MecArmy PT16 lumens

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Does the MecArmy PT16 actually give out 1000 lumens or is it significantly less than that? Has anyone done any testing on it?

Thanks guys!

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have any testing equipment, however I have at least a dozen or more lights that are 1,000 Lumens or greater and in my personal opinion, yes it does. The newer version 3 of the PT16 can take both 16340 and 18350 cells, which can sustain the turbo output longer.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
What is the throw like? Is it fairly floody? I have a friend who owns the fenix rc11 and I have been debating that one, the PT16 or the Olight S1R

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
What is the throw like? Is it fairly floody? I have a friend who owns the fenix rc11 and I have been debating that one, the PT16 or the Olight S1R
Did you go for either? The PT16 and the S1R are my toss up too...mecarmy winning at the mo due to longer turbo time and micro usb charger...

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
How long is the PT16? I just bought the Olight S Mini and I love it but more lumens would be pretty nice as well as USB charging.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
09-17-2016 Does the MecArmy PT16 actually give out 1000 lumens

yes
I just bought one from illumn and it accepts an 18350, and puts out over 1200 lumens, although I can't hold the light for more than a minute without it getting too hot. It is a very cute little beast, same length as an AAA flashlight, 3x heavier, with 3x as many LEDs ;-). Note it has no pocket clip and no moonlight, the oLight has both of those

friendly tease
dude, in 3 more months it will have been a year since you started asking about the Pt16

also see:;-)
Google Loves You

06-10-2017 How long is the PT16?

Google Lives!

theres also a pic of an olight and pt here:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45021

and here is one of my Maratac, PT16 and i3s, :)
35247855845_2eb32eb895_b.jpg

the latest PT16 has a nice UI, and is on sale at illumn for 30% off with code blacknovember.. this might be a good time to spend some money :)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been happily carrying a PT16 with both 4000k and 3000k high CRI mods
The PT16 actually bumped my 3000k and 4000k modded Copper Maratacs that Ive been carrying for over 2 years, out of my pocket..
I want to complete my PT lineup with a high CRI 5000k option

does this mean I can now consider buying a Copper PT16 too?

I definitely have a thing for copper, that's one heavy little stubby
theres a Ti version too:

Last edited:

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
@jon_slider I know this is an especially late response but I did just order the MecArmy PT16. I purchased an Olight S1 Mini (and limited S Mini Ti) which I can carry when at work. If the PT16 isn't too bulky in my pocket I may just carry it all the time.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats on your new lights :)

Im also exploring the Copper S Mini option.. here is a size reference
38303009444_a1ecb91736_b.jpg

here is that trio, with their present state of modifications
L to R, 3000k w 1/4-green, 4000k w 1/8 minus green, and the stock green tinted 6000k low CRI Cu S Mini (not pictured is the 1/2-green filter Ive added to the S Mini to reduce the Green Tint.., still not ideal though, low CRI still makes red things look brown)
38132538875_27d469f837_b.jpg

the Low CRI of the S Mini is a problem I would like to solve.. not sure what High CRI LED to pick yet, since the XM-L2 TIR is not Nichia compatible.

one of the good things about the PT16 is that it IS Nichia compatible..

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully I am mistaken but I was under the impression that the D4 didn't have USB charging ?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully I am mistaken but I was under the impression that the D4 didn't have USB charging ?

true,
PT16 has built in USB charging, D4 does not
the D4 uses PWM, the PT16 does not.
the PT16 has discrete, repeatable, lumen levels, the D4 does not
Neither the D4 nor the PT16 come stock with High CRI LEDs
Neither has over discharge protection built into the light
The PT16 ships with a Protected 16340
the D4 is "better" if you want a light that can start a fire
the D4 is not better for me.. I don't need thousands of Low CRI lumens for a few seconds
I would not lend a D4 to a child, it can get dangerously hot
the D4 is for high lumen lovers that don't mind living dangerously, using unprotected batteries
If you do decide to use unprotected batteries.. such as IMR 18350, they also work in the PT16

