XTAR Moon RC2 "Lantern"- Review/Overview

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone. XTAR finally came through! I'm posting this review to flashlights too since it isn't really a "flashlight" and it isn't totally a lantern or signaling light.
What it does have are five LED emitters and light comes out. :laughing: I really like how multi-purpose it is.

Light provided by XTAR.

Reviewed: September 8, 2016
(720p resolution in Youtube)

Moon RC2 Specs:

qPHY5jG.jpg

A great lantern/light overall. One thing I didn't say in the video is that I think the mode changing is a little weird. It starts in the "low" 30 lumen mode which is good, but then goes to high, then mid, then "moonlight". You have to cycle though ALL the modes to turn it off and honestly I think it should start in the lowest and just go all the way to the highest mode. Also there is a strobe mode, but it doesn't have a slower blinking mode which is kind of strange for a light like this. I think they either should have changed out the strobe for a blinking "beacon" mode or put in several blinking/strobe modes. The strobe mode is super bright and noticeable, but is probably overkill 95 percent of the time for a friendly beacon type light like this. I say this because from using this light even the 3 lumen mode makes you very visible. Therefore the 120 lumen fast strobe mode is almost disorienting up close. I guess it would work on the back of a bike, but it might be too distracting even for other motorists. It's not a huge deal overall.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's sealed so it's a really easy use light for pretty much anybody these days as long as you know how to use some type of micro usb charger. Pretty simple so it might be a nice gift light. 18650 light for dummies. You can use a low power (which is what it says to use) 5V/1A phone charger so it's not hard to find places to charge it for sure. It comes with a micro usb cable, but no actual charger which is okay. I guess it would have been nice, but you can charge this so many places that it's not really necessary.

I think I'll ask XTAR if it's safe to use this with higher power USB chargers or if that would fry it. Does it have circuitry to use higher voltage/amperage charging sources? I don't know. I assume it shouldn't matter, but I'm not sure.

I like the overall feel of the entire light. It's smooth and slick which almost makes it seem toy-like, but not in a bad way. It's built to high standards. I think it has a "friendly" look to it compared to the legions of hard black anodized lights with aggressive bezels.

IPX6 water rating so you can get it wet in rain, but don't submerge it.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. I guess that is a very long term concern for a light like this. Of course you could probably use it for years and years before that happens, but they do need to make lights with changeable 18650s, but that are not meant to be removed most of the time and usually charged by usb/external power. There are some lights like this already.