing. I love TN's awesome one switch control. Super easy well built and reliable. No OLED display screens etc. I like it a lot. What I do not like is being stuck with a proprietary battery pack. Guess I will go look it up but I much rather prefer being able to take the cells out and charge them on a good stand alone charger.

Would love to have the light but where I live there is really nowhere to use it. My Javelots etc already throw farther than I can even see. Great to see TN step it up and basically eat Fenix and NC's lunch with this light.

Thanks man, glad you liked the review! It's not included with a manual because I got their tester batch, directly from the factory in China, lol! That is why, it's not a box they will sell to the retailers! The one people will buy will have manual for sure.

I was also told that the battery pack is also better because it takes you less time to charge up the batteries instead of spending hours charging it back to full. IMO, it is okay, just look at the SR90 from olight, it's so annoying with the battery pack, but the throw power and such made me get the light anyway, pretty much give and take I guess. Now I only wish they come up with a battery pack that is 2x or 3x the length and then you can convert this TN40 into a light with like 2-3x the runtime, now that is cool. The nitecore BP52 and such battery pack made the runtime longer, and I do like that feature and give me extra runtime when I really need the powerful light!

You are right though, the light is not big at all. Compare to a lot of similar lights, it's definitely not big at all. The light is warmer in person, more white to almost neutral white. I will do a reality beam shot test soon with correct correction and stuff done. Stay tune!

Latest posts