Review: Manker E11: EDC-light, XP-L, 800 lumens, AA/14500; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
A review on a AA-light this time: the Manker E11 arrived. This compact torch, that is suited for everyday-carry, can bring up to 800 lumens, that is really impressive of a light of this proportions. In this review I'll show you the details of this tiny Manker; and we will see too how the E11 performs in the dark, also compared to an equal light. Let's kick off!

the Manker E11
2py3vio.jpg

a compact EDC-light
286qx6h.jpg

powered by a XP-L LED
10eq7fr.jpg

tiny but powerful!
2199uky.jpg

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by Mankerlight:

• Emitter: Cree XP-L(CW and NW for your choices)
• Max output: 400lumens (Eneloop Pro Ni-Mh battery)
• 800lumens (with 14500 Lithium battery)
• Circuit: Most efficiency constant current circuit,
• Maximum runtime up to 266 hours
• Material: Aircraft-grade aluminum body
• Surface treatment: Premium Type III
• Hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Clip: Titanium coated stainless steel clip.
• Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Tail stand
• Water proof: IPX-8 (2 meters under water)
• Impact resistance: 2 meters

The dimensions:

• Length: 82mm
• Diameter: 20mm
• Weight: 39grams (without battery)

And the output specs:

b6pqo5.jpg

Unboxing:

The E11 is delivered in a compact, light brown carton. Around the simple carton is a wrap with a print that shows the brand, the number and the light. That's all, no specifications mentioned at the box. But it is enough to (re)store the light. Inside protecting-foam with some cut-outs that protect the E11. Only (besides the light) a lanyard, a manual and two spare 0-rings found in this carton. So, not a very special or complete package here, but it feel sturdy and looks neatly. Some pictures below show the little box and the contents!

a compact box for the E11
6tcqh4.jpg

the wrap shows little information
104p0g3.jpg

a look inside the box
rm4tvk.jpg

inside: Manker E11, lanyard, manual, clip and spare o-rings
2r5dzch.jpg

Impressions:

First impression here: this is a lightweight!! It is known that Manker produces compact lights, but this is one of the most compact AA-powered torch I've had my hands on. The E11 has its own looks and style: a nice detail is for example the power button. Although the E11 is a lightweight, the overall build-quality is good. The color is matte black, the anodizing and the laser engraving is well done. The light stands stable so can be used as a candle. The E11 comes with a long clip that has about two-thirds the length of the light: so it's a hard job to lose it! The lanyard-hole is placed at the right way: if added, the E11 can even tail-stand without problems. Looking through the clean glass-lens we see an orange-peel reflector and the typical XP-L LED with its smooth roundings. The LED at my sample wasn't perfectly centered. When we take off the head or the cap the threads run smooth and without scratching, but they need grease to ensure a long life. You have to do it yourself. Inside the tube and the cap it looks all ok. So, except some details at the finishing, we can say the E11 feels like a well-machined and good-quality light. Please scroll down for a bunch of impression and detail pictures of the E11!

the Manker E11
1z31f6b.jpg

one the most compact lights in its class
rgxwxw.jpg

a lightweight torch…
2m76rkw.jpg

that has its own style and looks
z1eud.jpg

the lanyard-hole is placed the right way
aphbgk.jpg

an orange-peel reflector to give the E11 a nice beam
e6t35s.jpg

easy to find button with stiff structure
19192p.jpg

the long clip can be added at two ways
2lihqfd.jpg

a close-up to the texture
68d6qa.jpg

anodizing and laser-engraving is well-done
20746s8.jpg

the XP-L LED is off-center
2zftq89.jpg

a look inside the head
2j13k01.jpg

the E11 in three parts and a look into the cap
28iakhz.jpg

a rather big lanyard, or a tiny light??
10hu4jd.jpg

you can't lose it this way
nvtvo6.jpg

the XP-L LED has smooth roundings
140kpw3.jpg

a lot of battery options, but protected 14500's don't fit
af7pd3.jpg

a powerful light for its size
14tvjnq.jpg

that has a good anti-rolling design
2dqv6zp.jpg

and nice details
jqguab.jpg

the XP-L LED
347wgso.jpg

the E11 clipped-on
2vl0h13.jpg

User interface:

As seen earlier in this review, the E11 is really a tiny light, so it can be hidden in the palm of your hand. The light has good grip, thanks to the texture, but personally, the light fits best in your hand with the clip added-on. The button is easy to find (thanks to the raised edges around) and the button has stiff structure. Still I wish all lights would come with illuminated or glow-in-the-dark buttons that would help you to locate the power-buttons better.

