New design AmazonBasics high capacity NiMh AA's ?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon title says, packaging may vary. I'm guess that means they still have some old stock along with the new packaging. Looks like the cell is the same from the specs, but maybe country of origin changed. One would need to get the cells in hand as the descriptions are not reliable. It's very possible that these are new gen 5 cells since once the factories change I suspect even the rebranded ones change. For marketing reasons they may not quote the higher specs and there is little change anyway.

The eneloop sticky does not seem to be uptodate with Gen 5 cells based on what is showing up on the packages, last I checked there were some discrepancies.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Listing: 12 pack of AA (Double A) Panasonic eneloop High Charge retention LSD NI-MH Rechargeable Batteries. 2100 charge cycles

Manufacture's Part Number:
BK-3MCCA

The only way to be sure these are the absolute newest batteries is to buy them un-packaged so the date stamp can be verified. Each individual battery is labeled with a manufacture date, the model number and made in Japan. These are brand new, perfect pre-charged and ready to deliver a decade of power for hi-performance battery applications . The best Panasonic eneloop are manufactured in japan 2-3 times a year at the original Sanyo factory that launched the eneloop in 2005. With every manufacture run the battery improves a little bit and a little bit resulting in continual improvement

There are officially 5 generations of the standard eneloop each one a little better than the last. The Milliamp hour rating has stayed the same at 1900mAh minimum | 2000mAh typical but the charge cycles have increase from 1000 to 1500 to 1800 and a few years ago 2100 cycles.

The 2100 cycles marks the 4th generation and the 5th generation is identified by an increase in the long term storage rating from 85% after one year/ and 70% after five years to holding 90% of its charge after 1 year in storage and 70% after 10 years."

As close to the source as we're probably gonna get:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-pack-Pan...468416?hash=item4adfcf0d40:g:hoUAAOSw9NdXwlOb

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Well, I looked closely, and they still say Made in Japan. The design of the normal-capacity ones has also changed... they are now black while the high-capacity ones are now grey. But they are all still made in Japan, as is stated on the cells themselves. You just have to look at all the pics they have from the cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chart at the bottom of the Amazon cell page.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...-49a3-83b6-4931ee46be50.png._CB306323338_.png

Not so good charge retention for a ver 5.

Remember, the Hi-Cap FDK/Eneloops don't have the same SOC retention after X, Y or Z years, that the Standard FDK/Eneloops have. That extra capacity seems to come at a price and that price is in capacity, total cycles and I.R. (internal resistance) buildup over time.

I and others here have said that Hi-Caps do have their place in one's quiver, but there are definitely trade offs, so choose accordingly.

My link above speaks to only Gen. 5 Standard FDK/Eneloops.

Chris

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 16 high-capacity AmazonBasics in February of 2015 and used them regularly (about 1 cycle every two weeks) until about 3 weeks ago, when they started dropping like flies with high internal resistance. Towards the end they were only accepting about 1800mAh of charging, too.

2 months before I bought the "Amaloop Pros" I had already purchased and put into service 16 Duracell Ion Core high capacity NiMH (December '14); both of these cells were/are believed to be rebadged Eneloop Pros. All 32 cells ("Duraloop Pros" and "Amaloop Pros") performed identically until the end, with the Duracells going first by about a week. My monitoring and charging was done with Maha C9000's.

I never bought actual Eneloop Pros due to a shift in my financial priorities :)D), but I would like to believe that actual Eneloop Pros would have lasted much, much longer. As Chris says, different horses for different courses.

brokenmonitor

Newly Enlightened
Interesting design change. I used to be a fan of these but had since settled on the Pana Eneloops. They seem to last the best over the long term. Almost anything does well the first year...