What's wrong with my 18650?

Faceman696

Newly Enlightened
About a week ago, I ordered a Panasonic NCR18650B (flat-top, unprotected) from IMRbatteries.com
After receiving it yesterday (I do not know how long it sat in the mailbox, but it was not hot when I removed it), I charged it using my Xtar VC4 (initially it registered 3.8v, and it topped off after 1500mAh, if that means anything). I waited about 20 minutes after charging before using it inside my Thrunite TN12 (newest version, XPL-NW)
After only one night and barely any use, I opened it up to find my battery looking like this:

(Sorry, these images are really large)

IMG_6068_zpsagovf2ex.jpg
IMG_6062_zpsi8oksbp5.jpg
IMG_6061_zpsjs7fppkl.jpg

IMG_6069_zpsswoaz5hm.jpg

The positive pole of the battery appears corrupted/burned, there is a tiny amount of liquid substance leaking from from it (it seems to have gotten beneath the wrap as well), and it is emitting an odor.

Does anybody know how this could have happened? I have barely used this battery at all, and I made sure to take care of it while I wasn't using it. It seems likely a totally genuine Japanese-made cell. I believe that this battery cannot be returned, and I want to make sure that this does not happened again.

(Also, this is my first topic, so I am sorry if I did anything wrong)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try not to smell that! I'd leave it outside somewhere until someone more knowledgeable can help you out! But i think the fumes are bad for you.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The positive pole of the battery appears corrupted/burned, there is a tiny amount of liquid substance leaking from from it (it seems to have gotten beneath the wrap as well), and it is emitting an odor.

Does anybody know how this could have happened? I have barely used this battery at all, and I made sure to take care of it while I wasn't using it. It seems likely a totally genuine Japanese-made cell. I believe that this battery cannot be returned, and I want to make sure that this does not happened again.
I'm not a battery expert, but it looks like the PTC switch opened and vented. Consider the battery history. You should verify a couple of things to see if they could have caused it........otherwise consider it a defective battery to begin with.
1) Do you know what the voltage was at the battery after it got done charging?
2) Monitor the voltage on your charger to see that its not over charging.
3) Could there have been a short in your flashlight that caused excessive current discharge? Does your TN12 still work with a different battery?

If those things check out and you can charge other batteries and operate them without problems in your TN12, then you probably got a defective battery. In reliability theory, there is the bathtub curve.....failures are most likely when new and then at the end of life. Just a thought. :)

Faceman696

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies :)

When the batteries are full, the charger reads 4.2 volts. I can't measure the voltage on my charger, but it has seemed to work perfectly fine on my other cells (two Olight 2600mAh and two UltraCrapFire batteries, both with protection circuits). My TN12 has not had any problems either, but I guess it's possibly due to the protection circuits on the batteries (though it has not had any problems with the UltraFires)

I also made sure to minimize contact with the battery as much as possible - it is currently sealed in a plastic bag sitting outside in an empty flowerpot ;)

Faceman696

Newly Enlightened
I'm not aware of any voltage switch on the VC4 :confused:

I do know that the VC4 is rated for a 5v/2.1A power adapter, and I use a 5.3v/2A adapter, so I am not sure if that is having any negative effect on the battery.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Faceman696,

Welcome to CPF.

It appears that the seal is leaking. I don't know the cause but am just going with what you have presented.

This means that cell is not functioning properly. That means you should NOT use or play with it.

Tom

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
If you smell sweet smell like orange bubble gum or car coolant, ditch the battery. Electrolyte is also flammable, so don't try to "dry" it with either lighter or hair dryer, or even smoke the cigarette close to it. There are a few reasons why batteries failed, however, I suspect three things; impact (ie. mail being dropped onto the ground in sorting faculty), overheat (it's possible that it was left in the sun for too long - who knows - or even flashlight slowly cooking it, some LED flashlights are known to be running hot), overload (rare but don't knock it off - it's a possibility). Infancy mortality do occur in the battery too.

And yes, definitely don't mess with the cell, it can blow up, or turn itself into a pocket-sized flamethrower. Recycle or bury it deep in fire sand.

Faceman696

Newly Enlightened
So what do I do? Should I risk getting another unprotected cell, or should I just go the safe(er) route and get the protected?

oeL

Newly Enlightened
So what do I do? Should I risk getting another unprotected cell, or should I just go the safe(er) route and get the protected?

I would switch to a current model. In case of Panasonic "high capacity" branch this would be the NCR18650GA.
You can still buy NCR18650B cells, but no one knows how old they really are. There's no manufacturing date printed.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If an unprotected cell is going to fail, vent, or burn, it is most likely to happen during its first few charge/discharge cycles. My suspicion is that you just got a faulty cell. I've had a new, high quality, name brand IMR cell vent with flames on it's first visit with a good charger. It does happen from time to time, but I seriously doubt lighting will strike you twice. I wouldn't be afraid to try again with an unprotected cell, as there are many benefits. Also, your TN12 has a built in low voltage indicator, which will alert you before you discharge the cell too deeply. I use unprotected IMR cells in my TN12 every day and I've never had an issue.