The E11 can run on different cells: A(rechargeable) AA-battery or an unprotected 14500; to get the highest output Manker recommended me to use an IMR-cell. Mind that protected 14500's won't fit because of the length. I wish Manker had made the E11 little longer, so protected 14500's would fit.

Turning-on the E11 can be done at three ways: A short click, a longer press and a quick double-click. By a short click the light will always start at lowest (moonlight) mode; a long press will start the light at last used mode and two quick clicks will bring direct strobe. Personally, I like this interface! For me, it's a good point that you can start always at moonlight, but also, if needed, at last used mode. If turned on, a short click/press will guide you through the modes. A quick double-click at any normal mode will enter direct strobe. Press long to shut the light off. The interface works without defects and problems; so we can conclude that Manker has done a good job on the interface of the E11!

Modes:

The E11 has in total four normal modes, in order off: MOONLIGHT > LOW > MEDIUM > HIGH. You can only cycle up. For an EDC-light like this is, I miss an extra mode between MOONLIGHT and LOW. Would like to see an extra step that has about 15-25 lumens here. No direct normal modes found on the E11, except that the light (by using a short click) always starts at MOONLIGHT. In total three special modes at the E11: STROBE > SOS > BEACON. No memory for the special, the E11 will always start at STROBE. This is also the only direct special mode. Mind that the E11 has no special LOCK-OUT mode, but you can LOCK-OUT the light by releasing the tailcap or the lights' head a little.

Size comparison:

To show the compact size of the E11, a side-by-side here to another light that is powered by the same battery and that has equal output: the Nitecore EA11. Both lights can run on IMR 14500.

IMR14500, Eneloop AA, Manker E11 and Nitecore EA11
2rxvh1w.jpg

Manker E11 and Nitecore EA11
2mwbi4k.jpg

1194i9w.jpg

the heads: XP-L and XM-L2 (U2)
dvg94w.jpg

the tails:
2zyx5at.jpg

Tint:

Although this is the CW-version of the E11 (Manker will produce a NW-version too) this E11 has a good tint. At earlier lights I saw often bluish tint, the E11 hasn't. The picture shows the E11 compared to the XM-L2 U2 emitter of the Nitecore EA11.

2yvrpeg.jpg

Beamprofile:

The combination of the rather shallow reflector that has a textured profile offers the E11 a "mixed" beamprofile. A big hotspot and corona and medium spill. We can't name the E11 a real flooder, but because of the wide angle and this profile the E11 can be used at best at shorter distance. The beam is free of defects and rings, and I didn't detect PWM. Good job of Manker here!

Beamshots:

As usual, we'll have a look at the lights' beam projected at a white wall. The pictures show the four output modes of the light, followed by a GIF. I used an IMR14500 cell here, so the E11 has more output at all modes; outdoors I'll show you the difference in output between an AA-battery and an IMR-cell. Distance to the wall about 1 meter.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
28arynt.jpg

rc58ye.jpg

9qhbu8.jpg

2h4c2n7.jpg

GIF-picture:
121wvtg.jpg

And now, some outdoor shots! I start here by showing the four normal output modes using an IMR14500, so this is the maximum output that E11 can give.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
2nbd5hx.jpg

2vacqd4.jpg

2wrm91w.jpg

2gwuh6h.jpg

And now, the difference between the output when using an AA or an IMR cell; only GIF-pictures here:

179zib.jpg

19p5i0.jpg

zv54q9.jpg

118qa8m.jpg

A shoot out against another EDC that can run at the same cells. Mind that the Nitecore EA11 has a larger head and deeper reflector. But light run at the same IMR14500-cell.

