Review Thorfire C8s: Thrower, XM-L2, 900 lumens, 1x18650; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Another Thorfire just came in: the C8s. This light isn't brand-new, but Thorfire has redesigned and updated the LED of this popular and cheap pocket thrower. Also the overall and build-quality should have been improved. In this review I'll show you the details and the output of the C8s, also compared to some equal lights. Let's have a look and see if this Thorfire is worth its money!

the Thorfire C8s
23m4r3s.jpg

a pocket-sized thrower
2wp09eh.jpg

powered by a XM-L2 LED
mj4yld.jpg

a budget light
2d8hobp.jpg

that has good performance
2dtn4h5.jpg

and good throw
153tdf7.jpg

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by Thorfire:

• Uses Cree XM-L2 LED with a lifespan of 20 years.
• Uses one 18650 3.7v battery or two CR123A batteries ( 18650 battery Included).
• Tail tap switch for on/off and output selection.
• Made of Aircraft-grade Aluminum.
• High-efficiency reflection lens.
• Max 900 Lumens output.

The dimensions:

• Length: approx. 143mm
• Head diameter: 44.5mm
• Body diameter: 25.4mm
• Weight: 145grams (without battery)

And the output specs:

• Moonlight: 0,5 lumens
• Low: 30 lumens
• Mid: 280 lumens
• High: 900 lumens

Unboxing:

For this price, you can't expect an exclusive box here. The C8s comes in a simple carton, that is sturdy enough to protect the light during transport / shipping. Not a lot of accessories inside: Only the parts that are necessary. No nothing special here, but the light came in without defects of damage. Have a look at the pictures below that show the carton and the contents!

a simple light-brown carton
ziulpf.jpg

with little information on the sticker
30rtm5t.jpg

inside: Thorfire C8s, manual, lanyard and spare o-rings
2djuvpz.jpg

Impressions:

Like I mentioned earlier in several reviews, a Thorfire feels real good for its price! The C8s is a medium-sized flashlight, that has a "classic" design that I (personally) like. It has a rather thick tube, feels little heavy and is built well. Checking the lights' exterior there's nothing to complain about the anodizing and finishing job. The overall build-quality is (again) well-done: Sturdy materials used, no sharp parts, and I couldn't find any chips or defects at the anodization either. Also the laser-engraving is clear and well-done.The relatively big head has deep fins that prevent against overheating. Moreover, this bigger head (in combination with the texture at the body) will ensure good grip. Tail standing is possible and stable. Thanks to the notches in the lights' head, the C8s has a very good anti-rolling design. At the tail a double lanyard-hole, that is a good point. The button/clicky has (to) soft feels. The lens is clean, but a coating is missing. I detected some chips at the edge of the reflector, for the rest its clean and dust-free. The XM-L2 LED is well-centered. The threads (that run smoothly) were not lubed at my light, please mind to do it yourself. . Inside the head I saw some solder-rests; it is finished sufficiently here, but not perfect. The tube is clean and into the cap it looks ok.

So, summarizing, we have nothing to complain about the machining and finishing of the C8s; only some things at the finishing could be improved. Scroll down to see my pictures that show the details of the light!

the C8s has classic looks
1htnk5.jpg

and nice, balanced proportions
2lo5h8z.jpg

a big head relative to the body
24ou9mb.jpg

a smooth and deep reflector
2numz6g.jpg

stable standing
29kyzqr.jpg

also tailstanding is no problem
o5ztqc.jpg

easy to handle with
rw6hbc.jpg

excellent anti rolling design thanks to the notches
ohl352.jpg

no coating at the lens
ra2j4z.jpg

the body-texture doesn't provide that much grip
w9i894.jpg

well done: double lanyard holes
kbdq0y.jpg

excellent engraving-job
n5rayh.jpg

anodizing well-done
260re53.jpg

deep fins to prevent against overheating
rclaia.jpg

two battery-options: 2 x CR123A or one 18650
wcefpz.jpg

the xm-l2 LED is well-centered
x6d6p.jpg

a look inside the head: a sturdy spring, but sharp edges and some solder-rests
10zy8ls.jpg

the threads are well-machined; little glue rests in the cap
ixs09f.jpg

the C8s in three parts
2pzhdmf.jpg

the lanyard added-on
i57iaw.jpg

overall build-quality is good
2nasd9y.jpg

and the well-centered LED is needed for a thrower like this one is
2hefr4y.jpg

value for money
25i85ya.jpg

User interface:

Often (compact) throwers are easy to handle with because they have big heads a rather small tubes. Also the C8s fits well in the hand and thanks to the big head it won't slip out of it. The body texture is "fine-grained" and will not help that much to have better grip. The "soft-feeling" button is easy to locate, even in complete darkness.

The C8s has one button for all. About the interface of the C8s: I don't like it. Main issue for that is the lack of momentary on. For on/off there always a full click needed. So, please add this in future.

