laterns on nimh?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It depends on the current demands. On high it may be the NIMH will have longer runtime but more often than not Lanterns don't have regulation when alkaline batteries are used and alkalines continually reduce in voltage over a wide range till nothing while NIMH will keep a smaller range of voltage as they deplete and finally give up.
Essentially you can get more runtime from NIMH when a very high current demand is needed, you can get less runtime but more "useful" brighter almost regulated output from NIMH or if you don't mind output dropping to half.. then 1/4... then 1/8 as the alkalines deplete you can get more runtime on lower modes that favor alkaline batteries.

I think you will have to identify the lantern you are using before an answer can be given more precisely.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
It depends on the current demands. On high it may be the NIMH will have longer runtime but more often than not Lanterns don't have regulation when alkaline batteries are used and alkalines continually reduce in voltage over a wide range till nothing while NIMH will keep a smaller range of voltage as they deplete and finally give up.
Essentially you can get more runtime from NIMH when a very high current demand is needed, you can get less runtime but more "useful" brighter almost regulated output from NIMH or if you don't mind output dropping to half.. then 1/4... then 1/8 as the alkalines deplete you can get more runtime on lower modes that favor alkaline batteries.
wow that's so cool I'm excited I send so much money on batteries i ordered 12 of the batts above. i like to run lights on high but cant afford to use alks any more

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
wow that's so cool I'm excited I send so much money on batteries i ordered 12 of the batts above. i like to run lights on high but cant afford to use alks any more

Now I don't endorse that brand of battery personally, I know nothing about it beware they could be exaggeration on capacity. Also finding a charger for them could be some work unless you already have one as these larger capacity cells don't often charge fast or complete on some chargers.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
which batteries d you recommend?

You would probably have to search for threads on NIMH D cells or get someone who has used them a lot to chime in on that the only brand I can recall hearing about is Turnigy right off and not sure how good that they are I think some company makes LSD NIMH D cells.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would probably have to search for threads on NIMH D cells or get someone who has used them a lot to chime in on that the only brand I can recall hearing about is Turnigy right off and not sure how good that they are I think some company makes LSD NIMH D cells.
I think you mean Tenergy. Turnigy is a Chinese quasi off brand of RC gear. When I was searching the forum on this a little more than a month ago Tenergy and Powerex seemed to be the recommended cells. Both make LSD cells. I saw references to the Tenergy Centura having lower internal resistance than the Powerex Immedion, but the links were to a site that's no long there.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think you mean Tenergy. Turnigy is a Chinese quasi off brand of RC gear. When I was searching the forum on this a little more than a month ago Tenergy and Powerex seemed to be the recommended cells. Both make LSD cells. I saw references to the Tenergy Centura having lower internal resistance than the Powerex Immedion, but the links were to a site that's no long there.

You are correct.... I didn't quite remember it has been years since I read a thread about them people using them in Mag D cell lights with the shower head drop ins. I think the big turn off for me was having to buy a charger and pay $40 for a set of 4 batteries if you wanted 2 sets that would be $80 and perhaps $40 for the charger so $120 to have rechargeable solution for a 4D lantern costing $40... the math didn't jive with my budget.

Last edited:

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
I use Tenergy Centura, which are great 8000 mAh LSD cells but they also have Tenergy Premium which are higher capacity at 10,000 mAh (albeit non-LSD). There is also an older Tenergy battery with a blue wrapper which you can still find on amazon, but I think the newer cells out-perform them by far.

Powerex also has both types; the black ones (older version was called Imedion, still available on amazon) are 9500 mAh LSD cells and the white ones are 11,000 mAh (non-LSD). I'm sure they're great batteries, but the increase in capacity didn't outweigh the higher price for my purposes.

I wish Sunlabz still made D cells. I really like their C cells. :(

I admit I don't know much about these EBL batteries, but 10,000 mAh AND LSD? I'm a bit dubious. They're probably just fine, but I wonder if the capacity might be a bit exaggerated?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the big turn off for me was having to buy a charger and pay $40 for a set of 4 batteries if you wanted 2 sets that would be $80 and perhaps $40 for the charger so $120 to have rechargeable solution for a 4D lantern costing $40... the math didn't jive with my budget.
I agree. I avoided NiMH D cells for years, but finally decided to bite last month. Mostly because I wanted to do a big comparison review of lanterns, many of which are D cell powered, and I lacked the desire to dump a pile of money in Alkaleak D Cells, and I knew a few of the high performance lanterns would pull too much current to perform on them. But, the initial "investment" is a big pill to swallow.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree. I avoided NiMH D cells for years, but finally decided to bite last month. Mostly because I wanted to do a big comparison review of lanterns, many of which are D cell powered, and I lacked the desire to dump a pile of money in Alkaleak D Cells, and I knew a few of the high performance lanterns would pull too much current to perform on them. But, the initial "investment" is a big pill to swallow.

