SF teardrop e-type bezel lens size

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a SF teardrop e-type bezel off the bay, which is missing the lens. This is fine because I wanted to install Phaseburn's diffuser film behind the lens anyway. Now I need to get and install a replacement lens and I wonder if anyone knows the diameter, thickness and possibly a source from where a replacement lens could be purchased?

Thanks!

toastystuff

Enlightened
Uh oh I'm sorry to give you bad news but to my knowledge those lenses are somewhat unobtanium...maybe a custom one can be made.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh oh I'm sorry to give you bad news but to my knowledge those lenses are somewhat unobtanium...maybe a custom one can be made.
Thanks for the info toastystuff! I am not surprized at all, but I actually don't really need an original replacement lens. Just want to order a 3rd party replacement from an optical shop so that I have it by the time the head is in my mail box. That is why I need to know the diameter and thickness

m4a1usr

Enlightened
The good news is the size is well known. Diameter is 22mm an its 1.6mm thick. The bad news is finding a direct replacement is literally impossible. The closest size lens that has potential is one that is a replacement for the mini mag. It's diameter is darn close to perfect (just a tad larger) but is much thinner. 1.6mm for the original Vs .88mm for the replacement.

Worse of all to install one properly, you will need to make a special seating tool. I made mine from delrin and nylon. It's designed to be used in a vise and seats the lens up against the flat seal located in the head.

Flaslightlens does not carry the right thickness lens and from a lot of searching I'm unable to find anyone who does. I did find a source for glass that will fit and pondered using Norrland to seal it in place but haven't taken any action on that method.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The good news is the size is well known. Diameter is 22mm an its 1.6mm thick. The bad news is finding a direct replacement is literally impossible. The closest size lens that has potential is one that is a replacement for the mini mag. It's diameter is darn close to perfect (just a tad larger) but is much thinner. 1.6mm for the original Vs .88mm for the replacement.

Worse of all to install one properly, you will need to make a special seating tool. I made mine from delrin and nylon. It's designed to be used in a vise and seats the lens up against the flat seal located in the head.

Flaslightlens does not carry the right thickness lens and from a lot of searching I'm unable to find anyone who does. I did find a source for glass that will fit and pondered using Norrland to seal it in place but haven't taken any action on that method.

You can call flashlight lens to see if he can custom make one. He charges by the millimeter for custom stuff and his prices are awesome for that sorta thing. Heck he may make a batch to ensure there's a supply out there.

I enquired about the new Mag twistys and he ended up doing a whole lineup of lenses for those.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys!

I checked the flashlight lens site, they do make a lot of different lenses, so I am going to buy some for other lights as well, for example for my HDS (wanted to try the diffused lens there). They do make custom ones but only acrylic. On the other hand, I am going to use the light with 10-50 lm bulbs so the heat is not a concern.

m4a1usr, I wonder what exactly do you need this seating tool for?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
m4a1usr, I wonder what exactly do you need this seating tool for?

That's a great question! It's forces the plastic lens into the seating groove inside the head with evenly distributed force around the lens outer circumference. You don't want to apply all of the pressing force across the entire lens. The result will be a shattered lens. I got a pic somewhere and I'll post it a little later. My first attempt was using a tool that was 21mm in dia and flat. After shattering my first lens it dawned on me that it needed to allow some "doming" or flexing of the lens as it passed the retaining lip in the head. After I made a relief cut on my pressing tool it allowed that. And the lens didn't shatter. You could probably just use a piece of tubing providing it was sized properly. My worry was deforming the acrylic as the insertion force increased. Hence the need to use a pressing tool to keep the forces as uniform or even during the seating process.

It should make a "snaping" or clicking sound as it seats. That's another reason to use a vise to press the lens in. If your pounding it in with a rubber mallet or some form of impact force I doubt you will hear it seat. No need to keep applying force if you have it seated. And you will want to inspect the lens to ensure it is pressed evenly against the flat O-ring. Otherwise the seal wont be waterproof.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard of people using either a dime or a penny, I can't remember which, on top of a cushioning device (like nylon) in order to press fit it in place. I think a dime would be best. Maybe Surefire has some spare lens replacement kits laying around, it doesn't hurt to email or call and find out. I don't remember what the number is of the lens replacement kit. Z19 or Z21 or something.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually, I did what I had wanted to do for a long time. I put the diffuser extracted from one of my unused F04 beam shapers in place of the missing lens to this bezel. This diffuser was too thin so I put an o-ring first. I am very pleased about the result. I was always unhappy that an F04 obscurred the spill making it more narrow. Now I have the great wide spill of an e1 combined with a smooth spot inherent to the F04.

And yes, I had to dremel the diffuser, it took about 15 minutes

https://i.imgur.com/emNXICG.jpg

Last edited: