Front White Blinking Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Hello...I'm looking for a Bright front White Blinking light for my road bike.

What do some of you guys use ?

I have a few Fenix lights...AA rechargeable Eneloops...I have a Fenix BC30 with 18650 batteries but its a tad big for just a Blinker, even though its a Awesome light and Blinker...Its Bright

I was kind of thinking about a Single AA battery light that would be a bright strobe or blinker that I could change battery when it got dim.
I could mount it on my handlebars with the two fish holder. Or maybe a Fenix light that would use the 14500 battery ?

Any suggestions on a good White Blinker ?

Thanks

Spin

Enlightened
What i use on my bike is one of those $3-$6 1AA junk lights that has zoom, hi, lo & strobe capability. I unscrew, (throw away) the zoom lens & it becomes a terrific flood strobe. The switch is a rear clicky. You can also get the light with a simple bike mount. Purchased three of them on ebay. Can also be used as an emergency light when nothing else is available. I use a cheap alkaline battery with mine.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry that I don't have any other suggestions, but I love my BC30. Even got a separate mount for my other bike. I don't mind how big it is because you never know when you might stay somewhere longer and then really want its power. Anyway, good luck finding what you want!

angerdan

Enlightened
Can you explain why do you need an light with lashing mode?
The only thing for sure is that this will stress everyone in front of you. It can be dangerous in traffic because it will attract the attention of others away from their driving line and could even cause accidents.

You have so much lights, so what is your real concern?

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks....I have thought that a Blinking or Flashing front white light was the right thing to use for DAY use.So your suggesting that I just use a Solid White light for my front Day light ?I thought that a Flashing White light would attract more attention and make you more noticeable.Guess I could just stick with my BC30...I like that light a lot also....just a tad big but a Great light.Thanks

Is it necessary to use a White Front Running light during the DAY ?
I always have my Back Red Blinker on during the day but what about the front light ?

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I don't like fast blink lights but my rear light and the bc30 flash pretty slowly so I feel that they do a good job of getting people's attention without being crazy and/or annoying like a lot of blinky lights are.

kj2

Flashaholic
Is it necessary to use a White Front Running light during the DAY ?
I always have my Back Red Blinker on during the day but what about the front light ?
Depends on local laws. Where I live, your front must be white and rear must be red.

Insulator Collector

Newly Enlightened
I use a Serfas TSL 550 for my 12 mile daily round trip commute. Much of the year I ride home after dark on un-lit bike path. I also ride in all weather, so I went for a powerful light. It turns out that I must use the light on its lowest setting, and aim it downward so as not to blind oncoming cyclists. Even tipped down on low, I have plenty of light to navigate and see obstacles. In retrospect, the TSL 550 was overkill. I find a good 200 lumen bike light more than adequate for urban commuting.

As for a rapid front blinking strobe feature, I absolutely hate it as a cyclist and as a car driver! It is blinding and disorienting to anyone approaching from the opposite direction... whether biking, driving, or walking. As a car driver, I find that front strobe bike lights mask the rider's speed and fools my depth perception. Somehow I can't easily tell if the bike is 100 feet or 100 yards away without staring for a few seconds. The blinking also has a subtle hypnotic effect that draws my attention away from my driving. I think front strobes are annoying at least, and flat out dangerous at worst.

That said, a VERY SLOW intermittent blinking front light is much better. It draws attention without the deleterious effects of a strobe, again provided the overall lumens are not high enough to blind oncoming people. I'll wrap up my post by saying that it's helpful to consider the effect one's light has oncoming bikers, drivers, and pedestrians.

da1510a

Newly Enlightened
I use a Serfas TSL 550 for my 12 mile daily round trip commute. Much of the year I ride home after dark on un-lit bike path. I also ride in all weather, so I went for a powerful light. It turns out that I must use the light on its lowest setting, and aim it downward so as not to blind oncoming cyclists. Even tipped down on low, I have plenty of light to navigate and see obstacles. In retrospect, the TSL 550 was overkill. I find a good 200 lumen bike light more than adequate for urban commuting.

As for a rapid front blinking strobe feature, I absolutely hate it as a cyclist and as a car driver! It is blinding and disorienting to anyone approaching from the opposite direction... whether biking, driving, or walking. As a car driver, I find that front strobe bike lights mask the rider's speed and fools my depth perception. Somehow I can't easily tell if the bike is 100 feet or 100 yards away without staring for a few seconds. The blinking also has a subtle hypnotic effect that draws my attention away from my driving. I think front strobes are annoying at least, and flat out dangerous at worst.

That said, a VERY SLOW intermittent blinking front light is much better. It draws attention without the deleterious effects of a strobe, again provided the overall lumens are not high enough to blind oncoming people. I'll wrap up my post by saying that it's helpful to consider the effect one's light has oncoming bikers, drivers, and pedestrians.