Personally I would be more interested in going to walmart and buying a pair of spring top SLA batteries they now sell and use them instead of nimh D cells and use them outside of the lantern it would be a lot cheaper investment.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would be more interested in going to walmart and buying a pair of spring top SLA batteries they now sell and use them instead of nimh D cells and use them outside of the lantern it would be a lot cheaper investment.
Maybe, but it seems impractical to have an external battery pack. Also, AFAIK, smallish SLA batteries don't tend to like high current loads, nor deep cycling. The 1000lm Coleman CPX lantern I tested drew over 6A on high with 5V connected to the battery terminals. The SLA CPX battery pack Coleman sells is all of 2.6Ah. If it actually has low enough internal resistance to keep itself at 5V (from the nominal 6V) with a 6A load on it you'll get what 26 minutes on high?

Of course I'd still argue that if you want a LOT of light for a long time liquid fueled lanterns are the way to go.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Maybe, but it seems impractical to have an external battery pack. Also, AFAIK, smallish SLA batteries don't tend to like high current loads, nor deep cycling. The 1000lm Coleman CPX lantern I tested drew over 6A on high with 5V connected to the battery terminals. The SLA CPX battery pack Coleman sells is all of 2.6Ah. If it actually has low enough internal resistance to keep itself at 5V (from the nominal 6V) with a 6A load on it you'll get what 26 minutes on high?

Of course I'd still argue that if you want a LOT of light for a long time liquid fueled lanterns are the way to go.

I love fueled lanterns but hate mantles. on my northstart they are like 3 bucks

Cabeceira

Newly Enlightened
fueled lanterns are the best. this is the conclusion of this post. am I right??

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I seriously doubt a lantern that is designed to run off alkalines will require more current than an SLA can supply if it does then the runtime is like you equate..... dismal to begin with meaning the "high" mode isn't worth using much. The advantage of an external pack is cost. If you can buy 2 SLAs for $15 vs 8 NIMH D's for $80 and get a charger for them for probably half the price or less runtime may be lower but the investment is a LOT more sensible.
I agree liquid fuel lanterns are in no way obsoleted for medium to high output levels (300 lumens+) as fuel is cheaper than alkalines and runtime surpasses any battery solution available. The only thing batteries have that is better is cost/runtime using rechargeables using alkalines it may be a tossup or a nod to fuel power. I still have a dual fuel coleman twin mantle lantern I never use to in a pinch I can drain unleaded out of my gas tank and power it for a month off a half tank of gas.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I seriously doubt a lantern that is designed to run off alkalines will surpass require more current than an SLA can supply if it does then the runtime is like you equate..... dismal to begin with meaning the "high" mode isn't worth using much. The advantage of an external pack is cost. If you can buy 2 SLAs for $15 vs 8 NIMH D's for $80 and get a charger for them for probably half the price or less runtime may be lower but the investment is a LOT more sensible.
I agree liquid fuel lanterns are in no way obsoleted for medium to high output levels (300 lumens+) as fuel is cheaper than alkalines and runtime surpasses any battery solution available. The only thing batteries have that is better is cost/runtime using rechargeables using alkalines it may be a tossup or a nod to fuel power. I still have a dual fuel coleman twin mantle lantern I never use to in a pinch I can drain unleaded out of my gas tank and power it for a month off a half tank of gas.
I want that toehr brand if I recall its like a 500 watt bulb but man what a pain to light I think brylite makes it

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I want that toehr brand if I recall its like a 500 watt bulb but man what a pain to light I think brylite makes it
not familiar with it.... that is one reason I don't much care for fuel lanterns I only need light for myself and they can at times be hard to light plus replacing the mantles is a pain and the pumping up the pressure on them is no fun either. I haven't used my fuel lantern since the late 80s when a group of kids drove recklessly knocking out 5 power poles and it took 3 days to get power restored. With todays LED lanterns all but group lighting can be done with lower outputs 200 lumens in LED fashion takes about half the power that fluorescent lighting does and fluorescent lighting takes 1/5 the power of incans.
I remember when 80 lumens in an LED lantern was great and 200 was the bomb now the bomb is 500 and 100 can be done by a keychain light.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I recalled my first led light the other day don't recall its name but it was yellow plastic and took 4 aa batts some reason dorcy turtle comes to mind

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I recalled my first led light the other day don't recall its name but it was yellow plastic and took 4 aa batts some reason dorcy turtle comes to mind
Yeah... in some ways LEDs have gotten to the point that it is too easy to get enough light for enough time and cost to run it cheap enough. I used to cherish my flashlight and lantern times now I can run them day and night for next to nothing off rechargeable batteries that don't cost too much. My favorite light in the 80s was a 6D 6watt fluorescent lantern with incan spotlight and flashing red/orange lights that also ran off 12v dc input. Now we have AA lights that match its usefulness and are a lot brighter if needed or dimmer when needed to save power.

Last edited:

Latest posts