Review: Nitecore EC4GT: XP-L HI V3, 1000 lumens, 1x18650; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
About one year after the first release, the Nitecore die-cast EC-family is still growing : Before I had my hands-on to the EC4 and EC4S, time now to have a look at the EC4GT. This latest member, that came in a limited version too, could be expected because a lot of Nitecores got the latest powerful and throwy XP-L HI V3 LED update in the past season. In this review we'll also have a look at the three EC's; and also this EC-thrower-king compared to some competitors. Let's kick
off!

the latest die-cast member made by Nitecore
14lsms7.jpg

the EC4GT
jzdwzn.jpg

powered by the flat XP-L HI V3 LED
29xznm8.jpg

the new EC-throw-king!
2qs00hz.jpg

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by Nitecore:

• A rugged, lightweight flashlight made with unibody die-cast technology
• Utilizes a CREE XP-L HI V3 LED
• Maximum output up to 1,000 lumens
• Maximum throw up to 475 meters
• Driven by two rechargeable 18650 Li-ion batteries for runtime up to 380 hours
• Dual switch design offers unprecedented ease of use
• Thumbscrew lock on tailcap doubles as a tripod connector
• 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes available
• Direct access to ultra-low and turbo output
• Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
• A power indicator built into the on/off switch indicates remaining battery power
• An SMO reflector offers blinding and far-reaching beams
• Stainless steel retaining ring protects core components from damage
• Reverse polarity protection
• Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
• Solid, lightweight aerospace grade aluminum alloy construction
• Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2 meters submersible)
• Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
• Tail stand capability

The dimensions:

Length: 6.1" (155mm)
Head diameter: 1.58" (40mm)
Tube: 1.58" × 1.12" (40mm×29mm)
Weight: 6.03oz (171gram) (without battery)

And the output specs:
105vekx.jpg

Unboxing:

The package of the EC4GT is not a big surprise: Also this member comes in an attractive, sturdy carton, with prints on it that show the features and specialties of the light. By the way, I can't call this boxes under-dimensioned, but it takes some effort to restore the light and the parts. Inside, we find almost all we need: except batteries this box is a complete one. Noticeable is that this light doesn't need spare O-rings, so they are not in. Overall, nothing to complain about here. The photos show the details and the contents, so please have a look!

an attractive and colorful box
2m4rj48.jpg

no secrets about the features..
sl042d.jpg

only batteries are missing, for the rest all we need is there
dwzwhg.jpg

Impressions:

The EC4GT has the same design as the other EC-brothers that I earlier had my hands-on. It seems like they're equal, but when we have a closer look, there's a difference: The EC4GT has a larger head, because it has a redesigned and deeper reflector. This die-cast lights are built very well, and will last for years. I can't detect weak parts, this is a though one. The anodizing is well done; (it looks like Nitecore has improved that job, it's almost perfectly done now), and the laser engraving is clear. No defects found in the deep reflector, and the XP-L HI V3 LED is perfectly centered, which is especially needed for a thrower. The threads run less smooth that we are used off, I think this is because of the special die-cast construction of the cap and the tube. But no problems here.. Also inside the cap and the tube all used materials feel high-quality and durable. Stickers at the bottom of the tubes' inner tell you how to insert the cells, so this can't go wrong. So summarizing, we can conclude the EC4GT is built and finished very well, so my impressions are very good. I took some (details)pictures of the EC4GT, they show you extra impressions about it. Please scroll down to view..

