Lifestraw

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one but haven't used it yet. I later came across the Sawyer mini and have used that camping in the past however. It is smaller and can go inline with my Camelbak so I decided to use it instead.

Sadden

Enlightened
Im partial to something with more capacity, I like the Katadyn units with ceramic inserts myself

Cabeceira

Newly Enlightened
  • Lightweight--only 56 grams (or 2 ounces)
  • Uses hollow fibre microfiltration technology
  • Purifies a minimum of 1000 litres (264 gallons) of water
  • Removes virtually all bacteria (99.9999 percent) and protozoan parasites (99.9 percent) that can contaminate water, including giardia
  • Reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering particulate matter larger than 0.2 microns
  • Made of durable plastic
  • Chemical-free
  • Doesn't require electrical power, batteries or replacement parts–it's powered by user-generated suction

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several filtered devices but I have not used one yet. I find it better to have one and not need it than the other way. I camped in the Boundary waters but brought enough water to drink but used lake water if I had something to cook at the boiling point. I have read too many "tales" of getting giardia from consuming lake water and getting Montezumas Revenge from critters taking a dump in the lake

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
Sawyer mini is way better that the life straw filters better and it can be cleaned fits a 20 Oz bottle top and has the pouch

All day better than the life straw don't waste your money and buy a temporary filter the sawyer since it's cleanable is rated for 100,000 gallons

Sadden

Enlightened
Even the massive ceramic element in my Katadyn Pocket is only rated for 50,000 litres.. Im extremley dubious that the tiny little element in a 2oz filter can hold up tonthe 100,000 gallon claim...