New Energizer Lanterns with Light Fusion Technology

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I noticed while browsing BatteryJunction's site that Energizer had a new Light Fusion Lantern. So, I went to Energizer's site and found there were actually two new ones.

They have this LED Traditional Lantern as they're calling it.

• 4 D cells
  • 525 lumen
  • Smart Dimming
  • up to 300 hours runtime
Product link

They also have this Compact LED Lantern as they're calling it.

• 4 AA cells
  • 150 / 50 Lumen
  • High / Low modes
  • 50 / 100 hours runtime
Product link

Needless to say I added the LED Traditional Lantern to my order and have it on the way. :naughty:

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what this says about me, but despite all the positive feedback about these lanterns I could never take them seriously until they started slapping a "traditional" looking top and base on them.

Looking forward to this lantern shoot-out Stereodude. :whistle:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the LED Traditional Lantern pulls over 2.1A @ 6.0V. It doesn't appear to be constant current regulated. Current and brightness falloff as the voltage drops. It uses PWM dimming. I'm not sure of the frequency. It's perceptible on the lowest setting if you dart your eyes across it. I will try to measure the frequency in my full shootout review.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
OK so I've been champing at the bit to try the Traditional Lantern and having finally had one in hand, I must confess that I'm struggling to understand the benefit of this Light Fusion Technology. The dots on the light panel just create a field of artifacts where ever the light shines. It's not really noticeable on objects across the room, but if you set it down near a wall it's completely obnoxious. I suppose that makes this lantern better suited to outdoor use? I guess I'll find out when I go camping in a couple of weeks.

On the other hand, the light is more on the neutral side of cool which is nice. I have less obnoxious lanterns which are much cooler than this. The infinitely adjustable feature is also nice. But yeah, the PWM is definitely noticeable though I suppose I've just learned to live with this sort of thing.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Alkaline D cells have a similar capacity as 3400mah 18650 cells, when they are loaded at 1 amp or less.
At half the output, ie 250-300 lumens, the load should be about 1A.
So at half output or less, the 4D traditional lantern should give exceedingly decent/long run times. Equivalent to a 4 cell 18650 lantern.

If I didn't already have more lanterns than I am likely to ever use, I'd get one in the 4D variety.

Does it produce much glare at the higher outputs?

Last edited:

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Glare is not so bad unless you stare at the panel. If you find you're having to work close to it, I've noticed that you can turn it so the side of the panel is facing you and there's still plenty of light but not much shining in your eyes. I'm going to test it as a table light when I go camping and see how it performs.