• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

PKDL Pass Around

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Paul Kim aka PK has asked me to do a Pass Around to spread the word about his products from his new company PKDL (PK DESIGN LAB).

A short history:
Once upon a time PK was the man largely responsible for numerous products coming out of the fabled company SureFire. The 6P we still find so enderaing along with the infamous M6 and a whole bunch of others.

He left SureFire and set out on his own. Since then he owns a consultant business where he designs products for other companies. Following his first love he also started a company where ideas are put into products with his personality involved. That company is called PKDL.

Those products consist of cutting edge technology being placed into flashlights and inkpens so far. Some are specially made PK versions of products by others. Some are exclusively his own. All have 2 goals in mind.
1) The best value possible while providing never done before ideas. One where the owner himself stands behind the product that is designed, engineered and built to the best standards. He stakes his reputation on each and everyone. He stands behind each product with his personal guarentee.
2) The personal protection aspect. These are not weapons. But are items that can make a difference between being accosted by a would-be attacker or not. Same as ordinary household items yet each has a distinctive flare designed to promote self confidence when walking through a parking garage late at night.

Some time ago I discovered his PK-FL2 LE flashlight. Well not being around bright flashlights very long I was impressed and said so. I came here looking for ways to improve lighting inside my car. Time has passed and I have become familiar with what is out there in this modern age of flashlights.
I personally find these PKDL products to be right up there with the best. I am in no way receiving any compensation for this. Not even free stickers. Nope, this thing is being done because I believe strongly in the products that PK has to offer. I know him personally and that is as far as it goes. I just want to share with the CPF community the products a personal friend of mine has to offer.

So with that said... here goes.

The following below is a copy and paste from a previous Pass Around. It is the potential standard by which all pass arounds should be guided.
Credit goes to member Mr. Mom.

"The required fine print.....

1. You must be a registered member of CPF for at least 6 months AND have 50 posts or be a CPF supporter.

2. You must be over 18 years old to participate.

3. This pass around is restricted to CONUS. You will be expected to ship the flashlight to the next participant using a USPS flat rate priority box with tracking number.

4. Post your interest here, in this thread, and then PM me with: (You will not be put on the list until I receive your PM!)
a. Forum Name
b. Full Real Name
c. Shipping Address
d. Email Address
e. Phone Number

5. You must post a photo of the light here, in this thread, as received. (Protects you.)

6. Keep the light for several days - maximum 14 days. Please feel free to use the light in what would be considered a normal manner. But remember that you are responsible for the light and if you break or damage it beyond what could, or would be normal wear and tear, you own it and replacement WILL be expected. Do not throw the light, use it as a hammer or pry bar, or subject it to any tests that could damage it. Do Not Modify The Light In Any Way!!!

7. Before shipping the light to the next person in line, please clean it up, wipe it off and in general make sure it is in good shape. Also be sure the batteries are not dead. If you run down the batteries, please be kind enough to pass the light on with fresh batteries.

8. Pack the light back up with everything that came with it, as packed by the manufacture for retail sale. PM the next person in line for their mailing address, include Bykfixer in the PM with shipping details and tracking number, and ship it out via USPS priority flat rate. The last person will return the products to Bykfixer.

9. Post here in this thread once the package has been shipped - PM the tracking number to Bykfixer.

10. Remember - once the light is in your possession, it is your responsibility until it leaves your possession. It is also your responsibility to make sure it makes it to the next person in the pass around in a timely manner. I've seen how you guys can eviscerate each other around here for not holding up your ends of bargains - don't be THAT guy that we read about in the Jeers thread!

11. And last, but certainly not least, please take a moment to take some photos and make some comments, reviews and improvement suggestions here in this thread regarding your experiences, impressions and opinions of the light. Good, Bad, Ugly... doesn't matter. We want YOUR feedback!

Are you a budding reviewer? Post your first one here!

We reserve the right to determine who can or cannot participate on a case by case basis. Those which do not follow the posted rules will be BANNED from all future passarounds.

To post photos so that they will appear directly on the page, not as clickable links, upload them to your free photo bucket account. From photo bucket, copy the URL titled "Direct link", there are four to chose from. On the CPF thread click on the picture icon "Insert Image" then paste the photo bucket URL which you copied.

Members with a CPF supporter subscription don't have to jump through all the URL hoops to post a photo. Your CPF supporter membership includes direct image upload permissions."

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This one will be for the roster.

Right now it looks like there will be 2 pass arounds going at the same time.

The lineup of products thus far will be:
- Foursevens Knight
- PK FL2 LE
- PK PR-1
- PK PL-2 black and silver
- PK TPE BK tactical pen & writing intrument EDC executive essential
- PKTP BK tactial pen and writing instrument.

