Olight H05S Active + H05 Active review (TIR,XM-L2,2xAAA)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greeting,
Today's review will be dedicated to new headlights from Olight - Olight H05S active and Olight H05 active. The lights are almost identical, and it was the main reason for the joined review.

h05_specifications_page_zpsf8orcv8h.jpg
file_1_zpscz0vzvid.jpg

h05s_specifications_page_zpsge8jjhl0.jpg
ho5snew_001_zpsvode1oq7.jpg

What do we get from reading the specs and looking at the pictures?

1. H05 Active comes in different colors, a bit lighter, less bright (150 lm vs 200 that H05S has) and a bit cheaper as well.
2. H05S has a infrared sensor for hand less operation, comes in black only and is a bit more expensive.
3. Another less obvious difference - H05 has a better runtime, on any mode.

Shall we start?

DSC_4294_DxO_cr_zps1tm748ul.jpg

Here are all the lights. I like the green one.

DSC_4296_DxO_cr_zpso1i05jy8.jpg
DSC_4298_DxO_cr_zpsxpfgmwit.jpg
DSC_4300_DxO_cr_zpsefj4a0rb.jpg

Here is the different model - in black comes the H05S Active.

DSC_4301_DxO_cr_zps4fqgibfj.jpg

The light comes with a user manual and 1.5v aaa lithium batteries (non-rechargeable).

DSC_4304_DxO_cr_zpsvvwks9qz.jpg

Here is the battery box. There is a thin resin thing around it - it would not provide total water resistance, and light's water-resistance rating of IPX4 (splash resistant only) prove it. You can further disassemble the light using regular phillips screwdriver.

DSC_4305_DxO_cr_zpse76ofaik.jpg
DSC_4307_DxO_cr_zps8zzlu5uz.jpg
DSC_4309_DxO_cr_zpsru2u3ud5.jpg

Despite being made of plastic and being not expensive the build quality is very decent. As you can see the text is sharp and clear as well.

DSC_4310_DxO_cr_zpserc9cchd.jpg
DSC_4315_DxO_cr_zpsmkkuflbc.jpg
DSC_4316_DxO_cr_zpsl6zt0ogd.jpg
DSC_4318_DxO_cr_zpstglq4uam.jpg

Everything said regarding H05S can be said about H05. The quality is great. The flashlight is very light, and does not move on the head during running.

DSC_4313_DxO_cr_zps3p2qaxcc.jpg
DSC_4314_DxO_cr_zpshahsobww.jpg

Don't they look cure?

DSC_4321_DxO_cr_zpsudeuddkv.jpg
DSC_4322_DxO_cr_zpsa1lxfm56.jpg
DSC_4325_DxO_cr_zpswfshs92o.jpg

Unique feature of the H05S - it has a polarity direction helper glowing in red, even without batteries. I guess there is some capacitor inside that feeds those led's. Anyway, the flashlight direction led's managed to work for about a week without batteries, as weird as it sounds.

DSC_4324_DxO_cr_zpswgpnshet.jpg
DSC_4303_DxO_cr_zpsrkcprlyz.jpg

Here we can see explanation of of flashlight operation.

Lux

Flashlight/ModeLowMidTurbo
H05 Lithium703001000
H05 Ni-MH703101050
H05S Lithium853001300
H05S Ni-MH802801200

The light is very similar, it would be hard to tell which one is brighter without luxmeter.

Shall we light?

H05S

015_zpsmnmsknix.jpg
016_zpsmnhyb95x.jpg
017_zpsxj7gktrx.jpg
019_zps8r2vbhmk.jpg

H05

015_zps40l5kyyr.jpg
016_zpszoigkjng.jpg
017_zpsatbt6aqi.jpg
019_zpse7b2foth.jpg

Not much difference.
No PWM was detected, and the flashlights remain dead silent.
TIR optics works really well for close-range illumination, and those headlights are a great example.

Hand Less operation

The feature works well, you can wave in a distance from 0 to 15-20 centimeters from the light and it will switch itself on/off. I have a little experience using that function from H15S wave, and may recommend closing your eyes while waving, so you don't get blinded by the returned light.

Video reviews

Conclusion

Another example of a good headlight. I think those lights will fit best for runners/cyclists, because of the minimal weight and bulkiness, and a decent runtime.

I would like to thank Olight for providing me the review samples
----------------------------------------------------------------
Questions? Suggestions? Let me know and I will be happy to assist.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ref the observation that there is not much visible difference between the high output of the H05 & H05S (150 lumens to 200 lumens per specs): On the basis of a single sample of the H05S and 3 of the H05 headlamps, I concur with KJ2. I am unable to ascertain any difference in intensity on a light-colored target between those headlamps.

On the plus side, I observe that the beam pattern and beam colors of the H05 series are relatively consistent compared with most of the 1xAAA lights that I have had and given away.

I have yet to figure out how to use the wave off/on aspect of the H05S headlamp. At least with the wave function, the H05S comes on again in whichever level it was switched off in. Otherwise the H05 always cycles thru the High-Med-Low-Off-High-Med-Low-Off... sequence.

The switch is a bit too firm for me, but I understand that avoids any inadvertent switching on when dropped in to a backpack.

These headlamps seem like good gifting lights, low enough price and high quality. TBD on what the recipients report.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
old thread but i just got one of these tonight and it is very comfortable on the head...light works nicely and i like the ability to angle the light downward a touch. i never had a headlamp but can see that having your hands free and having light can be very handy.