When turning on, tap the button to cycle through the four normal modes. This works fine. The C8s has mode memory, but only if the mode is used longer than 3 seconds. If you turn on-off-on within three seconds, the light will start at next mode in which you turned off. A bit strange… To enter strobe-mode, you have to tap twice quickly. This needs a lot of exercise, and I failed regularly. This isn't ideal when you're in a stressful situation.

All-in-all, technical the interface works fine and without problems, but it's not my favorite. I would recommend Thorfire to edit the interface.

Modes:

The C8s has in total four normal modes and one special. The four are: MOONLIGHT > LOW > MED > HIGH. The spacing is good for a thrower-light like this. No instant normal-modes found at the C8s.

The special mode is STROBE, that has one frequency. Neither instant-STROBE at the C8s. No voltage indication or low-power warning at this light. To LOCK-OUT the C8s, release the tailcap a little.

Size comparison:

The C8s shown here together with its brother VG10 and another compact thrower, the Nitecore EC4, that has about the same dimensions and equal throw.

18650-cell, Thorfire VG10, Thorfire C8S and Nitecore EC4
iyh45u.jpg

Thorfire VG10, Thorfire C8S and Nitecore EC4
35lhwqr.jpg

xpaecm.jpg

the heads: XM-L2 and XM-L2(U2) at right side
zwwyh2.jpg

the tails:
2j0ku4z.jpg

Tint:

The C8s has the coldest tint here: Shown together with the VG10 and the Nitecore EC4 you see a really cool tint with some blue in the spill. The Thorfire VG10 has a more neutral tint, the Nitecore EC4 looks greenish. All lights are in about equal output mode, this shows also the beamprofiles; the C8s will "throw-out" the VG10-brother easily.

htsay9.jpg

Beamprofile:

The C8s is designed for throw, and that is what you can see at the beam. The smooth and deep reflector creates a big and bright spot, almost no corona and big, equal spill. This makes the C8s a mid-range searchlight that can be used best in the range of 100-150 meters. At shorter distance (indoors), I discovered some rings around the beam. For the rest, a beam without defects; no PWM detected at any mode.

Beamshots:

Showing the beamprofile and the four output-modes of the C8s here; the distance to the wall is about 1 meter.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
z885.jpg

2qnw66w.jpg

10f106o.jpg

30u5njq.jpg

GIF-picture:
2utj8mr.jpg

Going outdoor with the C8s. First shown here the four output modes. The lowest mode is barely noticeable at the picture; there's a rather big jump between the low and med mode.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
2wcfqt1.jpg

54d5z8.jpg

55jf7.jpg

3132m40.jpg

GIF-picture:
2dwhu0n.jpg

A shoot-out against the VG10-brother; nice to see here that a larger and deeper reflector gives so different beam while using the same LED.

Thorfire VG10 against the Thorfire C8s
30shje8.jpg

A comparison against the Nitecore EC4, that has better output because it uses two 18650's. The C8s does a good job at throw here.

Thorfire C8s against the Nitecore EC4
2142vdj.jpg

Conclusion:

At the end of this review I can tell you this light is a really good pick in its class. The overall quality and finishing is good, is easy to handle with and fits nicely in the hand and has good throw too. What I don't like is the interface: I would like to see momentary-on and some instant modes.

What I'm most curious to: How would this light perform using a XP-L HI LED? So, I'll ask Thorfire: Don't let wait us to long…

Thanks to Thorfire for the proper shipping!

Last edited:

yellowdogyellowsnow

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. Posting my experience for anyone who comes across your review. I ordered 2 of these after I dropped my rigid halo 800 into a huge tank of oil. Figured for $20 couldnt go wrong. One light has been rock solid steady since new, the other failed after 1 charge on the battery. I tried a handful of other batteries and couldnt make the light power on with any of them. I contacted the seller on Amazon. They replied in an hour (with terrible english, but great response time). I sent them a link to my collection of lights and told them about the number of batteries I tried. They immediately shipped me another one without question. It should be here any day now. Hopefully the other one I bought with the now failed light lasts longer, but +1 for the quick courteous customer service with the warranty claim.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. Posting my experience for anyone who comes across your review. I ordered 2 of these after I dropped my rigid halo 800 into a huge tank of oil. Figured for $20 couldnt go wrong. One light has been rock solid steady since new, the other failed after 1 charge on the battery. I tried a handful of other batteries and couldnt make the light power on with any of them. I contacted the seller on Amazon. They replied in an hour (with terrible english, but great response time). I sent them a link to my collection of lights and told them about the number of batteries I tried. They immediately shipped me another one without question. It should be here any day now. Hopefully the other one I bought with the now failed light lasts longer, but +1 for the quick courteous customer service with the warranty claim.

I have used 2x ThorFire C8S for more than one year. I put them through a lot while they served as the headlights on my mountainbike. Here is a little video review:

I like that they dissipate the heat well and are a 100% water resistant.