Compact Thrower for Boating

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a compact 2-3X 18650 thrower to use on my boat and around the farm. I think my requirements are modest and I'd like the most compact light possible. Most of my boating is from a 16' center console skiff on the Intracoastal Waterway and surrounding creeks/bays. I know my section of water pretty well and the ICW is lined with homes/condos. I occasionally find myself fishing after dark and have so far been OK with nothing more than an old Surefire Ultra2, which is OK (barely) for spotting the bank and finding reflective markers but I'd like something I could use to watch for floating logs, crabpots or other obstructions on the water at about 100 yards (i think?). The more run time the better but I rarely run the boat more than an hour and would use the light for even less. An internal charger would be a plus but I plan to get a stand alone to charge spares. Price range of up to $200 would be OK.
I've tried searching through other threads but I'm not sure how big of light I really need to get the job done and I've shied from dedicated throwers as I find floods more useful for most of my needs.
Thanks for any specific recommendations.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not usually one to suggest much in the way of Chinese lights because I favor Malkoffs/Surefires for durability and warranty.

I will however suggest an EagleTac S200C2 for your intended purpose because I think it would be a great fit. I've got one with an XP-L HI neutral and it has amazing throw for a 1x18650 light and (relatively small) reflector size. 3 easily accessible modes so you can quickly dial it down for map reading or a task right on the boat.

After reading your request, I'm putting mine in my boat.

http://www.eagletac.com/html/s200c2/index.html

WDR65

Enlightened
I'm looking for a compact 2-3X 18650 thrower to use on my boat and around the farm. I think my requirements are modest and I'd like the most compact light possible. Most of my boating is from a 16' center console skiff on the Intracoastal Waterway and surrounding creeks/bays. I know my section of water pretty well and the ICW is lined with homes/condos. I occasionally find myself fishing after dark and have so far been OK with nothing more than an old Surefire Ultra2, which is OK (barely) for spotting the bank and finding reflective markers but I'd like something I could use to watch for floating logs, crabpots or other obstructions on the water at about 100 yards (i think?). The more run time the better but I rarely run the boat more than an hour and would use the light for even less. An internal charger would be a plus but I plan to get a stand alone to charge spares. Price range of up to $200 would be OK.
I've tried searching through other threads but I'm not sure how big of light I really need to get the job done and I've shied from dedicated throwers as I find floods more useful for most of my needs.
Thanks for any specific recommendations.

I would recommend the Stanley Fatmax 2000 lumen spotlight from Wal-Mart or Lowes. I'm frequently on the ICW during the winter while duck hunting and my buddy and I swear by these. They can recharge off a 12v or A/C cord and runtime is over an hour. The pistol grip is great for running the boat and less akward than using a standard handheld flashlight. They're also smaller and close to the same weight as the old Brinkmann spotlights, the corded ones. They're around $50.

My backup is a Streamlight Protac HL-3, which has very good throw and I keep in a jacket pocket while we're running. It just doesn't run on rechargables.

Last edited:

Belasarius Jnr

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the Olight M 2X-UT Javalot (1*18650) on charter vessels for the last year or so. I often have to drop off passengers in the dark at unfamiliar wharves, set amoung moored vessels - it is perfect for finding my way.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Stanley Fatmax 2000 lumen spotlight from Wal-Mart or Lowes. I'm frequently on the ICW during the winter while duck hunting and my buddy and I swear by these. They're around $50.

I had bad experiences with this style of rechargeable spotlights 15+ years ago and hadn't reconsidered until now.
This would allow me to spend my $$ on updating EDC and headlamps.

So, what's the downside compared to something like a M2x-UT?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an m3xs-UT bought especially for boating, and it has worked great.

The pencil beam throws super far, but narrow enough to not be obnoxious to others on the water or shore.

It is not a super tough light, though. It is no malkoff or mag lite; the metal is thinner on the tube and I wouldn't want to drop it too many times.

Also there is some green tint shift because of the dedome but out on the water I never notice.

Edit: regarding the Walmart spotlights, you are going to get a ton of weight, poor battery life, or both. They are also floody... nowhere near the throw of say the m2 or m3xs.

Edit 2: fatmax overstates at 2000lm. Have been revised down to 920ish. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/339707

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the explanation BDM82. It still might be good enough for my purposes, but I'd prefer to be able to carry pre charged backup cells in a dry box.
My real problem is I don't know exactly how many lumens, or how narrow a beam I need for my purpose: i.e. avoiding a floating log at 20mph or seeing a shoreline 2-300 yards away.
All my lights are many gens old so I don't have a frame of reference.
I was considering larger lights like the m3xs-uts, SR52-uts or TK61s, etc. but I'd prefer something more compact and less of a 1 trick poney if I can get away with it.
Any 2 cell lights that would be respectable throwers?

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
How about the Eagletac SX30C2 with extender? About the right size and like the idea of a diffuser kit to get more than the single use from it but will it be enough light?

WDR65

Enlightened

The pencil beam throws super far, but narrow enough to not be obnoxious to others on the water or shore.

It is not a super tough light, though. It is no malkoff or mag lite; the metal is thinner on the tube and I wouldn't want to drop it too many times.

Also there is some green tint shift because of the dedome but out on the water I never notice.

