Lithium Ion cell phone battery

Capolini

Banned
Since this does not pertain to flashlights I thought I would put this here!

This is for my LG smart Phone battery. it is Lithium Ion like my flashlight batteries but I believe these are a bit different in terms of allowable discharge. The battery is part # BL-49JH. It is similar to my camcorder battery in shape, size and safe/allowable discharge.

This is my first smart phone,,lol!

Here is my question,the directions for the OEM replacement battery on Ebay state to cycle the battery at least 3 times before any concern of performance are raised.They also say TO COMPLETELY DISCHARGE THE BATTERY during these initial cycles.

SO, SHOULD I COMPLETELY DISCHARGE THIS BATTERY TO "0%" for at least 3 cycles?

This phone is only 3 days old and I charged it about 5 times. Oriiginally after setting up the phone was @ 20% upon initial charge and the other times ~ 55% to 65%.I have the 18650 mentality where I do not want to get the batteries too low,,although I know these are different in that regard,but HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?!

I believe the part about not reaching full potential until after several cycles are achieved. The second day I had it, it was @ 100%. I set it down, went in to obvious sleep mode and an hour later w/ no use at all it was @ 91%! To the best of my knowledge nothing was down loading.

Here is what they said below:

Lithium Ion Batteries have a shelf life of up to 10 years and with proper care, should last 12 – 24 months. All batteries should be charged when received and cycled at least 3 times before concerns about performance are raised. To cycle your battery, simply charge it fully and then discharge it completely. Cycling the battery helps it to reach its full potential capacity, especially after being shelved for a period of time.

ACTUALLY it may be too late to follow Ebays advice because I already have about 5 or 6 charge/discharge cycles!

I do NOT think I should discharge this battery 3 or 4 times to "0" %.....WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Thanks.............Capolini

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Did some research and this is what I believe:

One cycle is just one bout of discharging, but how much energy you discharge in one go—a measure referred to as depth of discharge (DoD)—matters bigtime. Lithium-ions really hate a deep depth of discharge. According to Battery University, a staggeringly exhaustive resource on the topic, a li-ion that goes through 100 percent DoD (the user runs it down all the way to zero before recharging) can degrade to 70 percent of its original capacity in 300-500 cycles. With a DoD of 25 percent, where the user plugs it in as soon as it gets to 75 percent remain, that same battery could be charged up to 2,500 times before it starts to seriously degrade.

A few other sources said the same basic thing while others said it is GOOD to drain it completely[just like Ebay seller info.] which I do not believe. I will stick w/ Battery University and others that follow their method.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything I have been reading about lithium batteries states discharge to specific values dictates the number of recycles.

I have not read that discharging completely and charging is battery maintenance.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Capolini,
ebay info is often WRONG...
ugh... people often report WRONG information.

I watched my son, have to use a power bank to get his phone through the day, because his battery was failing but he was waiting for the next greatest android phone that was delayed in being released.

From what I have learned, I would not discharge my LiIon cell completely. Regardless of the chemistry. I might be wrong.

You might find the discussion in this thread interesting and helpful for sustaining your battery's life.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...apacity-and-extending-cell-phone-battery-life

Good luck :)

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
I think they mean discharging the battery to the lowest battery level that the phone can still fully function at. Shown as 0% by the phone, but probably really somewhere around 3 volts in reality.