EC4GT, about the same design as the other EC-members
20pygz5.jpg

this light is die-cast
15d4bk5.jpg

so the cap is the only removable part
25prgb7.jpg

the EC's have their own looks
2copmv8.jpg

steady tailstanding
k4gltg.jpg

compact and pocket-sized
10h94qx.jpg

deep cooling-fins that also ensure good grip
1z4gv9l.jpg

the powerful XP-L HI V3 for excellent throw
2zxnzv6.jpg

the buttons are separated by an edge
2uny354.jpg

the laser engraving is clear and well-done
16ad76d.jpg

nice design that fits perfectly in the hand
xm05ti.jpg

stickers inside the tube how to insert the cells
xm5s7m.jpg

a smooth and deep reflector without defects
25gxp5i.jpg

the buttons have the same size, but different structure
21edj84.jpg

anodizing well-done
29xy842.jpg

a close up to the tail
2rhtpps.jpg

a close-up at the cap that has an tripod adaptor
2d9tt8p.jpg

all parts made of high-quality
293azdj.jpg

and close-up to the tube
aw2ogl.jpg

and a look into the tube
w63ya.jpg

the XP-L HI V3 LED is perfectly centered
316ky6x.jpg

runs both on 18650 as on CR123A's
v7z1ph.jpg

fits well in the holster
2v3mqtz.jpg

with the adjustable lanyard added-on
4si4g9.jpg

the EC4GT is longer that its brothers because of the larger head and deeper reflector
2cwmnwg.jpg

three different LEDS: XM-L2 U2, XHP50 and XP-L HI V3
2nld64z.jpg

again the three: with diffusor-filter "NFD40" and traffic wand shown "NTW40" here
4rokk6.jpg

the EC4GT in the forest
2gy0fhd.jpg

ready for searching jobs
1zmdoo5.jpg

using a gorilla pod for hands-free working
102umxi.jpg

User interface:

The EC4GT is a middle-sized light can be taken in your (coat) pocket without problems. The special, flat shape of the body gives comfortable grip and the texture and the fins at the head protect against slipping out of your hand. So, this light is easy to control.

The EC4GT has two buttons, placed against each other and separated by an edge. This edge helps you to choose the right button, especially in complete darkness. You can also identify the buttons by the texture: the mode button is ribbed. The light can be controlled at best by using your thumb. The lower button is needed for on/off (a short press) and instant moonlight (long press from off). The upper button is needed to cycle through the modes (by using short presses), instant turbo (press and hold from off) or the special modes. About the special modes: From off, quick double press brings instant and strobe, in this mode you can't cycle through the other special modes. Press single for off in this mode, no other options here. When the light is on, a long press at the upper button activates strobe; to cycle through the other special modes again a long press is needed. No memory for the last used special mode here. In any mode (except the instant strobe from off) a longer press at the off-button will activate location flash: a blue led in the button will flash once per 3 seconds to help you to find your light back in the dark. This option has no memory, and needs to be activated every time you shut the light off. To check the remaining power, short press the upper button: three blue flashes mean 50% an up remaining, two flashes below 50% and one flash means that you must charge as soon as possible.

I can say this interface still works fine to me, and I'm still loving it. There's only one feature I miss on the EC4GT: momentary-on. To me, wished on every (search)light. But I know this is hard to realize by using an interface and switches like this.

Modes:

The EC4GT has in total five normal modes: ULTRALOW > LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. The light stores the last used mode. You can only cycle up through the modes, but I usually start the EC4GT by a long press (and get instant-ULTRALOW), to avoid I will blind my eyes accidentally.. The spacing is good, except the big jump between ULTRALOW and LOW. Maybe an idea to Nitecore to add a sixth normal mode, that has around 10 lumens, and make ULTRALOW a hidden mode… As seen earlier, two direct modes: instant-ULTRALOW and instant-TURBO. Three special modes at the EC4GT, in order of: STROBE > BEACON > SOS. No memory for the special modes. In standby, you can activate LOCATION-BEACON. The light has also a LOCK-OUT mode: press and hold both button to (de)activate.

ATR:

This means Advanced Temperature Regulation. The EC4GT will dynamically decrease power when the temperature will be too high. The decrease will not be a full step down, so in real life, it could be barely noticeable. Because the EC4GT will get hot after longer time (I mean 5 minutes or up for example) when using at turbo, this is a good feature to protect the light from damage.

Size comparison:

The EC4GT side-by-side here to some other compact throwers that should reach about the same distance. Big difference is that the competitors run on only one 18650 cell. I used this lights also for the beamshots, later in this review we'll have a look have these lights perform!

