iPhone li-ion battery explosion

Wendee

Enlightened
Wow! Thanks for posting this, Stephenk.
I put my phone in my back pocket when I don't have my purse with me (I don't sit on it). I'm sure a lot of people stick their phones in their back pocket occasionally. I guess the lesson here is to make sure you don't fall down or bump the phone. Obviously this is an isolated incident since millions of people have cell phones but it's good to be aware of the slight possibility of this happening. Better safe than sorry.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I usually put my smartphones (which all of them are Android) in the front pocket of my pant like I do with wallet (out of habit, I don't trust general public with my wallet, of course).

Most smartphones nowadays use Lithium polymer cells which are pretty easy to damage, even though majority of newer Lithium polymer cells made for the smartphones are nowadays hybrid IMR chemistry for safety reasons. I wonder what Lithium polymer cell variant Apple uses, however.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
However, no matter what chemistry the Lithium polymer cells the phones use, if you treat the phone with respect, it won't blow up. That means, of course, don't sit on it (especially the bendy iPhone 6... *shudders*). It applies to both iPhone and Android phones, doesn't matter what or how.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do wonder what is in my iPhone 6. It charges pretty quickly and holds it very well better than any other phone I have had. Im sure its a potential flashbang grenade if abused

Wendee

Enlightened
All my friends put their phones in the back pocket,I cringe every time I see them do it.

Really?! I do that. :eek:

I guess I'll stop putting my phone in my back pocket then, even though I doubt I would fall down just walking around a mall or something like that. Oh boy, that means that I have to lug my purse around all the time. Oh well, better safe than sorry. That's a pain though. :sigh: