Does anyone offer battery spot welding service?

Demon27

Newly Enlightened
I have a Bose Soundlink Mini speaker and the battery pack is dead. A replacement costs $50 so I opened it to see what batteries were in it. It has 2 18650 batteries spot welded to a circuit board. I'm wondering if someone could replace them for me if I supply new batteries and the pack.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy 18650 batteries with tabs (for soldering) online. Solar bus ribbon can be added if needed. Just solder the tabs. Good luck!

mikeloeven

Newly Enlightened
How exactly would you spot weld a battery any way? wouldn't the heat and voltage generated by a common welding machine such as a MIG/TIG either destroy or outright ignite a lithium battery cell even on the lower settings?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
How exactly would you spot weld a battery any way? wouldn't the heat and voltage generated by a common welding machine such as a MIG/TIG either destroy or outright ignite a lithium battery cell even on the lower settings?
A spot welder welds very fast so that heat has very little time to accumulate. The welds are pretty small and spaced out across the tab in 3-4 places or more. You cannot compare a post welder with a mig/tig/rod based welder as they have to melt material to fill a gap a spot welder passes a high current pulse through the metal tabs in an instant which causes the metal to heat up almost instantly. If you get batteries with tabs on them you can solder to the tabs back from where it attaches to the battery far enough that the heat is no problem for the battery. If your Bose Speaker had extra room you can buy 18650 battery holders online and use one of them instead of welding. I have the same issue I need a tabbed battery for a soldering iron upgrade and don't have a welder but do have batteries already suitable for the task.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Nkon offer u and z tagging on all the batteries they supply. Postage for just 2 won't be cheap though. Otherwise find a hobby store that sells competitive RC cars as they will probably have the tools to tag batteries.