CR123A, 18650-cell, Olight M23 Javelot, Nitecore MH27 and Nitecore EC4GT
wrxkl5.jpg

Olight M23 Javelot, Nitecore MH27 and Nitecore EC4GT
34e9rgx.jpg

fteafn.jpg

the heads: XP-L (customized) and 2 XP-L HI V3 LEDS
155gtfp.jpg

the tails:
2rnwrxi.jpg

Tint:

The cool white tint of the EC4GT is ok. No green found, only in spill my sample had a bit purple. Below the tint shown together with the other EC's that I showed you earlier. The picture shows also the difference in beamprofiles.

5am8p1.jpg

Beamprofile:

Because of the deeper reflector and the flat and "throwy" LED we see a thrower-profile here: A tiny and bright spot, but also a surprising medium corona. This results in a profile that reaches a good distance, and that has also a usable beam. Please check out the wallshots and the beamshots later in this review.. The beam is clean, without defects; no PWM at any mode.

Beamshots:

At first, the five modes of the EC4GT shown here when we project the torch on a white wall, followed by a GIF. The distance to the wall is about 1,25 meters.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
24qpj60.jpg

2psm8td.jpg

6endaa.jpg

o9i8lw.jpg

25tg66x.jpg

GIF-picture:
2j49iev.jpg

Going outdoors now with the EC4GT! Starting here by showing the five output modes when shining at a road with some trees, followed by a GIF. After that, the difference between the EC4 / EC4S / EC4GT, all lights at highest mode here.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
2l9fd2.jpg

v95ww.jpg

35jh669.jpg

jsoe40.jpg

2uqj8kh.jpg

GIF-picture:
30xe51d.jpg

A comparison between the three EC-members, all lights at Turbo. The EC4GT has a narrow beam, and better throw. The EC4S creates a wall of light, but at shorter distance.

2uqj8kh.jpg

o9pftc.jpg

2pqqquu.jpg

GIF-picture:
nwao43.jpg

Location 2: I picked the Nitecore MH27 and the Olight (that have about the same throw) here. The tree is about 180 meters away here. All lights at highest mode.

checked with Bresser rangefinder
25plfrm.jpg

distance about 180 meters
2128he1.jpg

the Nitecore EC4GT against the Nitecore MH27
2hgsaa9.jpg

a shoot-out of the Nitecore EC4GT against the Olight M23 Javelot
317gspf.jpg

Conclusion:

At the end of this review I can tell you the EC4GT is a very nice upgrade of the EC4! This pocked-sized light provides its user a nice beam that has good throw too. The overall-quality is very good, the interface works simply and the light has a bunch of modes and options. What I like to see in future is momentary-on and a extra mode from about 10 lumens. Also I hope that Nitecore brings back the accurate voltage check, like (for example) the MH20GT has.

But I'm sure this light will have lots of satisfied users!

Thanks to Nitecore for providing me the EC4GT!

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
Thank you for an excellent review and beam shots. The MH27 is rated, by Nitecore, for 53,500cd and the EC4GT at 56,500cd. Looking at your beam shots either the MH27 is over rated or the EC4GT is under rated, or maybe a little of both.

Thank you for an excellent review and beam shots. The MH27 is rated, by Nitecore, for 53,500cd and the EC4GT at 56,500cd. Looking at your beam shots either the MH27 is over rated or the EC4GT is under rated, or maybe a little of both.

Agreed!

Lovely review- very thorough, appreciate the visuals.

kj75

Enlightened

I was surprised by it too... as you see, the (deeper) reflector is so important..

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
great review kj75! Man you really put a lot of effort into your photos you must have one out standing camera you capture beam shots incredibly well which I know is very hard to do. Ive had this light a month now. Have the M23 and MH27 as well and the GT smokes them both badly. Im seeing over 60k CD. I also got the new ET S200C2 XP-L HI that amazingly not only hangs dead even on throw it has a wider beam to boot. I am very pleased with the GT though I was not expecting to like it as much as I do. It is surprisingly pocket friendly I thought the GT version was going to be bigger for a bigger reflector.

hellcatrydr

Newly Enlightened
Virgin flashlight nooblet here. I just got one of these based on this review. (illumn BF sale)
Waiting for me protected batts to arrive.

I bought it thinking my unprotected batts would work.
Imagine my surprise when the rattled around in there... :p
Lesson 1... complete.
buttrock.gif