• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Standby drain of Peak lights?

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am new to Peak lights. I am curious what are the standby drain current on the peak lights? The parasitic current at off. Thanks!

archimedes

Flashaholic
When unscrewed, there is zero contact. All twist lights are this way. You are breaking the connection. :thumbsup:

Would clarify that it depends on exactly how you want to define "twist lights" , but I would say most (but not necessarily all) twist lights break continuity in this manner.

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
That's awesome! I thought it's similar to the magnetic ring infinitely variable control, which usually renders a high standby current.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak lights use a little tab of QTC material to allow the variable output. The QTC is a perfect t insulator when uncompressed, but once you start to apply pressure by twisting the light it starts to allow current through. The current curve is roughly logarithmic so the actual output happens to appear linear to our eyes.
The downside is the material breaks down from use do to shear forces in the pill holder. However if you can get the pill apart it is replaceable.
The El Capitan and the Logan have better control over the output than the Eiger due to their larger diameters

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Peak lights use a little tab of QTC material to allow the variable output. The QTC is a perfect t insulator when uncompressed, but once you start to apply pressure by twisting the light it starts to allow current through. The current curve is roughly logarithmic so the actual output happens to appear linear to our eyes.
The downside is the material breaks down from use do to shear forces in the pill holder. However if you can get the pill apart it is replaceable.
The El Capitan and the Logan have better control over the output than the Eiger due to their larger diameters

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am assuming the QTC resistor is in series with the LED. In this case won't it waste a lot of energy since current run through it?
Or, is QTC only in the control circuit with very small current going through it?

parametrek

Enlightened
Yes, the QTC material acts as a variable resistor. It has exceptional current handling capabilities and it is essentially in series with the battery and the LED/driver. There is no fancy microcontroller like a magnetic ring requires. If the circuit is open then there will be no drain.

Efficiency is good at max because resistance is near zero. Efficiency is okay at moonlight because there is no MCU overhead. Efficiency is so-so over the mid range.

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the QTC material acts as a variable resistor. It has exceptional current handling capabilities and it is essentially in series with the battery and the LED/driver. There is no fancy microcontroller like a magnetic ring requires. If the circuit is open then there will be no drain.

Efficiency is good at max because resistance is near zero. Efficiency is okay at moonlight because there is no MCU overhead. Efficiency is so-so over the mid range.

Thanks a lot for the clear explanation!