+1 for blinking lights messing with the receiving sides perception of movement. There's a write up on this forum by a guy who is in law enforcement/police and they studied the effects of strobe on someone. If I remember correctly, they found that they would be disoriented about where and how far the person holding the light was.

As someone who had previously used my helmet mount on flashing mode, this has made me re-evaluate whether to used steady modes instead. I have not come to any decision yet.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I why sure that this was going to be a thread about how terrible front flashing lights flashes are on bicycles.

da1510a

Newly Enlightened
+1 for blinking lights messing with the receiving sides perception of movement. There's a write up on this forum by a guy who is in law enforcement/police and they studied the effects of strobe on someone. If I remember correctly, they found that they would be disoriented about where and how far the person holding the light was.

As someone who had previously used my helmet mount on flashing mode, this has made me re-evaluate whether to used steady modes instead. I have not come to any decision yet.

In addition to my helmet mounted Planet Bike white blinky, I also use these USB rechargeables:

This one is brightest and can be bought on eBay.
http://m.gearbest.com/headlights/pp_228477.html

This one is similar to the above has more of a diffuser cover and a press button switch that is easier to press.
http://m.gearbest.com/bike-lights/pp_231889.html

This has a more concentrated beam,simple UI, built-in USB connector. Not as bright as the two above.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-780/Sentinel-USB-White-LED-Front-Light

I just purchased two Cateye Rapid X3 Safety Lights for my son's bike. One is red for the back and the other is white for the front. They both have USB charging ports, and are 200 lumens. He rides his bike to man made climbing rock about 15 minutes from home. He usually comes home around dusk. He always rides home as fast as he can. I want people to be able to see him.

~ Chance

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bike commute year-round and use an inexpensive Magicshine headlight, modded naturally, to a 3000K XM-L from a Seoul P7. The current models use XML2s, I think. In winter, I augment this with a 4 Sevens 2xCR123 running a single 17670 on my helmet. I also have several red rear Superflash units and the required red rear reflector, and liberal DOT conspicuity retro reflective tapes all around the bike.

I run these on steady. While blinking front white lights are popular with cyclists with many saying it makes them more visible, blinking/flashing lights are specifically outlawed where I live (WA state USA) except LED red rear lights on bikes.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.280

Think what it would be like if anyone who thought blinking headlights made them safer on the road did so. However, I'd say the majority of bicycles at night run a blinking front white light around here.

Wow! That's a pretty confusing read.

(3) Flashing lights are prohibited except as required in RCW 46.37.190, 46.37.200, 46.37.210, 46.37.215, and 46.37.300, warning lamps authorized by the state patrol, and light-emitting diode flashing taillights on bicycles.

After reading all the RCW's linked, I still wasn't sure so I called the local Bike Tech store. The person that answered the phone assured me flashing front lights are legal in Washington state.

~ Chance

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
So.....My take on this is to run a Steady LED light on front. I really don't care for the Strobe mode anyway..I do think its to confusing and obnoxious

Say.....200 - 400 Lumens during daylight hrs should be enough ?

I have a couple lights a ( Fenix BC30 and PD35tac ) that will run some decent lumens for a couple hrs during the daylight hrs.
I can always take along a spare 18650 cell if I had to.

So a Steady light would be more like a running light on a motorcycle or car. I will just have to make sure its Bright enough to be seen.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That's a pretty confusing read.

(3) Flashing lights are prohibited except as required in RCW 46.37.190, 46.37.200, 46.37.210, 46.37.215, and 46.37.300, warning lamps authorized by the state patrol, and light-emitting diode flashing taillights on bicycles.

After reading all the RCW's linked, I still wasn't sure so I called the local Bike Tech store. The person that answered the phone assured me flashing front lights are legal in Washington state.

~ Chance

LOL, I'm not sure I'd take legal advice from a bike shop employee that sells blinking lights.....but who knows.

LOL, I'm not sure I'd take legal advice from a bike shop employee that sells blinking lights.....but who knows.

:rolleyes: It's telling that you made no attempt to clarify your statement that blinking front lights are specifically outlawed on bicycles in Washington state. Perhaps you can't make heads or tails from the RCW you linked either ........but who knows. LOL!

~ Chance

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have nothing to clarify. I'm not a lawyer or any kind of legal expert. It just looks to me like they are outlawed in WA by that statute, which I understand is unique in the USA. I got the link from local bike forums and blogs, which also tend to agree that it seems to outlaw blinking white front headlights because only red LED blinkers on bicycles are legal. The exceptions appear to be things like emergency vehicles, road signs, etc. But also, many, many cyclists still like to use them, and I've never heard of any stops for doing so. That would be any interesting case if someone fought it, which might settle a vague legal statute.

And it seems red blinking incandescents on bikes are also illegal here!

These,* are working out very well. :twothumbs My son really likes the versatility they provide and he is easily visible from quite a ways away. They're somewhat expensive compared to other lights that are available. However, after asking myself how much was my son's safety worth to me, I decided they were worth it.

~ Chance

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOO5EYA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.