Idiot-proof multimeters

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

What would be the cheapest idiot-proof multimeter? Specifically when testing with the wrong settings?

Thanks!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm.... this brings to mind a couple of questions:

1. what sort of things will this meter be required to measure? Just AC and DC voltages? AC and DC currents? Diode voltages, capacitance, temperature, etc.?

2. who is the idiot that we are talking about? ;) Is there anything we can do to educate this person?

I will say that most problems involve the measurement of current, and incorrect meter setup for this. .. or having the meter probes in position to measure current and then putting the probes on a voltage source, which typically blows a fuse in the meter. If there isn't a need to measure current, then look for a meter that doesn't measure it.

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
Thank you!

1. AC and DC voltages, AC and DC currents. Hobby, auto, appliance, and general in-house troubleshooting.

2. Moi. Yes, still undergoing education. Have not fried anything but considering to move up to safer multimeters. With the cost involved, and knowing that even more experienced users have used incorrect settings, would be looking to address such incidents also.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good, quality meter will be safe... but not always more protected from user errors. I think(?) some meters will beep at you if you've got the positive probe connected to the jacks that are used to measure current, but have the controls set to measure something else. However, I just checked my new Fluke 179, and it just beeps at you whenever the control moves to the current measuring positions. In other words, it won't keep you from blowing the fuse, but does remind you to think about how the probes are connected.

The best solution is to develop good habits. Unless you are in the middle of making a current measurement, always keep the probes connected to the voltage terminals.

The meter manufacturers usually design the meters to minimize the chances of errors. For instance, my Flukes go from the "off" position to the AC voltage position, then DC voltage, then low DC voltage, and then ohms. You can hook the probes to any voltage up to 600V without hurting the meter in the AC and DC voltage positions.

Reading the meter's manual always helps too.

There might be an argument for buying a cheap meter, with the thought that if you are going to kill a meter, it might as well be cheap. I think I'd argue for buying a good (but not great) meter, because it is designed to die in a way that doesn't harm the user.
As part of your education, you might find Dave Jone's primer on meters to be helpful....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1n_ELmpFI

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If by settings you mean properly choosing the right "type" of measurement (AC/DC/Amps/Ohms) but the wrong range (0.01,100,600,10k, etc) then an autoranging meter would be advised. If by Steve K's posts you are talking about error related to using the wrong "type" of measurement and wrong "holes" to plug the leads of the meter into them then you are going to have to invest in a lot more expensive meter as the budget "cheap" ones aren't idiot proof at all. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they often send out coupons for a FREE meter but you have to buy something else to get it (could be a 99 cent item even). I have a half dozen of these meters and they work well for most things I do and if I do something stupid and fry one I can toss it in the trash and grab another one. The fluke meters are more idiot proof for sure but cost a lot and even then it is possible for an idiot to fry one so idiots shouldn't be using them at all IMO it is like loaning a 100k Ferrari to a 12 year old kid who doesn't know how to drive and expect things will be ok, you wait till he is old enough to drive and then teach him on your old clunker that has more dents on it than a badly used golf ball before even letting him drive your newer $10k car.

ecmp

Newly Enlightened
Thank you!

Steve K - [emoji106] Awsome link! Crystal clear!
Lynx - yes, wrong type and wrong holes. Saw it happen with a seasoned electrical engineer checking out mains. El cheapo blew up, no one was hurt, and got me thinking ever since.