Edit: regarding the Walmart spotlights, you are going to get a ton of weight, poor battery life, or both. They are also floody... nowhere near the throw of say the m2 or m3xs.

Edit 2: fatmax overstates at 2000lm. Have been revised down to 920ish. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/339707

Bdm82,
You are correct in that Stanley overstates the lumens, I should have addressed that in my first post. I do think you're incorrect on runtime and weight, these are not particularly heavy spotlights. They are nothing like the old Brinkmann or cheap rechargeable with lead acid batteries that were better as an anchor.
The shape in my opinion with the pistol grip is easier for operating the light and holding the steering wheel at the same time. Its also easy to set on the console and not roll around like a traditional flashlight. The Fatmax spotlight does have more spill than a Javelot but it still has a very focused beam that cuts through fog easily. Its not very floody thought the extra spill will help with the OP's desire to avoid crab pot buoys, they're the naval mines of the ICW. They can be almost submerged and very hard to see until you're on top of them.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for both of these recommendations. For the price, I'll probably pick up a Stanley in addition to whatever else I get.
The pencil beam on some of these throwers and having tunnel vision is actually what concerns me most about them. On the other hand the beam needs to be tight enough as to not reflect back too off the bow as I'm normally running alone.
Still trying to decide between some of the 18650 lights. Are there good throwers with enough spill to be useful for this?
Maybe something like the TM16ut with quad LEDs would give me beat of both?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bdm82,
You are correct in that Stanley overstates the lumens, I should have addressed that in my first post. I do think you're incorrect on runtime and weight, these are not particularly heavy spotlights. They are nothing like the old Brinkmann or cheap rechargeable with lead acid batteries that were better as an anchor.
The shape in my opinion with the pistol grip is easier for operating the light and holding the steering wheel at the same time. Its also easy to set on the console and not roll around like a traditional flashlight. The Fatmax spotlight does have more spill than a Javelot but it still has a very focused beam that cuts through fog easily. Its not very floody thought the extra spill will help with the OP's desire to avoid crab pot buoys, they're the naval mines of the ICW. They can be almost submerged and very hard to see until you're on top of them.

Very solid points. Nothing to argue. The shape of the fatmax could be pretty convenient. They don't weigh what the old tech ones do and the pistol group distributes the weight well.

Thanks for both of these recommendations. For the price, I'll probably pick up a Stanley in addition to whatever else I get.
The pencil beam on some of these throwers and having tunnel vision is actually what concerns me most about them. On the other hand the beam needs to be tight enough as to not reflect back too off the bow as I'm normally running alone.
Still trying to decide between some of the 18650 lights. Are there good throwers with enough spill to be useful for this?
Maybe something like the TM16ut with quad LEDs would give me beat of both?

The bow can really bite. Off my fiberglass boat I've about blinded myself a couple times by accident.

If you're looking single 18650 to compliment a fatmax, have you considered vinh's M30Cvn light? Tm16t would work too, though the head is large. Something like the ec4gt would have a smaller head, give good battery life, and have a narrow beam to complement the fatmax while being pocketable in most cases(assuming no skinny jeans).
Shy of something like the mm18mb with independently controlled multi leds, having flood be an "option" isn't really an option.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam K60
+1

The K60 has such a great all-around beam [throws like a thrower and floods like a flooder] and simple UI, that'd it make an excellent choice.

After some T&E, I've come to prefer the Samsung 30Q's followed by the NCR18650GA's.

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Well what started out as searching for a boating light got me interesting in updating all my lighting. I found a deal at Illumn's sale pages on a M2x-ut for just $60 so I'm gonna give that a try.
Of course, will all my researching I got interested in other lights and deals and ended up getting S1 & S2 from Olightworld sale, a Fenix PD35 1000cp, a Nitecore D4 charger, (6) Keeppower 18650s, and (6) rcr123as.

And, I still might want to pick up one of the Stanley's.

Gonna need to push away from this site for a while as it's costing me too much $$$.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened

It is not a super tough light, though.

Ended up ordering the little brother of this light m2x-UT. Hopefully it will be enough for my purposes. A little concerned with durability as it'll likely be keep in my under seat storage and will be subject to some vibration and banging around. Thinking about using some type of padded/zippered case like those for camera lenses.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gonna need to push away from this site for a while as it's costing me too much $$$.

But, wait! You still don't have an XHP70 monster flooder. And a headlamp. And a nice key chain light. Oh, and the new Nitecore TIP. And the ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus. And, and, and...

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Ended up ordering the little brother of this light m2x-UT. Hopefully it will be enough for my purposes. A little concerned with durability as it'll likely be keep in my under seat storage and will be subject to some vibration and banging around. Thinking about using some type of padded/zippered case like those for camera lenses.
So far they've been okay for us, that said I'm not comparing to the Maglite that's bounced around for 3 years..

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming it comes with the holster like the M3 I think you'd be fine to just use that as the protection and let it ride under seat.

I wouldn't just throw it in the back of a pickup to bounce around loose, or drop it on concrete repeatedly... that's what mags and malkoff are for. But reasonable care and it should be fine.

But let us know how it works out for you. I look forward to hearing what you think!

Last edited: