Streamlight Siege knockoff

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFL... oh you silly Chinese where completely ripping off everything and anything stands as you'll probably get away with it.
I just was reading how even luxury car brands are blatantly ripped off in China and it's really hard for outside countries/companies to do anything about it.

Great price though lol. Do you own a Siege? Do the insides look basically the same with a clear dome over the emitters? Are their specs given for the output?
I kind of want one... I'd update my Siege review or do a completely separate comparison between them :)

The Fonus Light from Vodiy? Hmm... sounds legit! This is like the Ganzo and Cima knives that are literally close to perfect copies of 150-200 dollar knives, but one tenth the price. Sure the quality isn't quite as good and they are using much cheaper steels/etc. But I'll still buy it if it saves me 120 buck off the real thing and is 90 percent as good. Does that make me a bad consumer and continue the cycle of knock off brands? Probably...

Last edited:

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
You guys really think it's a knock-off? I was wondering if it wasn't just made by another company who also makes them for Streamlight? Favourlight makes a lot of lanterns for other companies and I see a lot of lanterns on Amazon which look suspiciously like each other. It's something of a common practice, I suppose.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that's true. Could just be completely re-branded to sell it at a cheaper price. Who knows. Maybe they sold the design or something and the company that actually makes them (I'm assuming in China) essentially made the same thing, but in a different color. That could be very likely as almost every detail is close to the same. If that is true it shows how much consumers really are paying for name branded products.

How much cheaper would Fenix lights be if they were sold as Foenex Lighting Tools? ;)

dalegribble

Newly Enlightened
Here is a few more pics, the vodiys lens is cloudy.

The tops and bottoms mate up perfectly. Even looks like the same streamlight font.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
I guess that's true. Could just be completely re-branded to sell it at a cheaper price. Who knows. Maybe they sold the design or something and the company that actually makes them (I'm assuming in China) essentially made the same thing, but in a different color. That could be very likely as almost every detail is close to the same. If that is true it shows how much consumers really are paying for name branded products.

How much cheaper would Fenix lights be if they were sold as Foenex Lighting Tools? ;)
Could be that the "A grade" components go into the Streamlight lantern and the "B grade" components go into the cheaper one? :shrug:

Poppy

Flashaholic
It looks like the center LED is different.

Martin,
It is quite possible.
There was a factory nearby that made points, condensers, coils, and distributor caps for cars. If the outer casing of the condenser was discolored, it went into a bin, that would get packaged for the Pep Boys. The others would get packaged for Sears. At the end of the day, if there weren't enough discolored ones, Pep Boys would get some shiny ones too.

The internals were the same.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup looks like the Fonus uses just one probably larger cree emitter. Maybe the rest of the XM-L emitters floating around wind up in lights like this. Shouldn't be too hard to keep cool if it only goes to 350 lumens or so. Should be very diffuse though as the plastic "lens" over the emitter is cloudy too unlike the clear Siege one.

Goodmak

Newly Enlightened
Let us know how it holds up. Just purchased the Siege and it helped tremendously with the storm we just had in Fl.

dalegribble

Newly Enlightened
Ran it for about 3 hours this weekend, mostly kept on the lower 175 lumen setting, I am impressed so far with the output and build. Only thing I am not a fan of is the interface, you have to cycle through all the modes to turn it off or hold the button down. I'll be camping in about 2 weeks excited to see how it holds up then. Anyone else pick one up?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pick this up in a second if it didn't use regular D batteries. If only it was USB rechareable or something.
Also, did any of you guys notice the "customers who bought this also bought" items? WTF!!!!!!!!!!! The most random bunch of items ever assembled! lol

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ran it for about 3 hours this weekend, mostly kept on the lower 175 lumen setting, I am impressed so far with the output and build. Only thing I am not a fan of is the interface, you have to cycle through all the modes to turn it off or hold the button down. I'll be camping in about 2 weeks excited to see how it holds up then. Anyone else pick one up?

Interesting I think the Siege will cycle then after 2 seconds will turn off with just one press. How is the red mode on the not-Siege?

Yeah, adirondackdestroyer, USB charging would be nice. I use NiMh in my Siege, but I don't know if any D cell lights/lanterns even exist that could charge NiMh D cells in the light with USB. I'd assume not since most people would be using alkaline D cells in the light.

dalegribble

Newly Enlightened

dalegribble

Newly Enlightened
I would pick this up in a second if it didn't use regular D batteries. If only it was USB rechareable or something.
Also, did any of you guys notice the "customers who bought this also bought" items? WTF!!!!!!!!!!! The most random bunch of items ever assembled! lol
Update. the original light is no longer available, from amazon at least, but mine is holding up great. There is a rechargeable version available under a different name. I just ordered one, will see how it goes
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HMDP7UA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

VA Ranger

Newly Enlightened
Update. the original light is no longer available, from amazon at least, but mine is holding up great. There is a rechargeable version available under a different name. I just ordered one, will see how it goes
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HMDP7UA/?tag=cpf0b6-20[/QUOTE

I saw that one. How's it working out for you? I did notice that the battery for the knockoff (3600mah) is considerably smaller than the Seiges (8800mah).

There's this one with a 6000mah battery: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEUHFC8/?tag=cpf0b6-20