World Smallest Titanium Light using a High Power LED (Nichia 219B 93CRI) Completed!

The Special Edition is up for sale now as of 8/28/16 HERE
Standard version available for purchase
HERE

What better way to end your week, than announcing the project, you've been working on for over 3 months. Unlike my other projects, I've made a limited number of this light and it will go up for sale in about 48 hours. Let me start by saying, that it has been the most challenging build from start to finish. As you've noticed, the title claims, that this is the smallest titanium (also Mokume Gane, and Brass)flashlight, using a high power LED. I'm pretty confident with this statement, but if you aware of anything smaller, let me know, and I will correct my title. If you're interested in how I came up with building this light, keep reading, otherwise, feel free, to roll down, and look at the photos of the light. So here is the background story, and a little more info on the process of the build.
When I first started on this project, I never intended to build multiple pieces of this, my only intention was to build something out of Mokume Gane material. Being afraid, that I will ruin it on my lathe, I purchased the smallest, and the only available piece I could find (except a 1" dia. piece for over a $1000). The piece I've purchased was a 3/8" x 4" 3 color twisted piece, so my finish size needed to be smaller, than 3/8 of an inch. At first, I was planning on using a 5mm or 3mm Nichia LED, but I decided, that I want to have flexibility (in case I make a different host for the pill) and the high CRI for accurate colors. I've first designed a fairly accurate version on Solidworks, then it was time to hit the lathe. Some of the pieces were so small, that I had to use a magnifier over the lathe, so I could keep my eyes focused. It took me a long time to get all the parts done, since the tolerances were almost beyond my small lathe's capability. Once the body was done, it was time, to put my eyesight to the test again, and do the assembly of the 8mm pcb, the soldering work, and the assembly of the brass pill. When I first put the light together, I knew, it would be a cool piece, so I decided, to make a batch of 100 for others to enjoy as well. So next step, was waterproofing the light....which was a challenge in itself. After internal and external threads, I was left with so little material, that I wasn't sure, If it can be done. I was determined, to make a light, that can be fully disassembled, so permanently sealing the components were out of the question. I could also make this light with less sections, but again, I was determined to closely mimic it's larger counterparts. After a few days, I was able to find a groove depth, and o-ring size (8mm x 0.5mm) that would work with this light (I would still hit brick walls, once starting to make the parts on the CNC machines, eventually, I worked out all the issues.) The last two design features were also challenging, but after all the previous issues, it was no surprise. I wanted to be able to use tritium vials in the rear cap, but again, I was very limited on space. The choice of Tritium came to the 0.95mm x 3mm size, which is less common, as the larger ones, and also getting them could be a bit more difficult, but they are available, sometimes you just have to wait a few weeks for stock. I've nearly completed the prototype, when I hit an other issue. Since this light was design around the Maxell SR41W battery (sorry no Lithiums that would fit this size) I needed to use a sleeve that would prevent the first two of the batteries touching the side walls, so instead of some glue, or tape, I've managed to machine down a piece of Delrin to the interior hole size of the battery with the sidewall of only 0.0025 of an inch. This would not only prevent contact between the tube and the first batteries, but also made loading the batteries a breeze. They will not turn over as going down the tube, like other similar designs, but sliding down straight. I felt like sharing the story, since I've kept this project under wraps, there were no process posts like some others, where you can follow the project from design to prototype to finished product. Part of the reason for this was, that in just a few days of the announcement there is no months of waiting, instead, you can own it in a short time.
If you've read all this, you will be happy to hear about something. Since I've only had 4" of Mokume Gane material, and I could only do two pieces, instead of putting a hefty price-tag on it, it will be awarded free of charge (fully loaded with trits) once all pieces are sold, to one of the owner of my titanium lights. In order to win the Mokume Gane piece, you will have to own one of this light and participate in a photo contest, I will post specifics about, once sales goes up.
I've made this light, as an introduction, to show you the quality of the lights I can produce.If sales are successful, there will be others to follow, electronically more advanced, and larger in size. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this post, and let me know, what you think!

