Ticla Good Love lantern owners thread

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if anyone else managed to pick up one of these handy little lanterns before Ticla went out of business? Some specs for you (per the manufacturer):

Output: 7 - 220 lumens (or 200, depending on who you believe)
Beam distance: 53 ft
Weight: 1.69 lbs
Runtime on high 3.5 hours
on low 120 hours
Power: 4AA (USB recharge in lantern)

I love the fact that if you're using NiMH cells, you can recharge them in the lantern via USB. The output is variable by twisting the top and the rubberized base grips pretty firmly, so you can do it one-handed. Seems like the first inch of rotation doesn't do much, then the light jumps a bit in brightness. The adjustment range is pretty short, but overall I find it to be a satisfying lantern to use. It is a bit on the large side and while not exactly a back-breaker, it is a little bit on the heavy side. Shouldn't be an issue if hanging from a sturdy structure or branch though. Now for some pics.

Ticla%200_zpspxgy4ifq.png

Came in a fancy box with USB charging cable, carabiner and a set of alkaleaks.

Ticla%201_zpsmgvhyeew.png

On a recent camping trip. Up close at 7 lumens.

Ticla%202_zpsgmwj4ie5.png

A few feet back and at about halfway to high.

Ticla%203_zpsplumllno.png

About 7-8 feet away on high. It's hard to tell in these pics, but the color temperature is actually quite a bit warmer than it may look.

I'd do a proper review and field test, but I suppose there's no point now. It's too bad, I discovered them a bit a late but they seemed like a great little company. I managed to pick up both of their adult sleeping bags as well. Good stuff.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like it wouldn't make a very good lantern to put on the middle of the table and sit around seeing as it's a giant glare source. Seems like you'd want to hang it upside down overhead where it's out of your field of vision.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a great area light to have for camping. Good illustration of how it would look sitting on a picnic table for reference. Its too bad the company is no longer.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's actually not glarey at all, though it probably looks like it in my mediocre camera phone pics. The light is quite warm and didn't hurt my eyes, even on high. It does have a d-ring on the bottom and you could hang it up, but I prefer using it on a table like this.

Zoccster

Newly Enlightened
Hi, great to see some dialogue on this great lamp. A general question that I wonder whether anyone knows - how does the charging indicator lamp work? It glows red when plugged in but never seems to change to show that the batteries are topped up? Yes I have some NiCads in there, just a tad concerned that I'm over-charging them? Anyone know or have some instructions please?

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
Hi, great to see some dialogue on this great lamp. A general question that I wonder whether anyone knows - how does the charging indicator lamp work? It glows red when plugged in but never seems to change to show that the batteries are topped up? Yes I have some NiCads in there, just a tad concerned that I'm over-charging them? Anyone know or have some instructions please?
:welcome: I'm not sure. Last time I took it camping I used Eneloops so I could charge it in my car if necessary, but I didn't end up needing to. It could be that it's trickle charging and thus taking so long that it seems like nothing is happening?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review. "AA" form factor isn't quite my cup of tea, but, at its price point, this will appeal to many.

How bad is the glare in real life?