USB charging 18650 flashlight rec wanted

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to put together a touring setup for an Ice Adventure trike on the great divide mountain bike trail and could use some advice.

I was planning on using one Sturmey Archer dynamo hub. Output is 6 volt/3watt. It would output to something like the Busch and Muller E-Werk USB charger which takes hub output and has USB output and variable output voltages and amps (2.8 to 13.3 V). This will go to a battery bank of some sort.

I would also like to be able switch the output to an 18650 flashlight. My Jetbeam ST Cycler is great and I was wondering if there were any similar lights that had on board charging through a plug. A USB would be ideal since the E-Werk is already set up for this. I'd like to be able to leave it mounted and use as a headlight and simultaneously charge. Then unplug at night for use as a camp light.

I found one or two on Amazon but wanted to check with you guys about what you would recommend as a quality light with on-board USB charging. Robust, strobe, multiple light levels, good form factor like the Jetbeam.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tom

PS: This is the one I was looking at. No experience with Nitecore though.

Nitecore MH2C CREE XM-L U2 LED Rechargeable 800 Lumen

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you get the nitcore, be sure you get the XM-L2, not the XML... I don't know if that was a misprint, if it was ever made with an XML, or if it is old stock.

I'm not making a specific recommendation, but the Manker Quinlan U11 is a nice light and has a spring at both ends of the battery tube, which MAY be a consideration for a light that will get jostled a lot when attached to a handle bar.

Thrunite makes good lights, and you might take a look at the TC12.

Whatever you choose, don't let that be your only light. Not long ago I was told be a modder that the rechargeable aspect of a light has been the point of failure, in a few lights that were sent to him because they weren't working. He didn't mention any specific brands.

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I didn't know there were options to use the light while charging. That could come in handy.

terjee

Enlightened
While not an answer to your question (sorry about that), the Nitecore F1 could be interesting for your setup. I've ordered one, but have yet to test it. Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely, it's basically a cheap and small cradle for 18650s, and will both charge them, and also allow you to use 18650s as an USB power bank. Could be a nice addition to your setup, since it'd allow you to move power between 1860s and usb/power banks in either direction.