Sales will start on Sunday afternoon/evening 90 pieces total with 30 pcs. batches released every 10 days. (If sales are successful, there will be an other batch of 100 made, and that will be the end of this design)

So here are the specs:

- Size: 1.04" x 3/8" (0.37") or 26.4mm x 9.44mm (if you're on the metric system) / With the split ring holder accessory 1.15" or 29.4mm
- Weight: 0.17 oz or 5 Grams
- LED: Nichia NVSL219BT-V1 4000K, 93 CRI, D200 Bin
LED Features
  • Thermal resistance: 6C/W
  • Max Forward Current: 1.5A
  • Max Junction Temperature: 150C
  • Color Rendering: Ra 92
  • Electrically neutral thermal path
  • SW40 Tint
  • D200 Flux Bin(200-220lm@700mA)
  • L2 Voltage Bin (2.9-3.1V@700mA)
- Light Engine: Brass Pill with 8mm MCPCB
- Window : 7.5mm Sapphire glass window, with AR coating on both sides, specifically tuned to the wavelenght of this LED
- Lumens: ~ 20-25 ( This is an estimate based on the current to LED, which is approximately 72mA max. on fresh batteries.
- Runtime: It is made for using in short intervals of 10-15 secs. it will have enough juice for about 100-150 of this 10-15 sec. burst. If ran continuously , it will run for about 45 mins. losing brightness until the 10 minute mark. then running it on about 2 lumens for the rest of its run-time)
(If you're getting this light, to look for lost treasures in the sand, it is Not the right light for you. On the other hand, if you're an enthusiast wanting to own a really cool piece that might not be replicated and you're ok, for using it for short intervals, or emergencys, you'll love this light. I have designed other hosts for this that is using 5A rechargeable cylindrical batteries, capable of providing about 800-900 mA
current to the LED. They might be available in the future, as an add-on, if I can work out all the issues)
Country of design and manufacture: If you're feeling patriotic, you'll love to hear, that it was all designed and made here in San Diego, California.
Manufacturing: With the exception of writing the CNC programs, I designed, assembled and even operated some of the CNC lathes and mills. (Haas SL-10 lathe and Haas VF-3SS mill)
(Machining on these pieces are to very tight tolerances, and are high quality, with smooth threads. This light is a mechanical gem! The light can be fully disassembled with the exception of the brass pill.
Water Resistance:.10ft./3meters (I will take this down up to 100' in the next few weeks and update the exact limitations. Waterproofing will work, as long as you don't back out the rear cap more, than you need to, to turn off the light.)

Here comes the pictures: For more pictures, please go to : https://www.flickr.com/photos/george7806/albums/72157671190387472

Exploded View

28177070644_658523dc7b_b.jpg

Brushed Titanium:

28762896006_4e431b7bf4_b.jpg

Brushed Titanium with trits installed:

28510096100_9b8fae74d1_b.jpg

Standing on a U.S. penny

28510100030_1efd9314d4_b.jpg

The full collection, Brushed Titanium, Polished Brass, Polished Titanium, Mokume Gane (with trits installed)

28762866326_e349b0a78f_b.jpg

For size comparison next to a AAA and an 18650 battery.

28762887076_368ecc132b_b.jpg

Brushed Titanium Rear View without trits installed:

28794575915_6d1df547fb_b.jpg

8mm Light Engines:

28689382032_8b76e69887_b.jpg

Wearing it around the neck:

28762890116_95ba499337_b.jpg

Early Solidworks Design:

28510093790_94cf693e74_b.jpg

Full collection on a US quarter:

28794568115_8cbc5d6076_b.jpg

One of the two Mokume Gane made will be awarded to a lucky winner:

28794590955_972cb221ea_b.jpg

28177093764_8398b228d6_b.jpg

Don't let the size of the camera fool you, it's a miniature Minox Hasselblad:

28510113120_e1ab918c87_b.jpg

In my hands it looks really small:

28717429491_e18424f9f3_b.jpg

For more pictures, please go to : https://www.flickr.com/photos/george7806/albums/72157671190387472

Last edited:
Thank You all for the kind words, it has been a challenging journey, some days I've had doubts about being able to complete it the way I wanted....but I've pushed until every detail came out exactly how I imagined!

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
Very very nice! Another light I absolutely don't need but do want.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Wow - great light - been waiting for a light JUST like this -- will be looking forward to more information.

Wendee

Enlightened
It's so tiny and beautiful I'd love to wear one of these! I can't believe how small it is. Holy moly, that's unbelievable! :goodjob:

Very very nice! Another light I absolutely don't need but do want.

I have some of those too:) If you need incentive, I'd like to remind you, that by getting one, you'll be able to enter a contest and win the Mokume Gane version fully loaded! And the chances of winning one, is much better, than getting hit by lightning...:)
With all jokes aside, I don't think this light is the run of the mill, that you'll find a different version of it anytime soon. It can only truly be appreciated by seeing it personally. Either way, thanks for the kind words!

Wow - great light - been waiting for a light JUST like this -- will be looking forward to more information.

Thank You Phosphor22, I thought it's a new generation of small lights....now all we need is, a sub-10mm Lithium battery to power these small devices, and we're good to go!
Like the Panasonic CG-320, which was announced nearly 2 years ago, but it still has not been available.