If I had to choose between a PT16 and a D4, to lend to a child, I would not choose the D4
If I wanted a light that could burn a hole in my pants when it turns on accidentally on memory for a very hot high mode, the D4 is better
The PT16 always turns on in low mode first, this will not work to accidentally set my pants on fire.
I can use the triple click to strobe on my PT16, to signal traffic when I cross the street. The D4 has no strobe.

btw, there is now a protected 16340 battery available that uses the same usb charging module that is built into the PT16. on right is the protected battery that comes with the PT16. These new USB chargeable batteries are shipping with the 0light S1 Mini and the Klarus Mi1c. They all come from the same factory but 0light Klarus and Fenix all sell a version with their own wrapper
24456190517_3ed46c87ce_b.jpg

Both 0light and Klarus lights mentioned are available in Copper as well as Titanium, and can be had for about 30% off, from various deal sources.. such as M4DM4X.com that ship from China. Illumn.com still has stock of the 0lights too, and their blacknovember code still works.

Last edited:

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the excellent summary of the advantages/disadvantages. Someday it might be fun to have the D4 to use as a firestarter but safety and USB charging are more important to me right now. Are there any protected 18350 cells out there? What is the difference in runtime between the 18350 and 16340? Cells?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes 18350 has as much as double the capacity of 16340

I have not found a protected 18350 that fits the PT16, only unprotected IMR 18350.. I have been testing an IMR 18350 in my PT16

I wanted to know if I was over discharging it, so Ive taken a lot of measurements with my Volt Meter, at various stages.

I learned that by the time that IMR battery reaches 2.7 volts, the light will have been running at about 1 lumen for over 30 minutes, none of the higher modes work. That means a responsible flashaholic will know its time to recharge, before the battery has gotten dangerously over discharged. Otoh, I would not lend it to granny, in fear she would leave it on overnight by mistake, for her, I would provide protected 16340, as stock in the PT16.. or maybe a light that does not use LiIon

btw, there is a new version of the PT16 that will ship with a pocket clip
43724724011_a83b93a2cf_h.jpg

I have not researched who carries it yet

the 0light and Klarus 16340 lights have clips that work on a hat, which is my preference.. I don't pocket clip my lights.. Neither is 18350 compatible, both can use disposable CR123 Ultimate Lithium in addition to 16340. D4 and PT16 are not CR123 compatible, which makes the safer to use with unprotected IMR batteries.

fwiw, the 0light 16340 lights have exactly the same UI as the PT16, click for on, click for off.. hold to advance modes
the 0Light in addition has mode memory, plus a moonlight mode of 0.5 lumens, that the PT lacks. The moon mode on 0light has PWM like flicker, but most people don't notice.

the Klarus UI is different than PT16 and 0light, click on, click to change modes, hold for off (similar to Manker UI). Klarus also has some form of Constant Current Flicker, like the 0light.. not sure if they are at similar speeds.. I like the modes on the 0light and PT16 better than the Klarus, but Im tempted by the Klarus because it can be modded to High CRI Nichia, the 0light S Mini cannot. Both D4 and PT16 can be modded to High CRI Nichia.

among all the brands mentioned, only the new 0light S1 Mini is available from factory with High CRI. Only available in Aluminum, and not a nichia, but worth mentioning, I think :)

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
true,
PT16 has built in USB charging, D4 does not - Correct
the D4 uses PWM, the PT16 does not. - Not on all levels through
the PT16 has discrete, repeatable, lumen levels, the D4 does not - D4 has repeatable levels and infinite adjustments
Neither the D4 nor the PT16 come stock with High CRI LEDs - D4 Does actually - Neutral White - Nichia 219CT 90CRI, 5000K and
Cool White - XP-G2 S4 2B, 5700K
Neutral White - XP-G2 S4 3D, 4885K
Neutral White - XP-G2 S4 5D, 4000K
Neutral White - Nichia 219CT 90CRI, 5000K
Cool White - XP-L HI V3 1A, 6500K
Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 3A, 5000K
Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K

