Nichia NVSU233a Flashlight Build

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
Quick and simple. I had been wanting a nice and powerful UV flashlight in the 365nm region (not the cheapo 395nm - 405nm). It needed to have a nice even flood spill.
I haven't seen enough build threads using this LED, so I thought I would contribute.

So here we go.

Nichia NVSU233a 365nm UV LED. I'm sure you can figure out where I got it. Flow soldered to MCPCB and then to the brass pill.

1050mA NANJG AK47 driver. The brim was filed down of excess solder so not to cause any interference after the picture was taken.

Mounted in a UF-T20 zoomie host that seemed to take forever to get in stock. I know the LED looks dirty -- I cleaned the LED with rubbing alcohol after this shot.

Installed in host with unnecessary gasket.

LED closeup through the aspheric lens.

LED powered on low, taken through amber UV safety glasses -- hence the green tint.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I have NVSU233A flashlights, they emit silly amount of ultraviolet. However, how you can make it better is to grab the Wood's Glass filter (ZWB2 filter is a good alternative, and is what I have in my Convoy S2 blacklight flashlight), so fluorescence show up easily as purple light can occasionally hide the fluorescence, unless you're using it to dry the UV cure adhesives (glues) which it also do great job at. Dries any UV glues instantly (you will have to keep it at distance or you risk cracking the glue or cooking it a bit too much).

And two of your picture fooled me into thinking there were a problem with the LED as NVSU233A don't ever emit green light, until you mentioned amber safety goggle. :sweat:

EDITED: Oh yeah, and be sure the zoomie lens is made of glass, as most transparent plastic, especially PMMA, blocks or attenuates the UV light.

Last edited:

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
I don't notice any annoying purple light with this LED as I do with other 395nm/405nm LEDS. I don't think I will need a filter for it. The aspheric in this host is glass.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Guess my eyes are much more sensitive to ultraviolet (hence I got filter installed so I see even less purple light).

That's good that the lens is glass, as glass transmit UV better than typical cheap plastic lenses commonly bundled in the Amazon specials.

BTW, how warm do it get in the UF-T20 host? I know it do get hot in Convoy S2 host after a few minute with battery completely charged.

Last edited:

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
It is very possible your eyes are more sensitive to that. The very little amount of purple light that comes off the nichia for me is acceptable.

Here are some beamshots:

Baseline lighting at my desk:

395nm Amazon flashlight (50 something LEDs crammed together):

Nichia 365nm even flood:

Nichia focused onto the cones/box:

Die image:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
That's decent, outta the Ultrafire host. I probably may consider doing this for long-reaching blacklight flashlight (not sure if I'd be crazy enough obtaining NVSU333A LED).

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
That's decent, outta the Ultrafire host. I probably may consider doing this for long-reaching blacklight flashlight (not sure if I'd be crazy enough obtaining NVSU333A LED).

If you were to go with the NVSU333a, I would go with the UF-1405.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I'd agree, given the thermal performance of the NVSU333A LED. I don't really use it much longer than is necessary. NVSU233A do get pretty warm at over an amp of current.

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
I'd agree, given the thermal performance of the NVSU333A LED. I don't really use it much longer than is necessary. NVSU233A do get pretty warm at over an amp of current.

I forgot to answer a question you asked earlier. The UF-T20 gets warm near the neck (where the brass pill is threaded on) but it takes a while of it being on. It never gets so warm that I worry about the LED getting too warm. I've had it powered on HIGH for at least 10 minutes straight and it does get warm, but nothing really to worry about. I would feel comfortable keeping it powered on HIGH for 15-20 minutes easy. Unless you are scorpion hunting at night, I don't see why you would need to have this thing constantly powered up on HIGH for that length of time.

On to the NVSU333a -- it has a solderable thermal pad. It looks like a XHP-70 sinkpad works perfectly with the NVSU333a. If the price on that LED comes down in the future, I may very well build me one.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
That's what I thought - UF-T20 is by itself somewhat a sizeable host, thermal-wise. I'd think about this as I might have to make another blacklight flashlight to be able to better soak up heat - although I'll have to be creative in the Wood's Glass filter mounting so I don't see too much of the purple which may ruin rock-hunting a bit. Some rocks do make some pretty fluorescence show, BTW.

And, yup, NVSU333A fits on XHP-70 MCPCB - I'd recommend Copper flavor as it get pretty warm.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

May I ask what is the main purpose of a UV light like this? I see rock hunting mentioned here as one thing, if anyone would care to elaborate on that as well?