The participants:
List 1; going out asap, approx 9/15
Edit: 9/11 package stuck in customs.
Will update as I know more.
1) eraursls1984
2) sgt253
3) mk2rocco
4) str8stroke
5) Bimmerboy

List 2; going out approx 10/15 (went out 10/11)
1) Scout24
2) Cazyeddiethefirst
3) Bdm82
4) Weld Inspector
5).brighterthathesun

I have it on good authority that the package will be heading my way next week.
I will post more when it arrives.

Now you will notice PK zip ties many of the products to the box.

For this one that is not practical to ask everybody to re-zip tie them. So the first recipient will receive an unopened package along with a bubble wrap sack to store it in for the next person. I would ask that when passing it on please place the light or pen in the bubble wrap and place that in the original packaging.

Like this.

Batteries will be supplied with the PR-1 and FL2. Knight comes with one from the factory.
Each PL-2 will have an Energizer Lithium Ultimate included.
Again it will be asked to ensure the package is passed on with a fresh fuel cell.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
'what's in the box' photo....

Left is #1, Right is #2

The specs: Note may need correcting later.

The FL-2;
- 650 lumens/1.5 hrs (on SureFire 123's), 20 lumens/46.0 hrs
- LED: CREE XML 6500k chromatic color
- Optic: micro mirror finish alluminum
- Lens: tempered and grinded Borofloat with anti reflective coating both sides
- Body: mil-spec alluminum, HA type 3, black
- Switch Conductors: silver nickel plated finish
- Weatherproof: IPX8, double o-ring and gaskets
- Bezel OD: 1.25"
- Total L: 5.0"
- Weight (empty) 5.7 oz
- Fuel: 2x CR123A or RCR123, or 16650
Notes: 1 year warranty against failures from normal use, and defects. Forward clicky witch has 20 second reset time or momentary for instant. Lockout tail cap. Accepts SureFire filters and tailcaps. 1000 made each individually numbered.

The PR-1;
- 360 lumens/1.2hrs, 100 lumens/8.6 hrs, 10 lumens/12.8 hrs. (Unknown which cell used)
- LED: CREE XM-L2 (bin unstated) 6500k chromatic color.
- Optic: aerospace grade 6061 cnc'd medium orange peel with vaporized chrome depositation. (Fancy talk for pretty accurate light to light)
- Lens: grinded and tempered Borofloat with anti reflective coat both sides.
- Body: aerospace grade 6061 CNC milled (head too) with electro polished and PVD coated to gloss black.
- 2 way pocket clip is 420 grade stainless steel with blue'd PVD coating.
- Weatherproofing: IPX7 with double o-rings and gaskets.
- Bezel OD: 1.0" (25.4mm)
- Total L: 3.21" (81.5 mm)
- Weight (empty): 1.9ox (53g)
- Fuel: 1x CR123A or RCR 123 or 16340 (490 lumen 1hr with unspecified RCR 123)
Notes: 1 year warranty against failures from normal use and defects.Forward clicky has 7 second reset time (may be edited) or instant momentary . Lock out tail cap. Accepts SureFire tailcap with adapter (coming soon)

The PL-2;
- 110 lumens/1.5hrs, 14 lumens/12.4 hrs (may be edited) using Energizer Ultimate Lithium
- LED: CREE XPG-R5 6500k chromatic color
- Optic: CNC'd aerospace 6061 light orange peel, vaporized chromatic depositation.
- Lens: tempered and grinded borofloat with anti reflective coating both sides.
- Weatherproofing: IPX8 double o-ring and gasket.
- Bezel OD: 0.6"
- Total L: 3.2"
- Weight (empty) 0.9oz
- Fuel: 1x triple A Alkaline, Lithium or Eneloop.
Notes:
Regulated for constant current, Reverse polarity protected, 1 year warranty against failure from normal use and defects. Switching is counter clock wise to on, then off, then low, then off. 10 second reset time (may be edited)

Foursevens Knight;
- 450 lumens/2hrs, 25 lumens/30hrs (using supplied foursevns CR123A) (note, high steps down)
Alternative output:
SOS- 450/3hrs
Strobe-450/6hrs
Medium-100/4hr
Beacon (H)- 450/9hr
Beacon (L)- 25/16hr
- LED: CREE XM-L2 (unstated bin), voltage 2.0-4.2 (may be edited)
- Optic: smooth alluminum (nothing else stated) spot is 17° 850mm at 3 m, flood is 90° 6300mm at 3m
- Lens: optical grade glass anti reflective coated both sides.
- Body: Aircraft Grade alluminum with HA type 3 coating (bezel as well)
- Weatherproofing: Not stated (but it's a PK so figure pretty good)
- Bezel OD: 0.9" (22.9mm) body OD, 0.78" (19.8mm)
- Total L: 2.4" (61mm)
- Weight (empty): 0.95oz (27g)
Fuel: Not stated (may be edited)
Notes: Regulated with reverse polarity protection. 2 hidden modes. Warranty not stated.

Edit Warrior 1 deleted from list.

I am working on the specs for the pens that come with Fischer cartridges. They are said to write on grease, wet paper and upside down. NASA uses Fischer pens on the space shuttle at zero gravity.