Manker E11 versus the Nitecore EA11
jb1ptt.jpg

Conclusion:

The Manker E11 is one the most powerful EDC-lights I've seen before. The (build) quality is good, the finishing too, but a pity that the LED is off-center. Also the user interface is one of the things I like about the E11, but Manker should add a lock-out mode. The E11 is a light that is suited for shorter distance, because of the wide beam. The tint is good. I would like to see a voltage indicator at this light: An EDC-light that hasn't a lock-out (via the button) gives the risk of accidentally-on in your pocket. In combination with an unprotected IMR-cell not ideal in my opinion. An extra mode between moonlight and low is necessary. About the good output: To be honest, a light of these proportions isn't suited for long use at highest mode, so I'll recommend strongly to use this (nice) mode for short time. So use this for a quick-check or to impress your friends..

My overall impression of this tiny Manker is a good one: the E11 is worth its money!

Thanks to Mankerlight for the proper shipping!

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
why does the light need a tail cap ?

the klarus Mi7 does not need a tail cap either.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good review kj75, thanks.I am impressed with Manker's feel and look in general, and this light in particular. 800 lumens out of a 14500 would be astounding. I wonder how close they get. :)

cyclesport

Enlightened
Mine came in the mail today, and I have to say, I like it a lot! Zebralights are my most carried lights, so the UI on the E11 took a little time to get used to, but with the long press for "off", I can use the memory function to turn the light off in turbo, thus allowing me to access low or turbo from off...as with a ZL. Mine is the neutral tint coming in at approx. a cool 5000/5500k and the actual size is remarkably small (although 2mm longer than a ZL SC52, it seems much smalle due to the 19mm width throughout it's length)...and carries smaller than the SC52! I doubt the 800 lumen claim with 14500 IMR's as it seems much closer to 600/650 lumens to me when comparing to known lights, however still very bright using IMR's or Eneloops.

Very good build quality too (although my emitter is somewhat off center as well but doesn't affect beam profile). May have to buy another! PS: Although a little cooler than I typically like in terms of tint, at least no greenish tint!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reviewer measured approx 435 mins of runtime for the 60 lumen mode, nowhere near the 660 mins advertised.
Nonetheless, seems to be a great low priced alternative to ZL AA lights.
Pot your electronics, provide better tint, stop embellishing your runtimes, design better clips, keep your prices at no more than 80% that of ZL lights in the same class, and I'll have no reason to even consider ZL anymore.

markr6

Flashaholic
The UI is the killer for me. Yes you can start on moon or last used mode, but I don't keep track of that. So if you want to cycle thru the modes quickly, YOU CAN'T. The stupid strobe kicks in thinking you did a double click. Almost perfect. I'm only out $29, so I'll upgrade the cheap light in my current Maxpedition emergency pouch with this. It will be lucky to get used once a year.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Another reviewer measured approx 435 mins of runtime for the 60 lumen mode, nowhere near the 660 mins advertised.
Pot your electronics, provide better tint, stop embellishing your runtimes, design better clips, keep your prices at no more than 80% that of ZL lights in the same class, and I'll have no reason to even consider ZL anymore.

Good points all! ...and wouldn't argue with any you make...and frankly after only one afternoon of using mine it's possible I might be less enthused in a month or so. mark6 makes a good point re the strobe activating during fast cycling, so yeah there's that, and I too believe that ZL is the gold std. of electronic side-switch lights at present, (the UI is virtually perfect IMO, and build qual. is superb) but I feel this is a pretty good first effort from Manker for a very small 1 X AA EDC light. It is almost as small as most 1 X AA twisties! And "small" is almost at the top of my wish list these days...right next to UI and tint.