Neither has over discharge protection built into the light
The PT16 ships with a Protected 16340
the D4 is "better" if you want a light that can start a fire - Higher lumens, infinite variability, ability to use 18350 and 18650
the D4 is not better for me.. I don't need thousands of Low CRI lumens for a few seconds - They have the High CRI version at no extra cost and you never have to use the turbo function, it can run around the lower 1000 lumens of the PT16
I would not lend a D4 to a child, it can get dangerously hot - Foolish and irresponsible to lend most any lights on here to children
the D4 is for high lumen lovers that don't mind living dangerously, using unprotected batteries - It's also for those that enjoy the option of 7 different LED choices, infinite variable output, High highs and low lows. One of the best buys of 2017
If you do decide to use unprotected batteries.. such as IMR 18350, they also work in the PT16 - Definitely

If I had to choose between a PT16 and a D4, to lend to a child, I would not choose the D4 - Foolish and irresponsible to lend either.
If I wanted a light that could burn a hole in my pants when it turns on accidentally on memory for a very hot high mode, the D4 is better - has 2 forms of lock out on the light.
The PT16 always turns on in low mode first, this will not work to accidentally set my pants on fire. - Right, the D4 has more options from off, instant moonlight, double click turbo and click to last
I can use the triple click to strobe on my PT16, to signal traffic when I cross the street. The D4 has no strobe. - no disco modes, being 3-4x as bright, it is not needed for traffic.

Do you own a D4 Jon? Lots of children and lights. Was that a qualifier?

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
D4 is definitely one of the most popular lights of 2017, thanks for all the details.

safety and USB charging are more important to me right now.

another feature I am interested in is a low battery warning, before protection shuts the light off
Klarus Mi1c Yes
PT16 No
Olight S Mini No
Olight S1 Mini Yes

another is battery charge capacity remaining
Klarus yes
the rest No

you can see why the Klarus has piqued my current interests

oh, but, Olight and Klarus 16340 lights won't do 1000 lumens, if that is a priority for you.. lights with Multiple emitters are more suitable for 1000+lumens

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Lots of great information, I already have an Olight SMini and S1Mini and enjoy them both. I've wanted a light that will do 1000 lumens for awhile, the PT16 should be here Thursday :)

Jimmy_Chimichanga

Newly Enlightened
the 0Light in addition has mode memory, plus a moonlight mode of 0.5 lumens, that the PT lacks.

The current pt16 UI starts in moonlight, with shortcuts to turbo & strobe. Not a sub lumen moonlight, but it's low enough.

With instant access to low, turbo, or strobe... no mode memory isn't really a deal breaker to me.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
My PT 16 has arrived! So far it seems pretty impressive. I have one complaint so far, the positioning of the clip makes it very difficult to plug in a micro usb cable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jon, you haven't by chance timed runtime on your light while using the 18350 have you?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current pt16 UI starts in moonlight

depends on your definition of moonlight.. for me that means less than one lumen, the PT 16 has a first mode of 10 lumens, which could be called a Low mode, though most of my lights have low modes that are less than 10 lumens.

my pt16 has led 3000k N219c swaps, plus I use Lee 1/4 minus green filter over it, which makes the Low mode 5 lumens on my meter. I don't mind the loss in brightness, as I mostly use Low (<10 lumens) and Medium modes (<100 lumens) on my lights. My use is almost entirely indoors in full darkness.

My PT 16 has arrived! So far it seems pretty impressive. I have one complaint so far, the positioning of the clip makes it very difficult to plug in a micro usb cable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jon, you haven't by chance timed runtime on your light while using the 18350 have you?

congrats on your new light, you are the first to report receiving one with a clip, I have no experience, but, it does look a bit limited in its positioning..sorry to hear it interferes with charging.. maybe it will work to rotate the tail slightly (If that can be accomplished without breaking contact)

no, I have not done any runtime test of 18350, but I would compare its mAh capacity to the one that comes with the light and extrapolate, since the light is regulated to produce the same brightness regardless of battery, in the first 3 modes.. (this does not work on Turbo, which is direct drive, and a High Drain 18350 will be considerably brighter than the stock 16340 battery)

High capacity (>1100 mAh) 18350 versions are now available, sold by Aspire and Keeppower