The PK TPE BK;
- Areospace grade 7075 alkuminum that has been electro polished and PVD coated.
- Removable cap exposes the black Fisher #SPR4 ball point cartridge that writes even upside down.
- The clip and tip on cap are super hard SUS chromed stainless steel with the tip of the cap embedded for maximum impact strength and force multiplication (sounds burely, huh?)
- Weight is 1.6oz and length is 5.75". Girth not specified.
Notes: the average person has 3.75" to 4" grip area and this pen provides equal distance past that at both ends. Ergonomically designed for maximum grip and writing comfort. ACME threads fasten the cartridge.

The PKTP BK;
- Areospace grade 7051 alluminum that was electro polished and HA type 3 annodized.
- Tips are super hard SUS 304 chromed stainless steel. Embedded to maximize impact strength and force multiplication.
- No pocket clip
- Rotates to expose black Fisher #SPR4 ball point cartridge which writes even upside down.
- Length is 5.75" and weight is 1.6oz. Girth is 1.25" at the broadest point.
Notes: 500 made in black and in Coyote. ACME threads fasten the cartridge. Ergonomically designed for maximum grip and writing comfort.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Cool deal! I was fortunate enough to participate in a PK passaround earlier this year for the Warriors, I'd love the chance to check out the PK-PR1. :) PM inbound.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Clarification post.

Since starting this thread I learned that PK has some other stuff available by popular demand. He has asked me to handle that part. So I will probably set up as a Vendor to pass along those items.

Right now the list is:
PR-1;
- 550 lumen 1 setting thrower bezel
- Tailstanding tailcap
- Beefier belt clip.
- Lanyard ring and lanyard.
And other items to be announced when the time is right.

Details are still forthcoming. There will be other items added as well.
But again this would be to help out a personal friend and ensure the folks in the community who've asked for improvements can have access to them early on in the development process of the PR-1 and PL-2.

Edit:
When this thing is done the products will be sold at half price with 100% of the $ going to help wounded vets. Details are forthcoming in that regard. But PK stated he wants to give back to those who help preserve our freedom. Woohoo!!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Kudos to bykfixer for taking this "Learning Opportunity" on. Yay!

Is there something I should know? lol.

Actually I'm doing this in order to decide if I can figure out the UI of that foursevens without buying it first.

If so I'll add one to my collection.

Pete, I'll see if there's a way to hook ya up somehow.

Eraursls, you're the first to go. Thanks for participating.
Now if I can just spell it correctly.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eraursls, you're the first to go. Thanks for participating.
Now if I can just spell it correctly.
Thanks. Everyone has a hard time with it, but it's just my name intertwined.
E_A_R_L
_R_U_S_S

That Foursevens is most interesting to me of all his products, but his small PR-1 is as well just because of the following it has here.

DK Demand Lab

Newly Enlightened
Kudos to bykfixer for taking this "Learning Opportunity" on. Yay!

+1

I don't qualify for this one due to low seniority but this is an interesting event.
I have half of the PKDL products so I won't be too sad..
I, too, might add Foursevens PK Knight to my collection in the future though..

Good luck and looking forward to interesting reviews!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks. Everyone has a hard time with it, but it's just my name intertwined.
E_A_R_L
_R_U_S_S

That Foursevens is most interesting to me of all his products, but his small PR-1 is as well just because of the following it has here.

Ha! I see it now. My son twisted letters in his email address and I screw that up too. One fellow cussed at me pretty good after a few erronious emails.

+1

I don't qualify for this one due to low seniority but this is an interesting event.
I have half of the PKDL products so I won't be too sad..
I, too, might add Foursevens PK Knight to my collection in the future though..

Good luck and looking forward to interesting reviews!

There was a PK pass around based on a powertac warrior pair that I wanted to enter but like you, the seniority was an issue.
By the time it was over I had tenure. Yet had one of my own based on input from the thread.

I want as many people as practical involved so the roster may be adjusted if folks are interested.

These products (as you know DK) are something that handling personally gives a whole new perspective on.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't hit the 6 month requirement until November, but if this is still going at this time - or you adjust the requirements - I'd love to see what the PK lights are all about. I own lights from I think 12 different makers, plus a couple V54s, but have never tried PK. The entry point on price has kept me from jumping... so I'd love to try PK lights out to see what I'm missing.

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff mr fixer and PK :cool: really intrigued over this thrower head and tail standing tail cap. Makes me wonder about having interchangeable heads for throw or flood......

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
im stoked for this passaround to begin!! cant wait to see some feedback. I got to say the enthusiasm by both bykfixer and the photon king in the other thread has become infectious.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
im stoked for this passaround to begin!! cant wait to see some feedback. I got to say the enthusiasm by both bykfixer and the photon king in the other thread has become infectious.

I am honored to be a part of history in the making.
Things are unfolding behind the scenes at PKDL and we aint seen nuthin' yet.