Manker

Newly Enlightened

really? could you please show the review,we will have a check, we didn't embellish the runtime.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
we asserted as follow:

• Eneloop PRO: Moonlight 2lm 171hrs, Low 60lm 11hrs, Medium 200lm 2.2hrs, High 400lm 1.2hrs, Strobe 400lm, SOS 200 lm, Beacon 50lm

I don't think Budda used
Eneloop PRO to test the reuntime, maybe budda can tell about it.

Budda used Eneloop XX as noted in his review. As far as I know, Eneloop Pro and Eneloop XX are nearly if not identical. Differences between the 2, if there are any, are unlikely to account for the 225 minute difference in tested runtime and advertised runtime.

Budda

Enlightened

I have looked again at the file for the E11
Take a look to this runtime graph, the one I got initially with the old AA nimh duracell staycharged.

There is a relevant difference in the runtime between the runtimes at turbo and high, using a Eneloop PRO (not XX, not XXL, but PRO, I just checked the label of the battery).
But not for medium. I have not re-used the data because they are different.
I can't recall any significant variation in the test. Maybe I used again an old battery.

No problem running medium again: just turn the light on, start the timer and see every hour how the output is going.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, budda.

Well, there you have it, Manker. Budda used an eneloop pro.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure Manker will make the next version of this light awesome. I am willing to pay $40 for an improved version. While you are at it, make an AAA version too.

markr6

Flashaholic
I am sure Manker will make the next version of this light awesome. I am willing to pay $40 for an improved version. While you are at it, make an AAA version too.

I really hope so. I always find one thing to complain about, but other than the UI, I really can't. I'll give them a pass on my green NW emitter since I've seen it from everyone else at some point too.

Get rid of that stupid strobe and I'll buy a cool white next time.

Ladd

Enlightened
Excellent review on a fine light. Great pictures and beamshots. Manker seems to be worth watching as a relatively new player.

Budda

Enlightened
Thanks, budda.
Well, there you have it, Manker. Budda used an eneloop pro.

And since you noticed the "shorter runtime" similar to the old graphic (despite the bigger capacity of the cell) I'm running the runtime at medum as we speak.
This time I'm sure I have a Eneloop Pro inside the light, and still hot from the charging process.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
And since you noticed the "shorter runtime" similar to the old graphic (despite the bigger capacity of the cell) I'm running the runtime at medum as we speak.
This time I'm sure I have a Eneloop Pro inside the light, and still hot from the charging process.

Thanks again for your time and efforts, Budda.

Budda

Enlightened
Testing done.
This time I have recorded the full runtime as I usual do with a luxmeter, but knowing (from previous tests) that the output is regulated for this level, I turned the light on and every hour or so turned on the luxmeter and measured the output.
HH:MM - AU
00:00 - 99,8
00:56 - 100,7
02:59 - 100,6
04:36 - 100,7
05:50 - 100,8
06:00 - 100,5 (and I turned the light off, went to sleep).
06:01 - 102,5 (the next morning I turned the light on)
07:06 - 101,1
07:33 - 0

The light did turn off, and I couldn't turn it back on with the empty battery. I measured the voltage of the Eneloop PRO, it was 1.05 V.
I don't belive a few hours of break somehow influenced the battery.
This results (runtime estimated between 426 and 453 minutes) are comparable to the one I got before with the Eneloop PRO.
Still, I have to explain to myself How I got shorter runtimes with a bigger battery.

Last edited:

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info!

why does the light need a tail cap ?

the klarus Mi7 does not need a tail cap either.

Hopefully it's to allow for the installation of a magnet? Another potential option is, if the head and tail are threaded identically, the body could be reversed, allowing head-up carry or use as an impromptu headlamp on a ball cap?

Is the body reversible?

Constant current, so I assume no PWM?

Personally, I'm disappointed that the low mode with 14500 is as high as it is. I'm considering this vs. the Klarus Mi7. I like the extra non-blinky mode in the Manker and the pocket clip, but I also like the battery check, electronic lockout and modes of the Klarus better, although I wish they had left out SOS in favor of another level. Also like that the non-high modes on the Klarus are consistent regardless of battery type.

lol Probably have to get both now.

Mahalo!